UK theme parks from another point of view!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park's Terrible Car Park System

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 pm

In fact they would suggest you stay later in the dome, have a drink and chill out, of course giving them additional cash for the benefit as last year they had entertainment for hotel guests.

But if you are like me and have spent 8 hours in the park, then the first thing you will be doing will be wanting to get home.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:04 pm

I personally think Legoland is the worst for getting out, not due to paying on the barriers... but on two occasions last year, one a quiet weekday, and the other in half term, queued in excess of 30/40 minutes to get out, due to it being just off the main road with rush hour traffic jams on the main road, and having to give way on the roundabout making it near impossible to pull out onto the roundabout, creating the queue.

I personally don't ever recall queueing more than 10 minutes to get out of Thorpe Park after visiting 8 times last year, or even in my visits over the last 5 years... I remember when I was younger queueing ages to get out of Alton Towers, but again haven't experienced it myself over the last few years, even at busy times!

I'm so glad i got a Merlin Premium Pass this year though, as the parking fees are just horrible, as if fuel didn't cost enough!

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:09 pm

I've never found TP's car park that bad, and I've visited at some of the busiest times of the year!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:26 pm

If you leave early you are fine. But wait until the end of the day and its a 40 min queue.

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:59 am

I've said this before on Thorpe Park Mania forum, but the parking charges are optional.

The reason for this (in addition to law covering the area), I found out after having the same issue happen to me as people have described. I had paid the parking fee, yet at the end of the rather busy day, the barriers were raised to ease traffic issues. Upon complaining through email, I received a response which was mostly sympathetic about the issue, but did honestly state that the charges were opt-in, therefore no vehicle leaving without paying the charge could be seized or fined.

I have visited Thorpe four times since that incident and have never paid the charge, only once have I had to explain myself at the barrier to a member of staff; the other times I have been let through without question.

I say this as a fan of Merlin parks and a ten year annual pass holder, but I will not be charged when the park's poorly designed infrastructure has, in the past, had me waiting 90mins to leave the car park, all to profit from stealth charges [-X shame on you Merlin.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:10 am

So you are saying you don't have to pay and go up the barrier and tell them your not paying and they let you out?

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:03 pm

bensaund wrote:
So you are saying you don't have to pay and go up the barrier and tell them your not paying and they let you out?

The first three times I didn't pay, when I got to the barrier, I just told the member of staff that I hadn't got a ticket and they swiped their own to let me out.

On my forth visit, the car park attendant asked why I hadn't paid, I just explained how I had been informed that it was an optional charge. Although she looked at me with a confused expression, she let me out without any further argument. Unfortunately, they have no legal right to seize the car and no terms and conditions which state there will be a further fine if you do not pay. On another point, they just want people to leave as quickly as possible, so will let you through.

Please do not take this information as me condoning a behaviour which is clearly not moral, but I have to say, if Merlin wish to charge for their parking, they must provide sufficient infrastructure in order for it to work. The way I see it, they delay my exit to the park for over an hour on most visits due to their charging system, which I feel is more immoral.

What do others think?

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:51 pm

They should not charge at all

onair
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:57 pm

One thing I hate about Thorpe's car park is the awful gravel section with those bits of wood.

Some years back I somehow got my self caught on those bits of wood. #-o As I accelerated to get out I must have got a stone wedged in my wheel. Driving along the motorway the screeching noise got louder, it was a stone from Thorpe's car park. RAC got it out for me on hard shoulder.

I now never park on the gravel bit. For the amount they are charging its amazing they have not resurfaced it all yet. Regarding the exit agree LEGOLAND is worse.

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:12 pm

I think it would be good if Merlin could re-surface the gravel section as it would certainly improve matters for people parking on that section of the car park.

Aside from that, on the occasions when I've been to Thorpe by car, I can't recall encountering problems getting out but I guess it could be worse on busy days.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 pm

The gravel/stones is horrible, and when you got a little 1 litre Toyota Aygo, you always feel like you're never going to get out!

Drayton Manor's Parking system annoys me, as on a visit in summer 2012 & 13, as well as a visit to the firework event last year... I have paid parking either online or at the ticket booth, to find on the way out there is nobody on the exit checking - Now i was tempted to get an annual pass as I am definitely visiting twice, which at £20 a time plus £3 parking a time, and some money off food would cover the two visits for the same price as well as covers me if i want to visit more, just really does leave the question about the parking and if it really is going to save that £6!?