UK theme parks from another point of view!

djtruefitt

Re: New Saw Commercial: "now more terrifying than ever".

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:12 pm

I think they are them Joseph, the plans were from 2008, but they resubmitted them last year, the thread is here http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/merlin-a ... park-hotel

Tryst
TT Member
TT Member

Saw the Ride - Bit rough?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:35 pm

I went on Saw for the first time today, taking full advantage of the pass holders' day at TP. What can I say about it? The theming is excellent, but the ride itself is rough as a badger's behind. Painfully so. It makes Colussus, which is notoriously rough, feel like a B&M in comparison!

It actually put a bit of a dampener on the rest of my day as I came away with a very sore neck that made the other rides a lot less enjoyable. :-(

Anyone else had this experience with it? I'm going to steer clear in the future and hope that AT's new EuroFighter isn't going to be like that.

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Saw the Ride - Bit rough?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Last season (I forgot to book the annual pass day) I noticed it was slightly rougher than it had been before, I also thought it made some noises that dust sound too healthy. I don't think the noises were anything bad but the roughness is a bit annoying because if I go with friends, they always complain and don't really want to do much else, so... Yeah
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

danwhit709
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Saw the Ride - Bit rough?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:33 pm

I find the only way to enjoy Saw without the headbanging is to lean forward so the your head is clear from the restraints. You'd be surprised, it's a fairly smooth ride if you use this technique!

Tryst
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:37 pm

danwhit709 wrote:
I find the only way to enjoy Saw without the headbanging is to lean forward so the your head is clear from the restraints. You'd be surprised, it's a fairly smooth ride if you use this technique!

It wan't the head banging I had a problem with. The serious, sudden +ve g's made my neck make an alarming noise and hurt =(

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 pm

I went on twice today, now its either some cars are rougher than others or... this is my theory, I always sit on the right hand side and never notice it being rough I did this on my first ride, loved it.

Then on my second ride I sat on the left and got thrown around and jolted like hell. I got two completely different rides in the space of 10 minutes.
If you go down to the woods today

truckaddict
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 pm

A bit rough, hmm I went to TP with a family member in '10 and me and him had so sore necks we found most other rides not enjoyable, so I think it's ridiculously rough, lets hope The Smiler won't be like it otherwise I won't be happy.

Bi and proud

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Many people say the same on Colossus too.

Other people on here have said that other Eurofighters are not as rough, but I have only ever ridden Saw, so can't comment.
If you go down to the woods today

wually
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Colossus and Saw are very rough at times especially during the loops. This is probably more noticeable as Nemesis, Stealth and Swarm are as smooth as it gets when it comes to riding them. I think Colossus hurts because of it's age where as I think Saw has a very uncomfortable train design (Which I really hope we don't see on The Smiler :cry: )

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Forgot about this topic. We had a bit of an engineering lecture in the SB the other day, run by yours truly ;)

I was basically explaining what is wrong with saw, and it comes down to a very basic design flaw.
The front row overhangs the front wheel bogies by quite some distance, which over the years has placed undue stress on the pilot pivot/coupler between the two rows (see diagram below).
The "roughness" is actually mostly on the front row, with the back row not affected as much, as it's supported by wheel bogies both in front, and behind the row.
Because of the extra "play" in the pilot car joint, the front row actually bounces in front of the front wheel bogies, when under high G-forces. Next time you are on it you will notice it now I've said it.

Here's a basic diagram explaining what is causing the problem, followed by the best side-on view of one of the cars I could find:

(from Google image search)

As you can see by the diagram, there will be excessive "leverage" force being applied to the pivot point due to the sheer amount of force applied to the right of the fulcrum. This force is further multiplied by the massive difference in length between the pilot to the fulcrum, and fulcrum to the front of the car, and futher multiplied under the force of gravity.
This force will be further enhanced from the back rows weight, also pushing down on this joint, but not as severe due to the support from the rear wheel bogies.
To any mechanical engineer, this is a fundamental design flaw, that is obvious to anyone with even a basic engineering education, so how/why Gerst seemed to miss it, I will never know.
I can only hope the positioning of the wheels on The Smiler is further forward, or has been addressed in some other way, other wise it will fall prey to the same degradation of smoothness that Saw has experienced. It's difficult to tell from the current images, but it does look like the bogies DO attach further forward on Smiler's chassis, so all hope is not yet lost

Hope this has been enlightening for you all 8)

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm

I thnk a couple of the cars are worse than others. I remember my first few rides were very smooth, and I couldn't understand why people complained. It was only on my last visit in which I rode it twice, the first time was fairly smooth, whilst the second was very painful. Hope it can be fixed...

MJNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 pm

I'd describe it more as 'Jerky' than rough. Although I thought that from when I first rode it a few weeks after it opened.

It just felt like the car jerked around a lot, especially over transitions. I thought it may be due to the fact that there isn't much momentum pushing the car as it is single car operation.

I don't rate it. The indoor part and the queue line is very well themed but once it gets outside it isn't anything special. Last year when I went for Swarm opening I didn't even bother going on Saw. The wicked airtime hump before the Cobra on Colossus is enough to make me queue twice for Colossus and avoid the Saw area.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Tryst wrote:
It makes Colussus, which is notoriously rough, feel like a B&M in comparison!

That's pushing it a little bit! :P Whilst Saw is rough (unpleasantly so), back row Colossus could reasonably be passed off as a torture device.

TheDarkStar
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:31 pm

All they need to do is design a car with wheels in the middle of the row.

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm

As well as the car design being flawed, the construction of the track itself isn't great either. The huge jolt as the bottom of the main drop was caused by the soil shifting beneath the ride during construction. They had to order in a new piece of track to correct it, however the bump is still there as the pull-up from the drop and the rise into the Immelmann does not have a consistent radius.

RITA123
TT Member
TT Member

Saw - The Ride

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:24 am

I have heard that soon the contract for Saw The Ride is soon to run out in a few years which makes me feel sad cause Saw is a great ride and I would hate to see it go :cry: Also how hard would it be to replace it.Everything in the ride area has been moved towards Saw (the queue,the videos,part of the ride)Blades etc.Write your thoughts on this below.

Credit to Lewis97

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Saw The Ride Contract Expiring

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:34 am

I'm pretty sure it finishes this year however ill look it up. It shouldn't be too hard, they just take all the puppets out of it and the man in the barber wire from the queue, then theme it round a torturing ride

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 am

I think they'll give it a bit of a re-theme, maybe a sawmill theme. That way they can market it more easily, instead of saying, "Oh yeah, btw Saw isn't Saw now"
Last edited by Altitude on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:08 am

Well the original concept released on the plans, before the announcement of the Saw contract, was just a generic saw mill theme. I can't see them doing a major retheme, so it will just be a matter of removing any references to Saw.

I'm assuming the same contract applies to Saw Alive, and that will be incredibly hard to just retheme. Perhaps, with its decreasing popularity, it will be removed altogether at the end of the contract...