UK theme parks from another point of view!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:16 pm

I was talking about the forces that would be produced by the radius of the pull-up rather than the rollback

Anonymous

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:16 pm

"CGM" wrote:
I was talking about the forces that would be produced by the radius of the pull-up rather than the rollback

Wasnt answering to you sorry mate :D

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:37 pm

You do not calculate the G-Force be simply adding the difference in speed. So it is 25% faster, it would not create 25% more force. There is a seriously complicated formula for working it out, but it would be more nearer 5g's than 7.

Just to prove that a ride accelerating at 1-100mph in 2 seconds would be safe, there is already a ride that does so in Orlando Florida.

G-Force (Scroll down to nearer the bottom

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:40 pm

Sorry have i missed something here. I thought it was 1-80in under 2secs not 1-100!

Thomas

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:54 pm

"Thomas" wrote:
Sorry have i missed something here. I thought it was 1-80in under 2secs not 1-100!

Thomas

It is claimed to be 80mph this season, however rumours suggest the park may later intend the ride to reach 100mph.

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Oh' thanks that clears it up then. WOW! 100mph sure sounds, erm lets say fast. If I'm honest i cant see it, well not on Stealth anyway. Maybe on another 'new' ride on park yes but it just seems a little unbelievable to me

Thomas

Con
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Then people will defiantely be complaning that stealth will be too short if its 100mph.

LONG POSTS GIVE ME HEADACHES

Anonymous

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:20 pm

A ride can pull around 6G as long as its only for a short period of time. If Stealth did travel at 100mph Im pretty certain that the launch would be perfectly safe. Anyways, despite the fact I was the one who started this rumor about Stealth going 100mph (Got the info off a manager who used to work for Thorpe), there are no signs of this happening yet and no advertisement which makes me think its not going to happen.

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:53 pm

Right your all a bunch of idiots to think that the ride can be launched at 100mph, you'd die.
The ride already pulls around -0.3-6G's on the top hat, if you increased it by 20mph to 100mph you get a 50mph speed loss on the way up. so you'd go over that top hat at around 40-55mph so that would pull at least -2.7-4.5 G's essentially you'd red out and you wouldn't want that.

Plus it puts too much stress on the structure. So basically get a better understanding of physics before you think of this things. [/rant]

(first post on here for over a year)
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:38 pm

On the subject of the faster acceleration, opinion was divided as to how much of a difference there is. Some people reckoned it was significantly better, others claimed not to have noticed it.

So that clears it all up then.

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:33 am

"Phantom" wrote:
Right your all a bunch of idiots to think that the ride can be launched at 100mph, you'd die.
The ride already pulls around -0.3-6G's on the top hat, if you increased it by 20mph to 100mph you get a 50mph speed loss on the way up. so you'd go over that top hat at around 40-55mph so that would pull at least -2.7-4.5 G's essentially you'd red out and you wouldn't want that.

Plus it puts too much stress on the structure. So basically get a better understanding of physics before you think of this things. [/rant]

(first post on here for over a year)

So why then can Dodonpa at fuji q go from 0-109.6 in 1.8 seconds and only travel over only a 165ft tower and no one has died on that???

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:03 am

Because Dodonpa has a breaking system that slows the car down before it reaches the top of the hill as can be seen in this photo.

Anonymous

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:48 am

Yes but stealth is higher and wouldnt need the breaking system

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:59 am

You do not calculate the G-Force be simply adding the difference in speed. So it is 25% faster, it would not create 25% more force. There is a seriously complicated formula for working it out,

No, you're right, I used the formula a=v^2/r to work it out

So why then can Dodonpa at fuji q go from 0-109.6 in 1.8 seconds and only travel over only a 165ft tower and no one has died on that???

Thats because there's about 2500ft of track before the tower and since the coaster runs on tyres I think that it would gain a lot more friction than a rocket coaster- those brakes are probably just trims and I doubt that they would significantly slow the coaster down that much

Anonymous

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:50 am

Holdon, dont know how you worked all that out m8y but your trying to tell me it would travel at around 45-55 mph over the top of the tophat? At 80mph it probably goes no more than 10mph over the tophat. Increase that by the extra 20mph of the launch n the maximum speed you would get would be around 30mph over the tophat. Plus you can pull around -2.5 - 3G with no problems at all anyways.

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:57 am

I was referring to the Gs pulled at the bottom of the tophat rather than the airtime at the top

By my (admittedly very crude) calculations, you'd be looking at around 7.5 Gs of force and that doesn't account for gravity

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:02 am

The speed over the top has is all to do with the energy of the train. As the train goes up kinetic energy is converted to potential energy. However, kinetic energy depends on speed squared.

I've done a few calculations based on that, and if you ignore things like friction, at 80mph the train would be travelling at about 15mph at the top, with a launch of 100mph it would be about 60mph.

Assuming I've not made any really big mistakes, it would be probably be unsafe to run the ride at that speed.

To be honest, I don't think its even possible to get to 100mph as stealth's launch track won't be long enough.

I find the forces on going into the vertical track a little uncomfortable at the back of the train as it is, raising the speed to 100 would be too much.

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:05 am

To go abit of topic. But if they can do this with Stealth cant they with Rita? i would of thought they actually would of done it with Rita rather then Stealth, i mean Stealth has endless down time as it is & it already goes faster then Rita!

Thomas

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:08 am

I don't know for definate, but I expect it's because Rita has quite sharp an sudden turns.
Many people say that they find Rita a bit too rough for a launch coaster. Speeding it up and sending the trains round the turns faster would simply make it a more uncomfortable ride experience and would result in alot of head banging on the restraint.

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:20 am

^Ah' okay thanks but i would of thought Stealth top hat would of been more Sharp & sudden than Rita's bends.

Also 100mph does seem a lot considering;

Stealth-
Length: 1312' 4"
Height: 205' 1"

Kingda Ka-
Length: 3118'
Height: 456'

Stealth is less than half as small then Kingda Ka & that goes at 128mph as it is!

Thomas