UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:52 pm

*Kaycee stirs spoon a tad more*

Joke :P

Now we get to Intamins launched coasters, RITA is by far the best ride in Alton Towers and she is the only woman i will ever love (don't tell my wife)! But Whenever i think of her, and 25MPH faster and 130ft higher im totally thinking Stealth is gonna be quite easily the best Coaster in the UK! I can understand that Alton Towers is everyones favourite park but to be fair over the last few years Thorpes investments have paid off and as a Alton Towers lover myself i can honestly say that i prefer the rides at Thorpe at the moment. I went to Thorpe on Thursday and up to Alton on friday and Thorpe made me the happiest! it seems that as i have said earlier the parks are different in two different ways.

Very nice point in the first paragraph BTW. My opinions lead me to believe that, with there already being quite a few rides just like this, having a ride with the exact same layout as one before ment thinking up/planning this ride was far easier... and it would be, having Thorpe not planning this before they had heard anything about Kingda Ka :roll:. That honestly never crossed my mind, so some slack on Thorpe for coming up the with design.

It is my opinion, that there are a fair few of ride more superior to Rita. Nemesis and N:I for a start, and Air is up there also. Colossus is a pretty good beast, and I'm not too decided on Oblivion :?. But anyway, I think Rita by no means deserve it's "Best Ride Ever" thingy-me-jigg.

Now, I have already published the fact that no I am not the biggest fan of Top Hats and feel they are extremely over-rated, and aren't nearly as extreme as they look. They, to me, are quite forceless. (Yes, this is from experience... and top hats are top hats... minor differences between them really). Of course they're still great, but it just isn't my preference of having a coaster consisted of just a top hat (followed bya very minor elemant).

I'm obviously not as hyped as everyone else, but still I am looking forward to what is another good UK coaster, but I reall can't see me thinking of Project: Stealth as either the UK's best coaster, or Thorpe Parks best/icon ride (Colossus is worthy of such thing however).

:firebounce:

Philman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:41 pm

WOW scottjenkins!! You summed it up in one! I completly agree with you, and sometimes get peeved myself from people on this forum slagging off TP! AT and TP are two very different parks! People always seem to think about the rides that TP are getting, and AT are not, and just seem to slag off TP because they feel they are getting the better ride. They just arnt thinking what rides AT are getting, but TP are not.... Nemesis? Oblivion? Air? Rita? They are all class rides, and TP shouldnt be getting slagged off just because they are getting Stealth.

Phil :)

Now, I have already published the fact that no I am not the biggest fan of Top Hats and feel they are extremely over-rated, and aren't nearly as extreme as they look. They, to me, are quite forceless. (Yes, this is from experience... and top hats are top hats... minor differences between them really). Of course they're still great, but it just isn't my preference of having a coaster consisted of just a top hat (followed bya very minor elemant).

Your speaking like you have been on all top hats in the world!! Didnt you say you had only been on Xcellerators? Thinking that it was the first un-inverted... anyway, just my opinion!
What a fad.

Anonymous

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 pm

Bare in mind Xcelerators will be the most like Project: Stealths. Hieght and Speed are extremely simular.

Philman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 pm

Yeh but the angles e.t.c are not the same! Lets think of a more recent coaster with a top hat! One thats not much smaller then what stealth will be! Storm runners top hat is said to be one of the best, if not THE best in the world!! Its more recent then Xcellerator... they have had time to improve on their top hats!

Phil :)
What a fad.

Anonymous

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:31 pm

But really, the changes are to be minimal with such close statistics. I'm sure I am true when I say Strom Runners top hat is very different from that of any other, and does not resemble that of Stealth's looks to at all!

Xcelerators top-hat is the closest thing to what Stealths is to be, so I am going to compare them... please forgive me.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:39 pm

Being they are going to be so similar (and you seem sure of this) and therefore not any good i'll assume that you wont be bothering to ride the thing, i mean why would you if its clearly going to be a copy of a mediocre ride you have already been on.

Whats the point of riding a copy of a ride you dont rate very highly, or atleast the top hat element part of it.

Anonymous

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:35 pm

Xcelerator is far from medicre and I said nothing of the sort.

I get torn apart for whatever the f*ck I say! I don't like top hats, OK? Personal perference, deal with it :twisted:

And yeah, it's like I'm going to go to Knott's and not ride the best ride there, instead saying "I'm not going on that amazing beast because the top hat isn't quite as good as what it looks".

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:14 pm

Not liking top hats is a bold decision considering you have only ridden one, fair enough you dont like Xcelerators but you may like others, it cannot be assumed they are all the same, ride a fair selection of top hats then your opinion would get more respect and you wouldnt get torn apart. its better to make judgements on something you have more experience of. some people have ridden 500 coasters and can make a statement with something to back it up, my comments reflect my depth of experience, yours clearly do not.

You clearly dont listen to the opinions of people who have ridden more Top hats and more Coasters for that matter, so why should they listen to your opinion which is based on one ride.

You would of been fine if you had said, "I have ridden Excelerator and i was not impressed with it, others may be better, or worse for that matter but my first experience was not as good as hoped, Stealth looks similar in specs so May be the same dissapointment, although it cannot be assumed that all top hats will be the same".

I agree that the 2 parks are owned by the same company and not in competion with each other, they are not trying to beat each other, they offer different experiences from the same company so you visit more than one park and spend more money (like a tussauds pass), they want you to visit all there parks not either or. its all about £££££££.

If stealth turns out to be a mediocre ride I will eat my hat :wink:

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:24 am

Guys you are all missing the point, we shouldnt be arguing about Xcelerator, or Top Thrill Dragster and so on, we are discussing Stelth at TP not any other launched coaster! We sould be greatful that the Tussauds Group are deciding to put a Top Hat coaster in the UK, and All you critics would be lying if you said that they wern't popular all over the world. So lets be patriotic and stop critisizing Tussauds and start praising them for putting the UK on the map!
Scott x

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:08 am

"scottjenkins" wrote:
Guys you are all missing the point, we shouldnt be arguing about Xcelerator, or Top Thrill Dragster and so on, we are discussing Stelth at TP not any other launched coaster! We sould be greatful that the Tussauds Group are deciding to put a Top Hat coaster in the UK, and All you critics would be lying if you said that they wern't popular all over the world. So lets be patriotic and stop critisizing Tussauds and start praising them for putting the UK on the map!
Scott x

Very true :wink:

For people who may not be able to go abroad to ride this type it will be a must ride and will be happy for it to be in the uk.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:14 am

Round, round baby round round set the night on fire.........

anyone else feel this topic is now going round in circles? Its an impressive 14 pages with just 3 pages of useful infomation.

Stealth, Rita, Alton, Thorpe - who cares what each one gets that the other doesnt? As long as both get something decent.

Thorpe do tend to go for bigger is better, and although this is not always true, espeacially with theme park rides, Thorpe have well and truly made their mark and proved thier point. This is something however Alton can not do - but instead they take a unique ride - twist it and shrink it into an amazing compact space - giving, very often short - but fantastic rides.

Between them, they offer the best of the best. Something we should all be greatful for. Now, can we please stop stirring the big pot of pooh and concentrate on this impressive looking coaster being born as we speak.

*I admit, when i first saw the plans for Stealth i did feel there was a lack of originallity, and still felt this untill recently. However, there was never any doubt it wasnt going to be a good ride still, and even more so with pics to prove it - i feel this is a great addition to the British coaster line up. And might actually encourage me to make my first ever - yup - trip to Thorpe Park next year.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:20 am

"hj1984" wrote:
And might actually encourage me to make my first ever - yup - trip to Thorpe Park next year.

Thats the idea of the ride and the improvements to the park since it was a joke park before, I think many people will be thinking the same thing.

lets just enjoy watching it rise up (very quickly it seems) into the thorpe skyline.

Supports in pic have only just got over half height and it already looks tall. that crane will have to go a tad higher than that.

Nice Thorpe update here
http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/explore/200 ... ber_15.asp

jpecool
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:24 pm

Supports in pic have only just got over half height and it already looks tall. that crane will have to go a tad higher than that.

They arent even half way up yet. They are the bottom set of top hat supports. There are another set that go just over half way up the top hat. Check out the sketch

Its gonna be awesome. :D

hj1984 wrote:
And might actually encourage me to make my first ever - yup - trip to Thorpe Park next year.

Thats the idea of the ride and the improvements to the park since it was a joke park before, I think many people will be thinking the same thing.

Im thinking that too. :D

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!! \":D\"

Luke excell
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:49 pm

well from the pictures on www.thorpepark.co.uk they have got the surports up fro about 36m but the track not ye they have constucted the bunny hop and the final turn to the station i thinnk u will find that they are not gonna put the top hat track element unitll the closed season
AT LEAST THERE ON TIME AND NOT LATE :lol:
What eva its gonna be great 80mph on 2.5 i cant wait to ride it
and i wounder wats its final name to be any suggestions :?: :paper:

and here to acess the pictures of the
http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/explore/200 ... ber_15.asp
http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/explore/200 ... _page2.asp
there page 1 and 2 of thediray this month

Williscroft

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:57 pm

Luke excell, I dont think they will leave the tophat till the closed season. I think they will just keep on going as why leave something if its ready to be put on, its better to be ahead of scedual to allow for any cok ups in the job. Plus their ment to be showing a pull through by late november :D

fitchy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:33 pm

With regard to the above post regarding the top hat not being compleated until closed season I think it will be sooner than that because testing and practice runs are due to start at the start of november if you read through all the info on the thorpe park web-site.

Secondly the construction team (i.e rcs) are due to return to germany before the end of september, there only contracted to install the track and the supports, another contractor will be dealing with the launch sensors e.c.t .

This will be some awsome ride as previously said it will be the worlds 10th fastest coaster that alone is a massive milestone, planning restrictions in europe are allot tighter than that of the usa, Thorpe park is privileged to have europe's tallest fastest coaster and i have to say it deserves it.

Considering recent investment and how far the park has come since 2001, thorpe have done a great job intransforming the park in such a small amount of time. The team deserve a pat on the back for all the effort that has gone into transforing the park, shame there are some chavs who like to spoil peoples fun...

sorry for the essay
[b]

jpecool
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:53 pm

Thorpe park is privileged to have europe's tallest fastest coaster and i have to say it deserves it.

It wont be quite the tallest. Silverstar will still be tallest, then Pepsi max, then stealth. :D But its the fastest. :D Only by about 0.6mph though. :lol: :)

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!! \":D\"

themeparkdude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:56 pm

Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

Anonymous

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:00 pm

They have moved the white track over so they must be putting it up soon! It's all going so fast...

Nick

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:30 pm

We thought Rita was quick once it got started, but this is some progress!

When they do the pullthrough.....when they get it over the top hat, how do they control the speed of the train on the decent down?