UK theme parks from another point of view!

totallylukas
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:58 pm

I've been reading this forum for quite a while, but have never contributed mainly because I don't really know enough about the ride, having not been on it yet. However I have been reading all the spoilers.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make (and I apologise if someone's already brought this up - but just incase they haven't) was that someone a few pages back posted a link to the simworx website with a sort of portfolio page on the Ghost Train. As someone who's more interested in how this works, I had a little read and noticed it answered a few questions that had been brought up much earlier on in this thread.

Spoiler: show
This is the link btw: http://www.simworx.co.uk/?portfolio=der ... horpe-park

So the article mentions:

2 Traverser Tables - Two moments in which the train moves horizontally from left to right. If you google this, you'll see what I mean.

1 Payload Motion Platform - The train is physically moved around on a platform normally used in flight simulators. Perhaps the ending sequence with the hole in the ground.

So essentially, my theory/argument is:

It is one train per ride. Passengers are on the same train throughout the experience, even after the train crash part. Whilst in the train crash part, the train is moved over to the next part of the experience which is on the motion platform. I would also say the ride is a lot deeper than we think. Remember in the plans a hole in the ground was mentioned? Could this be to make sure the motion platform is at ground level on the ride, therefore maintaining the size of the building?

I would say the three trains sort of tango around one another, as it would make sense to have more than one cluster of passengers riding at one time. As to all three in operation at once, that might be a bit challenging due to timing, but all the sequences appear to be roughly similar in length (including the adjusting of VR headsets and what have you).

Sorry if I sound a bit blonde, as I say this is my first time posting, but I did want to sort of contribute something to this, as I know some others are interested in how the ride works.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Simworx received a European Star Award at EAS 2016 last week for the creation of DBGT.

Simworx was delighted to receive a European Star Award at a special presentation dinner on the eve of EAS 2016 in Barcelona last week, in recognition of its creation of Derren Brown’s Ghost Train which opened at Thorpe Park in England this year.

The awards ceremony took place at Port Aventura World and Simworx Managing Director Terry Monkton commented: “Derren Brown’s Ghost Train is a very different attraction to anything people will have experienced before and is truly a Ghost Train for the 21st century. It was probably out most challenging project to date, with many bespoke elements designed and created specifically for what is a unique attraction and we are thrilled with the end result.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 pm

A new destination will arrive in 2017...

Credit to Theme Park Collective.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 am

It would seem that this is just referring to the second ending which is yet to be activated. Whilst it's a shame that we didn't get the complete selection of journeys and endings upon the attraction's opening, it makes sense that they would now be marketing its future addition as a way to sustain interest in DBGT. It will be interesting to see how much attention in terms of marketing this gets and whether it is the only 'new' thing at Thorpe in 2017...

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:26 pm

From Thrill Nation.

ryan8741
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Owen wrote:
From Thrill Nation.

I wonder if the claws are a clue to what it will be about. Will it be similar to the mental ending currently or will it be more realistic? Will it make the ride better or worse? What are the odds of queueing up for 3 hours and getting the same ending twice?So many questions...
^ Credit to Lewis97
^Credit to NemesisRider

Rollercoasters are all you need in life...

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:37 am

Hopefully they won't mess this up. They better make this good and fix all the issues with the ride, rather than trying to add something else when not everything is fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelle
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:14 am

I finally managed to get on the ride for the first time on Friday, we had two run throughs consecutively due to the first one seeing a few of our group suffering from headset issues.

Personally I feel the concept is pretty good, however after two run throughs across which all of our group had an experience negatively impacted by issues, and the fact I was told a few key effects failed to work both times I was not as impressed as I had hoped I would be. Additionally the first time I was truly baffled by the illusion, but the second I had managed to piece together the gist of how it is achieved which has ruined the magic somewhat!

I liked the pre show but was underwhelmed entirely by the VR element and I'm looking forward to experiencing the second 'destination' to see if that improves my overall impression.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:59 am

Deeper. Darker. More Intense.

The Ghost Train 2017 teaser advert is now being shown at Fright Nights. Here's a video from Theme Park Guide showing the ad.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Hopefully it will be just that. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonny9403
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Does anyone know what time it opened yesterday. Because it still hasn't opened yet

theycallmealex
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 pm

jonny9403 wrote:
Does anyone know what time it opened yesterday. Because it still hasn't opened yet

Not sure what time it opened but it might be closed because yesterday just before park close the ride closed because of a malfunction to do with the transits between stations (or so we were told).

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:52 pm

No one seems to have mentioned this yet, but has anyone noticed how empty the ride feels during what should be the best time of the year for scary attractions?

Spoiler: show
I'm hoping this was just a technical issue that's been fixed now, but on the weekend of ScareMazing South, the oncoming train in the middle section didn't move. The lights, sound, and fog all worked but no motion which meant the demon shadow just projected onto the floor. The staff were also not using the megaphone, and I don't recall seeing an infected actor on my first run, the second batch of the day after a delayed opening, however there was one the second time later in the day. We also had the longest green gas section I've had so far, in which the vast majority of the train took off their headsets at least once, and the actors basically gave up touching people. The hosts that day also seemed to lack the energy the ride requires, can't blame them on that though. Nice to see the smell pods still being used though. Let's hope the 'New Destination' for 2017 adds a whole lot more to the ride experience as a whole.

I'm sure people will agree with me on this, that the middle section doesn't feel like an emergency. Tweaking the lighting a bit in the station, adding a red flashy warning light to the slope going into the big room, maybe having some sort of siren or alarm with a recorded message like in fire alarms, some smoke, fog, or air cannons in the slope room bit would all add so much more to the experience. I never thought I'd say this, but Sub Terra does it a whole lot better.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:26 am

I personally don't agree with the last point, when I went on it was very effective! :)

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 am

The train coming out the tunnel was not working at the weekend.

The fog section also lasted for a good three minutes, and people were also taking their headsets off and saw bored staff members sitting down on empty seats.

The 'ride' is a shambles. I really want to like it, but it's everything which is wrong with Merlin at the moment. Unreliable, dire capacity, long queues, storyline which makes no sense, innovative idea but executed really poorly.

Fingers crossed for a more positive 2017.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:53 am

Really hoping the middle section is working by next week, going on it with three newbies and it'll be disappointing if it's not working.

I've decided not to judge the attraction until 2017 now, considering half the attraction is either not working or yet to be implemented.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 pm

New Extension Arriving 2017...

Thorpe Park have submitted an application for a small extension to the DBGT shop comprising of "an enclosed shop and open roofed lobby space" to address "operational requirements" and "enhance the visitors' experience".

SouthParks News has further details.

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Could it be to increase the size of the photo area which often gets packed with people, meaning many don't even look at their photo?

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:44 pm

It looks like the extension will make way for a new scene/layout change to me.
Looking at the video Owen posted, it also looks like they will add a maze style scare into the attraction. Of course, we won't truly know until the new season what Thorpe have up their sleeve, but it looks likely that 2017 will be an improvement of the attraction. I can't see any other attractions being added to the park.

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:51 pm

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure how they could change the ending to have the story continue, while having everyone go past the people waiting on the gantry. It would also mean the guests will have to go to the baggage hold before they go through it.