UK theme parks from another point of view!

Gary S
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:13 am

Wow! What an advert! I do like the new Thorpe Park logo at the end there, shame they are not going to use that as the main one for the park!

G
A frown is a SMILE turned upside down...

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:51 am

You've just explained it. Friction from the cable would cause heat. 'cause the ride goes so fast, the drum has the cable pulling on it more and so causes a greater force of friction, which causes heat. The drum has to rapidly cool down before having to repeat the launch process. This would cause the metal to warp or crack.

If the drums cracked why are they doing stuff to the track (sanding paint off, waving a saw around it etc.) and not doing anything in the winch house?

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:45 pm

Well, I like it! Great effects and bits of footage.
But to be honest, not the most original on what the voice over says -

From the people who brought you Nemesis inferno and Colossus, bring you stealth. Prepare for Stealth

What next "assume the possition, now go up a 200ft tophat at 80MPH" :P

Like it though!

Mugz x

:D

AstroDan

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:25 pm

I think the long edit of the Stealth advert is very 'Air' esque.

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:47 pm

I do like the new Thorpe Park logo at the end there, shame they are not going to use that as the main one for the park!

How do you know they arn't going to use it? Maybe they are ordering them in and getting put in place soon because it's very eye-catching!

Saw Stealth on local news earlier! Broadcaster and GP riding it and giving there views, thats why it was closed from 27-29th. Did it very good really advertising it.

I like the adverts although they could of done something original 'Prepare for Stealth' lol :P

Matt :D

rctom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:50 pm

please could someone explain to me how the brake fins slow the train down. I have always wondered. oh and the advertisment has seem to done the trick as everyone at school is like "wow have u seen that new ride at thorpe park we have got to get down there". i over heard someone saying that you fly off the track like in the advert. :P that would be fun :D

Anonymous

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:53 pm

The cooper fins run into slots in the train which slow the train down because they attract to each other but not too much otherwise the train would stop.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:01 pm

They're magnets under the trains which get pulled onto the brake fins causing it to slow down.

As the track is at a angle constantly however and the train is a heavy thing, the magnet does not hold the train in place so it continues on a much slower pace.

rctom
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:51 pm

So thats y they have the sign that says about pace makers. by the way does anyone know if the train has fallen back down into the staition yet. And what are the chances of it happening if it hasnt already happened.

The_Storyteller
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:12 pm

So far as I've heard, there hasn't been a rollback yet, looks good fun. Does anyone else think the advert looks like a massive contrast compared to Amity Cove? The GP might go expecting a futuristic ride and end up in 1950's America.

[spammypost]
Quote:
You've just explained it. Friction from the cable would cause heat. 'cause the ride goes so fast, the drum has the cable pulling on it more and so causes a greater force of friction, which causes heat. The drum has to rapidly cool down before having to repeat the launch process. This would cause the metal to warp or crack.

If the drums cracked why are they doing stuff to the track (sanding paint off, waving a saw around it etc.) and not doing anything in the winch house?

I'm running off what people say, I don't get to go to TP much, I can't afford it. [/spammypost]

I\'m here to kick backside and chew fruit pastilles, and guess what, I\'m out of fruit pastilles...

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:59 am

hey guys,
went to thorpe park yesterday, (how many chavs!)
Park was quite busy, all rides were open with the exception of Stealth and Slammer which to be honest look f**ked! poor guy was at the top of the ride for most of the day hee hee (anyone know whats up with it?)
COlossus and X no way out had some down time, And nemesis was shut twice while the lightweights were sick but thats about it!
All in all good day!
Although it was depressing seeing stealth and not being able to ride it! Hey -ho theres always next month!

Anonymous

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:02 pm

Just went onto the Thorpe site and it now says Stealth will be unavailable until Thursday 6th. I don't think people who went today would be very happy if Thorpe said Stealth was re-opening Wednesday and they get there only to find it closed. If they're going to push the date back further or are unsure of when it will re-open they may aswell change it to:
Stealth is closed until further notice.

Or something like that. I hope it is open Sunday.

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Meh who cares about Stealth when the speakers at the top of Detonator are working again! :-D

fitchy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:07 pm

Stealth WILL be open tomorrow providing there are no problems testing in the morning,I presume there must of been a issue with one of the supports on the lake side of the top hat as paint has been taken off the supports and work being carried out on the track.
[b]

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Well, there are no rides listed on the Thorpe site saying they are closed, so must be open! :D

Cant wait for my first ride on saturday, will try and nabb some photos!

Mugz x

divyking
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:16 pm

me too, am going tomorrow, will try and get more photos and put them on my site

bjh_101
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:52 pm

"rctom" wrote:
So thats y they have the sign that says about pace makers. by the way does anyone know if the train has fallen back down into the staition yet. And what are the chances of it happening if it hasnt already happened.

There have been rollbacks during testing.

But today was the first one with people on. I was there to watch it.
The fins which rise up after the launch act as the brakes stopping it in time.
Took them about 30mins to move the trains back and test again.

Anonymous

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:16 pm

Lucky buggers! Do you have any photos?

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:21 pm

Not sure if its been posted already, but heres a video of stealth rolling back yesterday, courtesy of rideas

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hamhouse/rollback.3gp
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:28 pm

:lol: That looks amazing! Cheers for that.

Must be so scary getting upp all that way, then not quite making it and doing it again in reverse!

Has this been happening quite requently?

Mugz x