UK theme parks from another point of view!

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - Next Coaster

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:53 pm

I get you now Alex, I think. However, what is this "Spiderman technology" that you are talking about? I won't lie, ive never heard of it.
I don't really understand this comment, if I'm honest

I guess thats just my viewpoint- personally I think that the likes of Saw and Stealth have a lot more to entice me as a rider than a larger wooden. But as I said, thats personal preference.
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:06 am

TheBeast wrote:
I get you now Alex, I think. However, what is this "Spiderman technology" that you are talking about? I won't lie, ive never heard of it.
I don't really understand this comment, if I'm honest

I guess thats just my viewpoint- personally I think that the likes of Saw and Stealth have a lot more to entice me as a rider than a larger wooden. But as I said, thats personal preference.

Spiderman is a ride at Universal Studios. It is classed as a motion-based 3D dark ride, here is a POV of the ride but bear in mind the video sections are in 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusKmODM61w

Also here is how the technology works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJqA4ivyQw

It is really an incredible ride and it is up there in my favourite rides, if we got a ride half as good in the UK I would be happy.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks a lot Alex, will check out tomorrow when I am fully conscious (up all night partying yesterday- i went to Alton!).

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:18 am

Alex wrote:
what I'm talking about, the IP that's been mentioned before would be quite lucrative for Merlin so I could definitely see it happening.

I'm not sure what IP you're referring to, but I've always thought it would make sense to tie in a Doctor Who theme. The opportunities are almost endless, and Merlin now have a working relationship with the Beeb, so it would appear to be realistic.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 am

Alex wrote:
Spiderman is a ride at Universal Studios. It is classed as a motion-based 3D dark ride, here is a POV of the ride but bear in mind the video sections are in 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusKmODM61w

Also here is how the technology works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJqA4ivyQw

It is really an incredible ride and it is up there in my favourite rides, if we got a ride half as good in the UK I would be happy.

Indeed, absolutely fantastic ride, especially now it's in HD. It's so good, they made it again, practically element for element, only with robots ;)

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:29 am

I think that would be great if they put it in but I don't think they will do that. If you think about it, this technology must cost fortunes. Maybe they will go for it, but I have my doubts

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:42 am

ponder wrote:
I'm not sure what IP you're referring to, but I've always thought it would make sense to tie in a Doctor Who theme. The opportunities are almost endless, and Merlin now have a working relationship with the Beeb, so it would appear to be realistic.

Bingo!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:24 pm

If I'm honest Thorpe Park won't build a dark ride because they'd class X as a dark ride. I can see them building a big coaster still for the park in 2016 and they could easily remove X and use X's old space and the arena for a dark ride...

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:52 pm

After they have revamped X:/ No Way Out, I dont think they are gonna remove it a couple of years down the line. Also, I do believe that the changes to X:/ No Way Out were probably done so that they could make a dark ride elsewhere, perhaps even in anticipation of the removal of Loggers Leap to remake Saw into a similar theme.
There is also a dark ride suspected to be coming to Alton Towers. Merlin are going to avoid making two copies of a ride, especially in their biggest theme parks. Dont forget both Thorpe and Alton have a ride scheduled for the same year...so if a dark ride is coming to a theme park, its going to Alton I reckon.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Just went down Facebook to see a photo of work beginning on the Island next to the swarm and this could possibly mean the 2016 coaster we're all waiting for! Sorry for no picture evidence! :/ (Trying to look for where i found it so i can screenshot for you all)

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Hate to break it to you but the swarm island will probably not be used to 2019. Behind nemesis inferno a load of trees are being catalogued for next years flat ride. Also a lot of measurement of the arena were being taken. I imagine the swarm island is a quick survey so they can draw up some plans where as the arena will be finalising measurements to submit planning permission which will need to go in soon.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:53 pm

sw7nutter wrote:
Behind nemesis inferno a load of trees are being catalogued for next years flat ride. Also a lot of measurement of the arena were being taken.

If I recall correctly (which I do, as I have an annotated copy of the map next fo me), there was a planned standing ride position behind Nemesis Inferno. The arena isnt however, although the zone next to X:/ No Way Out was highlighted. Whats your take on it, s7nutter?

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:56 pm

I think that in a few weeks we will see planning permission for a flat ride behind nemesis and not too long after we will see planning permission for a new building on the arena site.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 pm

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:09 pm

Although that could just be development... I dont think it is. The zone behind Nemesis could potentially be looked to the new ride, but I would have to look at an aerial shot using a marker pen. One things for sure... if its behind NI then its not going to be a woodie

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 pm

If it is the woodie i have always dreamed of in that location it would be fantastic however i don't think that is what we are looking at. I would not be surprised if those poles are there so they can survey the land and prepare the next coaster.
BTW a woodie could work there if it was a simple out and back and turn around near the island but im not sure they actually own all of that land.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:13 pm

How would we know? I just cant see a woodie going there as fire (inferno) and wood doesnt rly go together...unless it would be hard to see, there would be a rather big clash in theming there

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:29 pm

As much as I would like a Woodie too I just can't see them getting one. I know I should be optimistic about it but one it would leave no room to build anything in between such as buildings if it has a big profile because of all the supports and two UK health and safety is stopping them from getting one.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Health and safety Stopping them? Where have you got that from. The reason they don't get woodies is because merlin don't think they can sell them.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 pm

I agree. Its omre because Merlin simply doesnt like them