UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - Next Coaster

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:42 am

if Merlin are going to be unexpected that means that the chance of a woodie coming to Thorpe is massive, because everyone knows that Merlin aren't big fans of wooden coasters and adding one would be unexpected to anyone who knows anything about Merlin!

If they did add a woodie it would show that all the things they have said about getting a woodie is a lie to try and hide what they are going to do, and we will have wooden crazed Merlin adding woodies to the parks until they all have them because they secretly know that the public like them!

CONSPIRACY INCREASES!111!!!!11!!!! NICK VARNEY - ILLUMINATI!!!111!!!!!111!! (no, I am not being serious :P sorry if it seems like spam, I just think it's a funny thought ;))

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:05 pm

No one really expected any rides at thorpe really until plans were released so it really could be anything, the only unsurprising thing is all the rides are about destruction and devastation. E.g The Swarm, Tidal Wave and ABL as angry birds destroy green pig things. If they built a ride not themed around destruction I would be fine, a flying coaster would fit the bill as well as a smooth, paced RMC. Themed, if possible near loggers leap themed around a sawmill.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:42 pm

After spending a week riding Stampida (review to come) I think an updated version would be perfect for thorpe. The racing is a fun aspect that adds to the thrill factor, as well as tight turns, tunnels and speed. It is a bit rough but a new one would be a lot smoother and think it suits thorpes target perfectly.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:39 am

^^^ Racing woodies are great, American Eagle is great (and held the worlds fastest coaster record for a little while unless I am mistaken). Would be so happy if TP got one.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Stampida is horrible and full of poorly designed lateral forces. A more modern GCI would be quite cool, but I'd still favour an Intamin pre-fab if they go that route. For huge ejector air-time, sharp turns at crazy speeds and hidden drops, they can't be beaten.
Last edited by lewis97 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Swearing

MattCamMans
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:20 pm

I always had an idea which I looked into a bit. My idea was that considering TP's skyline is full of coaster based around death, war and destruction, it would be nice to have something else in the horizon. My 'Horizon' idea actually seem's pretty lame to me now though as there is always Stealth, which is really the centrepiece of the park from a distance.
While I was at it, I thought up a few dive coaster ideas all of which failed due to a lack of space on that smaller island.

I think all TP needs is something that is different to what they already have. They have the height from Stealth, loops and inversions from Colossus, tight twists and airtime from Saw, inverted coaster from NemInf, and a cool wing rider. This to me seems like TP already has everything, that is all except a wooden coaster, but I just cant simply see anywhere where there would be room for one.

The only other real alternative that I personally would like to see then would be a low lying multi launch coaster either in the form of an Intamin or even a Mack would be cool!

THis is all saying though, their next ride may not even be a roller-coaster, it could be a themed flat ride...

Lets just all hope they dont but some old, rusty ride from another park, paint it and stick it in the middle of somewhere... *im looking at you, Storm Surge*

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 pm

I must say, I dont think a wooden is gonna add a lot to Thorpe...its hard to make one to the Thorpe Park standard. I would love another Intamin, but I think it will be B & M as already said. Merlin isnt going to deal with a type of ride they dislike... Thats just their way. I reckon whatever its.gonna be, its gonna be a bit of a let-down, altho 50m high doesnt sound too bad. Has it been confirmed that the new ride will be made on the Swarm island?
Thanks. Btw, I'm new. I'm Nathan
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:03 am

The new coaster can go anywhere in the park as long as planning permession allows it. However for the full 50m to be used it must be on the island behind swarm unless planning permession changes. The next coaster will be intresting and will be unuique to the park. A wooden is possible howwever i think we should be looking at some sort of multilaunch or airtime machine. However i imagine thorpe are waiting until the medium term development plan ends so the 850m track length can be lifted. This i belive is 2019 so expect a dark ride or a minor kiddie coaster for 2016.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:16 am

I think we should be looking at some sort of multilaunch or airtime machine

Another Launcher would be a bold move for Merlin...everyone knows they are very unreliable, although I wouldnt mind it. I dont think its a case of what sounds good with this ride- I think its going to be whatever Thorpe doesnt currently have.
Although the 850m restriction does limit them quite a bit, it may change things up a bit, meaning they may end up doing something like Thirteen, where they make a semi-decent ride (obviously being at Thorpe the ride would be better) and add in something new there. However, they could also use a Revolution style concept where they carriage goes backwards along the same track it went forward on- making the 850m feel more like 1700m. It also fills the gap for a backwards ride freed up by the changes to "X: No Way Out" (just "X" now). What are people thinking for the planned standing rides?

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Multilaunch's are far more reliable than the hydraulic catapults. However they do use a lot of track very quickly so would be rubbish if it was 850m. Rides which go backwards on the same track would solve the length problem but the throughputs are terrible. Thorpe needs a ride which is in the 1700pph region to reduce the queue problem fast. This is why i think we wont see a new coaster until 2019 when the development plan ends and the 850m limit can be lifted.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:36 pm

I wouldnt be suprised if Merlin avoid wooden and dive coasters because people are expecting something that Merlin wouldnt normally do. Dont forget that they are planning two other redevelopments on top of this- there was some speculation as to whether the island next toThe Swarm would also house two standing rides; one of them most likely to be a Top Spin standing ride to compensate for the potential removal of Ripsaw over at Alton Towers (dont forget that the developments at Alton will play a large part in what happens). If the capacity was increased as much as possible and more carriages added, whats to say that they couldnt fit in an upgraded Intamin Megalie into that small corner, and then have the two standing rides (my money is on a Top Spin and another, maybe a large Mondial, although technically that's a carnival company, but anyways) to draw away the huge crowds. This then leaves Merlin a lot more money to play around with.
One last thing- there is a lot of free area at the back of Loggers Leap and Canada Creek, perhaps that could be the area for the new ride? This then may be linked to the new sponsorship of the Saw ride, which may or may not be re-sponsored by the film franchise, freeing up that Swarm island for sommething big in the future. Personally I wouldnt mind a flying dive coaster ;)

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:43 pm

one thing which is a possibility maybe not the next coaster but loggers leap is at the end of its life. The themeing is slowly being removed and less and less is being done to it over the closed season. i expect in a few years for it to go and that area open room for 2 coasters and 2 flats. The island behind swarm is room for a small coaster and a flat ride. I would expect that to take place either 2016 or 2019.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Maybe just a flat then, if they remove loggers leap. Again, that is a bold move, as its removing another "kids" ride from a park that is limited in family rides anyway, so that may just be remade into something different for children. I think that would be the ideal place for the new ride, although that just matter of opinion. I do think they need to make something actually over the water-that would really make the new ride impressive

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:08 pm

The problem with that is that they would need to purchase diving equipment so that the ride can be checked in the underwater parts. so maintenance costs will be higher. They may be willing to do that but unlikely. Another ride at the end of its life is the rumba rapids. That could be removed however i think that is getting some heavy work over the winter so that may not be leaving. The next coaster if its before 2016 will be a family coaster.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Meh. I guess it is looking that way, although you do need to bear in mind that a lot of the current rides are under 850m. Dont forget that Stealth, Saw, Colossus and Swarm were all under 850m, and why have a 40m height planned for a family ride?
I was rather suprised by the departure of the Octopus Gardens, but it shows that they aren't really aiming for families, more teens and young adults. Theres Chessington for that not twenty minutes down the road. Also, the new conversion of Detonator and part of the Amity Cove into Angry Birds Land is probably enough for Merlin... Obviously they arent gonna lose Rumba Rapids either, and they also have made the height for X:/ No Way Out smaller so families can get on.
Also, look at the placement. If Loggers Leap is removed, it probably will be a wooden family ride. However, you wouldn't walk through the Swarm section of land to get to a smaller ride for families, same as you wouldnt put a kiddie ride next to Saw. Maybe in time, but I seriously doubt that will happen

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:50 pm

The obvious way round the track length issue is a motion based dark ride but that's for another topic ;)

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Not really...the next coaster could potentially be something like what you are thinking. Trouble is they already have a dark-ish ride...

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:22 pm

TheBeast wrote:
I must say, I dont think a wooden is gonna add a lot to Thorpe...its hard to make one to the Thorpe Park standard.

I don't really understand this comment, if I'm honest. A pre-fab woody like El Toro is BETTER than anything Thorpe Park currently have. How would that not add to Thorpe or be of a lesser standard than say Colossus?

Btw, I'm new. I'm Nathan

Hi Nathan, welcome to the forums! :D

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Alex wrote:
The obvious way round the track length issue is a motion based dark ride but that's for another topic ;)

Use of Spiderman style technology would be a huge leap forward for the UK theme park industry... but you just know Merlin would tie it in to a stupid and inappropriate IP. :lol

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:26 pm

TheBeast wrote:
Not really...the next coaster could potentially be something like what you are thinking. Trouble is they already have a dark-ish ride...

I'm not talking about a coaster ;)

ponder wrote:
Use of Spiderman style technology would be a huge leap forward for the UK theme park industry... but you just know Merlin would tie it in to a stupid and inappropriate IP. :lol

That is more what I'm talking about, the IP that's been mentioned before would be quite lucrative for Merlin so I could definitely see it happening.