UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:18 pm

The flyer will be totally different to Air as it'll more likely than not have a pretzel loop which alone makes it original.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:22 pm

I REALLY hope it does... it'll be amazing!! they look incredible!

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:24 pm

Well, I can guarantee Thorpe wont want to copy Air :lol:.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Dormiens-Dave

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:04 pm

i doubt they will copy air and am sure it will be fantastic (although many thrill seekrs and enthusiasts don't rate the bigger flyers) and i don't think it will undermine air or upset alton towers

BUT

i just think they could have done something that would have wowed everyone and attracted more guests with something more unique

i am not upset they are getting a flyer i just want them to be more imaginative with ride designs as i also want alton towers too do. i just feel this new era of park managers don't want to push the boat out anymore with new and exciting projects. up until air alton towers was a place people accross the world would come to as it had unique world first attractions now it just has off the shelf models as does thorpe. (as in tyles not ride layout)

NemmyLover
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Air is still a "UNIQUE" flyer. It is still the only one to "fly" on your back. Maybe Thorpe will emphasise on this feature? Have a pretzel loop but also have a "on-your back" Moment?

Mikeb100
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:08 am

Have you been to both parks? because last time i checked Nemesis and inferno are not the same, nor is stealth the same to Rita. and I don’t think that Thorpe has ever had a corkscrew, unless your comparing Colossus to Corky which is in itself quite bizarre

Yeah I've been to both, and last time I looked Nemesis and Inferno were both B&M Inverts, Stealth and Rita are both Intamin Rockets and on the Corkscrew thing, if you weren't trying to pick holes you might have realised that the 2 Corkscrews that are exactly the same are Vekoma Corkscrews at Alton and Flamingo Land.

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:15 am

That's a rather vague summary of how they are the same. It's like saying all rollercoasters are the same because they are rollercoasters. :?

They have the same manufacturer but i don't see how that makes them the same ride.

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:27 am

Its like comparing Black Mamba to Nemmy... Or TTD to Rita... you just can't, who cares if we already have a flyer at AT that means we can have ANOTHER flyer at Thorpe which will hopefully be more extreme... just appreciate it :lol:

^^ Chris ^^

Mikeb100
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:30 am

That's exactly what I'm saying, most people don't care whether X park is getting the same model ride as Y park really, most people probably wouldn't know anyway.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:41 am

I have been telling a few of my friends that Thorpe Park are getting a new rollercoaster, like Air. For the most part the general response is 'Wow, thats cool, Air is one of my fave rides'. I think the fact that Air has been very successful will mean that the general public will look forward to and want to ride this new one.

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:14 am

again i know it will be great people will like it and it will be successful.

However i cannot see it really raising thorpe parks profile much higher than it is now which is a shame. I more unique ride would have given them more of a popularity boost.

But this is just my oppinion maybe living in altons shadow will help them. people know the rides in that case

Craig

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:32 pm

"dormiensdraco" wrote:
again i know it will be great people will like it and it will be successful.

However i cannot see it really raising thorpe parks profile much higher than it is now which is a shame. I more unique ride would have given them more of a popularity boost.

But this is just my oppinion maybe living in altons shadow will help them. people know the rides in that case

I disagree about it not raising Thorpe's profile. We only have to look at Blackpool's addition this year to see how a well marketed ride can have such an effect. There were a few weeks when you couldn't go a day without seeing some sort of publicity for Infusion.

I think looking at things from an enthusiast's point of view, maybe it is dissappointing to not see a UK first or something similar. However, Joe Public (who, lets remember are the majority of the park's visitors!) would be lapping up another flyer in the UK. Remember these rides are still few and far between across the globe, and they've come on leaps and bounds since Air.

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:28 pm

"Mikeb100" wrote:
Have you been to both parks? because last time i checked Nemesis and inferno are not the same, nor is stealth the same to Rita. and I don’t think that Thorpe has ever had a corkscrew, unless your comparing Colossus to Corky which is in itself quite bizarre

Yeah I've been to both, and last time I looked Nemesis and Inferno were both B&M Inverts, Stealth and Rita are both Intamin Rockets and on the Corkscrew thing, if you weren't trying to pick holes you might have realised that the 2 Corkscrews that are exactly the same are Vekoma Corkscrews at Alton and Flamingo Land.

Oh wow, the same model, that makes the rides the same don't it :roll:. Judging by what you're saying it sounds like you haven't been to both.

Thorpe are very clever with the way they market things. Stealth was all over the tabloids, the advert was fantastic and is still making it on TV shows etc. They won't market it anything like Air but it will reach ears more or less all over the country because they won't need to spend alot on advertising, Air and the GP will do it for them as they'll be all like, 'have you seen Thorpe have got a ride like Air now'...

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:19 am

am i the only one who doesnt wanna see a flyer there?

I have been playing around with some sketches myself and have an idea.

B and m dive machine. 3 rows, 1
Seats floorless with western theme. Possibly brown and green.

Station running alongside final drop of loggers leap. Train moves from loading position through doors about 2
Feet for a pre show. Doors open and train is moved forward down a average steep drop going underground. Train slaloms to the left underground and starts the ascent of the lift hill, not too tall maybe 15
Feet, top of lift hill, 45 degrees to left, holding break. Vertical drop with 45 degree twist, world first, into zero g, banked turn to the right past front of the station and into an immelman. Slalom left then right then into brakes then down a vertical drop behind the station into water brakes, however completely stopping the gondola. Again lift then brings train back into station.

Any thoughts on my idea lol

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:24 am

couple of things with my last post. The zeros didnt work as im using my mobile and something didnt work lol . Mean ten seats, hundred and fifty foot etc etc i fancied the water breaks stopping gondola because it hasnt been done yet and think that would be cool.

Dont really think a flyer would fit in with the area of western america! Oh well thorpe and alton havent used their imagination since 1998 so cant expect much!

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:51 am

"scottjenkins" wrote:
am i the only one who doesnt wanna see a flyer there?

:lol: from what i gather theres only about four of us defending the fact theyre getting one! so no!

Whats wrong with getting a flyer seriously? i think its an awsome idea, just because the ride is the same design as something else doesnt mean that its gonna be a blatant rip off of the 1st one... :|

i dont understand!!! Thorpes gonna wanna pull crowds in, theyre not gonna care about us enthusiasts, so far about 80% of enthusiasts think its a bad idea, the general public dont!

^^ Chris ^^

Mikeb100
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:16 pm

Oh wow, the same model, that makes the rides the same don't it . Judging by what you're saying it sounds like you haven't been to both.

I didn't say they are identical, I said they are the same model of ride. Now to link it back to my original point, that the general public are unlikely to realise that this flyer is the same type as Air, just like most don't realise that the 2 Nemesis's are both inverts, and Stealth and Rita are both Rockets. Indeed, most people I know didn't realise that Infusion was Traumatizer.

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:42 pm

'have you seen Thorpe have got a ride like Air now'...

That's the bad thing about getting a similar ride to a superior sister theme park. Even if the ride itself is bigger, the renown factor of the ride will always be in the shadow of Air. It'll merely be known as 'the ride like Air' which isn't really fantastic is you're trying to create a major, renown ride.

But I guess it's a question of where Thorpe's priorities lie. The ride will be a sure fire financial success I guess :). As an enthusiast, I'm pretty unimpressed by the whole idea - but in business terms it's ideal.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:09 pm

Hoping to hear a bit more on this ride soon. I guess that construction will not really get going till the closed season, as they are going to have a full open season and another closed season to carry out the work.

Anonymous

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:54 pm

I cant be bothered go through all the topic, so can I ask, is the flyer actually confirmed for 2009 or is it still speculation?

I dont know what to think about it really, will it be a good or bad move, we'll just have to see.

I just think Thorpe and Alton are becoming too similar.