UK theme parks from another point of view!

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:01 pm

Looks great, when i get my dream ticket i may go and ride it :P
......The one and only... :sus:

AstroDan

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:56 am

"scottjenkins" wrote:
I think apart from the surroundings, Thorpe probably has just a good line up of rides as Alton.

If not better.

Totally agree with you there pal.

Totally disagree! Yes, Thorpe has a much bigger array of intense flats than Alton has, but Alton has a much better assortment of rides, and theming on many of the attractions at Alton is better (see Hex, CATCF). What dark rides are there at Thorpe?!

Alton has great coasters, dark rides and flat rides along with water rides and childrens rides. Thorpe only have 4 coasters, one of which is dire and Alton have 8! There's very little restbite at Thorpe if you want something less intense. I don't think Thorpe has a better overall line-up of rides unless all you want is intensity.

I went in November and I prefer Alton many times over. Alton = magic, variety & fun :-D

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:26 am

Ow yes and the Beastie is not dire! Most people go to a theme park to go on amazing, intence rides. I would say Thorpe as a hell of alot more INTENCE rides than alton. I can also say that TP have two amazing coasters in the line up and thats not including stealth.

Sorry to say it but Thorpe is catching up fast!

AstroDan

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:43 am

Firstly, you point out that Thorpe has more intense rides than Alton. Well, i already said that in my original post. I was talking more overall.

Well, if you only go to places for intense attractions then thats fine - but i don't. I like going on a variety of rides. Thorpe Park is more intense than Alton Towers now - but in my mind it doesn't mean it's a better park - far from it. If thats what floats your boat then join the Thorpe Park forums.

To me, a park is all about balance, and Thorpe doesn't have that balance (even if it doesn't need it due to Chessington).

Alton Towers is much better than Thorpe Park, as I mentioned not least because of it's location. Arriving at Thorpe and seeing the entire park laid out infront of you isn't great - it's so small and all the rides are all cramped up close = no magic. The Beastie is for children, yes it may be dire to you but it serves a purpose - for children.

Alton is soaked in nostalgia too - you don't have any of that at Thorpe. Even if there is a lot of investment going into rides at Thorpe (this is good for competition with Alton!), DIC investment (Tussauds owners) stated recently they intent do keep Alton Towers at the top of the British Theme Park industry. It isn't just about having white-knuckle, body shaking attractions. Bring on CATCF! :-D

Also, it's intense, not intence.

Mattmills
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:50 am

Yeh I agree with you there AstroDancer but i do prefer Thorpe. I agree that Thorpe dont have the magic that Alton Towers does as the rides are closely packed together, however Thorpe has a great skyline that is increasingly getting better every year, starting with Colossus in 02, Nemesis Inferno 03 and now Stealth 06. Thorpe Park as you say is a place for intense attractions and I beleive that is what the market is asking for at the moment, and I would prefer Thorpe to keep building these intense flats. Chessingtons the family orientated park remember!
I believe that Thorpe Park is fastly becoming the best UK theme park and will eventually overtake Alton Towers

Anonymous

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:39 am

http://www.thorpepark2006.co.uk/

Update to thorp park 2006. test videos and pics.

There also showing the leaving of zodic from the park on the 15th. Will it return?

Hope not

AstroDan

Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:38 am

"Mattmills" wrote:
Yeh I agree with you there AstroDancer but i do prefer Thorpe. I agree that Thorpe dont have the magic that Alton Towers does as the rides are closely packed together, however Thorpe has a great skyline that is increasingly getting better every year, starting with Colossus in 02, Nemesis Inferno 03 and now Stealth 06. Thorpe Park as you say is a place for intense attractions and I beleive that is what the market is asking for at the moment, and I would prefer Thorpe to keep building these intense flats. Chessingtons the family orientated park remember!
I believe that Thorpe Park is fastly becoming the best UK theme park and will eventually overtake Alton Towers

Well, as i have said, it's of course a matter of opinion. If you believe the market requires a park full of intense rides then thats fine. But as I have said, I prefer a more rounded experience, which is why i am really very happy that Alton Towers are creating a ride that is likely to be a much more immersive and heavily themed attraction than anything at Thorpe Park. Alton Towers is a much more balanced day out in my view - and Nemesis, Air, Oblivion, Rita, Corkscrew, Spinball Whizzer definitely give Nemesis Inferno, X;/, Colossus and likely Stealth a run for their money! Also, would you be saying the same thing if the woodie arrives at AT? Also, if i'm honest - part of this is surely stubborness. I live local to AT and you guys posting for Thorpe are in Essex & Farnborough. :-D

Mattmills
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:02 pm

yeh lol im going to go up to Alton this season hopefully so i may change my mind then :P

Chris J
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:28 pm

I like both Thorpe Park's and Alton Towers' entrances. Both are great:

At Thorpe Park, you walk across the bridge onto what seems an island, and you're lead into "Port Atlantis" (the dome) which is themed inside as an underwater port, and then as you step out of the dome you see the whole park set out right in front of you. You've got the beach and Tidal Wave on your right with the ruined buildings and Nemesis Inferno peering over the top. Right in front you have a large pyramid with Colossus' cobra roll standing tall, and every so often you see Slammer pop up behind X:. And then to your left you see Vortex swinging and spinning with Zodiac popping up in the background and Quantum doing its thing behind the bushes.

I could go on really, you know what I mean. It seems like a huge adventure playground sitting there waiting for you.

On the other hand, you have Alton Towers with everything hidden, waiting for you to discover it (okay, Spinball Whizzer is an exception unfortunately). You walk down Towers Street and you have the Alton Towers in front of you in the mist with the lake in front. There's not a lot I can say, this alone is enough to create an amazing entrance!

Both parks have a totally different atmosphere. Seeing as Thorpe is my local park, I'm gonna side with that :lol: Thorpe seems to have an intense and nervy atmosphere, especially in the Lost City (no, not because of the chavs!) as well as the cheesy atmosphere in Amity Cove which Alton now has in Ugland, but I think Alton is the more magical of the two with the towers. And obviously, there are areas of boths parks which I think don't have an atmosphere at all. X Sector and the Inferno end of Calypso Quay.

One thing I think Thorpe have over Alton is the ride music. Every single ride has its own sound track, even the old Rocky Express :lol: I find at Alton only the major rides have music, and the volume isn't loud enough (but we all know why that is :roll: ) but take a walk over the bridges of Colossus and you hear the amazing orchestral music all around you (which unfortunately leaks into Canada Creek now that Slammer has been built - Dolly Parton music has dissapeared here ) :(

Obviously my post is slightly biased because I've been going to Thorpe Park since I was 4, and I've only been to Alton 9 times, but here's what I think :D

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:18 pm

I think Thorpe has only had the massive investment lately because it desperately needed it. Visit Thorpe 10 years ago and really you had a very poor theme park. I remember going in 1992 when I was 12. I found it extremely boring and that was when I was 12!

Tussauds needed to pour money into Thorpe to make it a theme park in the eyes of the average visitor. Alton has had years of steady nuturing and investment - thorpe years of neglect.

Now Thorpe is at a stage where it is catching up with Alton. Tussauds can truley market it as a Theme Park. I think you'll probably find investment levelling off after the 2008 coaster is built. Tussauds will then develop both parks equally though, no doubt, keeping Altons progress slightly ahead.

(I could also note that perhaps Thorpes fast developement over the last 4 years was as a back-up plan should the Ropers have tightened their hold on Alton but thats just paranoia and conspiracy thinking.isn't it?) ;)

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:14 pm

TP will never overtake AT. In fact I think the gap between them is getting bigger. While AT is getting tidier TP is getting messier. TP lacks dark rides and the park is a bit too small.

Both parks have exellent major rollercoaster. Alton Towers have Nemesis, Oblivion, Rita and Air. Thorpe Park has Colossus and Inferno. But Alton Towers coaster are better which is a shame because Inferno could've been way better if B&M hadn't mucked it up.

I don't need to discuss flats ore dark rides. AT has the better dark rides whereas TP has the better flats.

I think the parks draw on water rides because they both have some of the countries best water rides.

I don't think Stealth is going to make TP catch up with AT because while the ride will be great it wont be good enough to make TP catch up with AT. So I think AT will always be No.1 and don't call me a fan boy because TP is my home park.

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:18 pm

RIGHT!

Guys listen, this is ridiculous FFS!.

Please dont fall out over which is better Thorpe or AT, it all comes down to opinions. And yes we all have our views, which we are entitled to air.

Please remember that they are both Tussauds parks therefor brother and sister parks. They are both good in their own ways.

Alton does have magic and the surroundings of the park make it what it is. They have amazingly constructed rides, all of which have no height due to the restriction laid upon the park. What they have managed to do (building the rides into the ground) is phenominal.

however

Thorpe is totally different in space wise, they have very limited space and if u think of what they have done in this space, its hard to critisize. In my opinion slammer and Rush would have been brilliant in AT but they would be too tall therefore Tussauds group are thinking, "ok, we need to keep up with the industry with all the latest rides, lets put them in TP to give all our guests (TP, CWOA and AT guests) a chance to ride all the latest attractions from all around the world.

Its all money at the end of the day, and they want Europe and UK firsts within their parks. And to be honest i dont blame them.

We shouldnt be arguing, we should be glad that they are using their heads and providing us with a fantastic line up of rides for all of us to enjoy!

Try not to be so negative about everything guys and think of the good things that we have in the UK. One of the best steel coasters in the world, and the worlds first TEN looper!

Come on peeps, get real. Lets enjoy them both as much as each other, it is virtually impossible to compare them as they are both TOTALLY different!

Anyway back to Stealth.

Mattmills
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:32 pm

I agree that AT will always be the countries no 1 park but to be honest i believe that Thorpe are catching up fast, they have a wide variety of flats so much better than ATs, but as you have all pointed out TP lacks the dark rides that AT have which lets them down. To tell the truth i dont think TP is getting any more untidier than it has ever been but i cnt really comment on AT as i havnt been there for a few years. The park may be small at the moment but there is plenty of land for expansion later on.
yes both parks do have excellent major rollercoasters, Inferno may not be as good as Nemesis but it is still a crowd puller with reasonably good themeing.
I think that after the opening of Stealth and the 2008 coaster TP will be well on there way to no 1, and will give AT a run for there money.

Anonymous

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:35 pm

Why a run for their money. Its all the same money. Tusssards money lol.

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Ding Dong Timmy! Good response!

Finally someone sees sense!

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:50 pm

I'm sorry it's such a crime to voice our oppinions on the good points and bad points of each park and which we think is better. So what if they are owned by the same company? It doesn't matter we can still debate which is better.

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:53 pm

Yes u can, but we are on a STEALTH forum, and trying to discuss that matter only. Let me suggest you open a "Which is better AT or TP" forum Beaver.

So there we go.

Mattmills
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:59 pm

yes it is a stealth forum but other people were discussing Thorpe and AT in general in here and me and Beaver Dude were just contributing to that.

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:01 pm

Lovely thankyou for that.

So once again. Stealth?

Mattmills
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:13 pm

go on then start us off.