UK theme parks from another point of view!

Best Themed Coaster?

Nemesis
29 (18%)
Rita
No votes
Th13teen
9 (5%)
Oblivion
2 (1%)
The Smiler
26 (16%)
Sonic Spinball
No votes
Air
No votes
Runaway MineTrain
5 (3%)
Stealth
No votes
Nemesis Inferno
2 (1%)
Saw The Ride
26 (16%)
The SWARM
63 (38%)
Colossus
No votes
Flying Fish
1 (1%)
X
2 (1%)

Total votes: 165

NemeJaney
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Best themed Coaster Thorpe VS Alton...

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:10 pm

I voted for Nemmy for the following reasons:
- The very well thought-out legend. The fact that there is a film-style story behind the theme makes it, in my opinion, very deep and very good. I also like the idea of some people knowing the story and some not knowing it, so those who do know can tell those who don't, thus creating fresh excitement for them.
-The landscaping. I know themeing and landscaping aren't the same thing, but I feel that, in this case, the landscaping adds to and compliments the theme so well that I can't exclude it from the idea of Nemmy's themeing.
- The station. How many coasters have a station which is a fleshy, boney alien creature? I know it could do with some interior themeing as well, but that's another matter.
- The theme tune is also a marvellous masterpiece which deserves to be publicised beyond the theme park world.

Of course, there are a few coasters on the list which are probably as well themed as Nemmy. However, seeing as I could only choose 1, and seeing as she is my favourite coaster ever, I felt I had to vote for her.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Down to 3 for me - Smiler, Swarm and Saw.

THE SMILER

I think the theme on The Smiler is very interesting and completely different to any others on the list. The Smiler is suppose to be a sterile "Factory" setting with modern technological methods, therefore the music, screens and Marmaliser and the staff are the theme that "play with your mind". There is not much more they could put in and I absolutely love this ride!

THE SWARM

The Swarm has a lot going for it and I love being around the ride. There is so much more they can add in the future too! However, I would like to see more fog and fire effect around the area!

SAW

Saw has a great theme, however outside there is not much apart for a few rusty racks. Watching the films, I would like to see more of a walk through before the ride. It would be great to use Saw Alive props in an extension of the warehouse.

It is a hard one!

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 pm

I would say either The Swarm or Saw. I've never really thought about it before, but look at Thorpe's theming! We always bump Thorpe and say how bad it is and all of the chavs etc, but a lot more effort is put into the theming than you might think! Its theming for actual coasters is definitely better than Alton. Alton Towers makes each area very different and distinguishable, making the park very nicely put into sections. However, look at Saw and The Swarm and you can see why they are amazing. The queuelines are immensely themed (a lot of effort put into those news report things!) and theming in the queuelines like the wooden fences and metal gates really add to the experience. Additionally, the fake barbed wire and torture devices in the Saw queue line, and the incredible interior of the Saw queueline make the experiences fantastic. Th13teen and The Smiler has very poorly themed queuelines.

The Swarm area has so much detail also! The destroyed church is amazing, realistic and creative. Several vehicles such as an ambulance and helicopter and a telephone box are some of the main theming elements which add to the experience. Also, the theme is very strong in this area, with the shop, gamestand and toilets all fitting in with the theme too. Dont forget the water fountains, fire and fog effects too! I never realized before today, but some of Thorpe's coasters are astonishing to look at.

Legoluce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 pm

I voted for The Swarm. The first time I saw it I was just blown away, I'd never really experienced anything like it as it felt so immersive to me. I think I liked the feeling that it could be a real scene!

Since then I've been back to AT and do think the Smiler is also amazing, but Swarm gets my vote because I was fascinated by the scale and the plane wreckage!

BEN_BOII17
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:19 pm

I voted for SAW due to the fact that I find the effects on the inside section of the ride way better than any other coaster I have been on. Dont get me wrong the themeing for The Swarm is great but I prefer Saw over The Swarm and any Alton Towers coaster.

awsomelycoolboy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:34 pm

I also vote for swarm. I went to Thorpe in 2011 summer and there were people running around (actors) saying it's the end of the world ect. Then there were police and stuff arresting the, and all stuff like that. I thought it was a real person messing around! Then when I went in 2012 I was blown away! The apocalyptic theme was amazing! And didn't they spend (if I am wrong please do correct me) £2Million on theming? And they continued to make it better in 2013 with the bill board and the 'don't loose your head pun (I thought that was quite funny when I saw it) and (had the always had the fire from the fire engine in 2012?)

TTturtle
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 am

Easy, the swarm. It's completely mind blowing. You feel really engaged with the whole fictional situation. It strikes fear into kids hearts and multiplies the whole effect of the ride. Fantastic. In second place would be difficult to decide. Perhaps between saw, nemesis and thirteen?

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:12 am

I voted for Nemmy, it it was close between her and the Swarm. However, if it was a competition for the best atmosphere, it would go to Blivvy in my opinion.

inFusion
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:07 am

seriously? someone voted flying fish? xD

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:17 pm

NickiFan wrote:
Alton Towers just win. Look at areas like Katanga Canyon, Forbidden valley..You see my point.

At Thorpe I didn't really feel the sense of escapism and its not really themed as most areas just look the same. The swarm island is a much better than the rest of the park but not good enough to make me think Thorpe Park is totally and utterly better than towers.

If Alton don't put effort into themeing then why do we have Nemesis.. That didn't happen over night.

In fairness though, all of the areas and rides you mention were before Merlin took over, and before Thorpe got any serious investment. I'd say since the turn of the millenium, Thorpe has generally had the better themed attractions. It may not have themed areas as Alton does, but then Alton has far, far more land to work with.

If you compare recent additions directly then there's a solid argument to say that The Swarm is better themed than The Smiler, Saw is better themed than Th13teen, Colossus is better themed than Rita... and so on.

That being said, size of park shouldn't be a factor that restricts good themeing and development. Chessington is small and captures the feeling of escapism far better than either Alton or Thorpe in my opinion.

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:44 pm

I voted for The Swarm
As you approach the area you see a littered van and the huge inverted drop. Then you cross the bridge and you are taken away from Thorpe and put in this village! The billboards are cool and have state funny things like "Don't loose you head" and "Take a flight into paradise HELL". The fire is epic and even the toilets are themed!
Close to Nemmy, on the other side!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:16 pm

Nemmy doesn't really have good themeing. Its just got a cool hole it lives in. Swarm wins this with ease.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:21 pm

Swarm doesn't really have themeing to shout about. Colosuss or Nemesis Inferno are better themed and thats because of the the foliage. That is just my opinion

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:03 pm

Swarm I think was better in 2012 with all the themeing. The billboard sort of ruins it, but when all the TV's worked and all the fences were how they were meant to be the ride was very well themed. Unfortunately in standard merlin style it hasn't kept the condition it should have. However best themed is Thorpe 2016 dark ride. I know its not out yet but i know its just going to be epic, just like avatar 2.
- not being serious for that last bit

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:48 pm

I went for Saw because it is well thought out, Merlin clearly thought horror, they thought creepy and they thought gore. In my eyes, it is still the same as it was when it was built back in 2010, although I guess there is a limit to how much maintenance you need to do to an old rusty warehouse, as its meant to look that way. My only criticism is the shotgun effect in the entrance to the building, its a bit redundant and you know when its coming
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:12 pm

between swarm, smiler and nemmie - has to be nemmie - all time classic :lol

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:51 pm

I find Thorpe is well themed with Gucci, FCUK, Nike oh yeah and swarm + saw.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

MerlinFan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:10 pm

I am a sucker for the theming of X - flashy, pumping nightclub theme on a rollercoaster? Nuff said. (Big fish, little fish, cardboard box - I get so excited every time!)

COASTERGENICS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:01 pm

its got to be THE SWARM with the attention to detail and the fire and plane and its just great!
full credit for signature to NemesisRider!

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Actually, I am changing my mind to Nemesis. It is the center of a great atmospheric area, the landscaping is amazing at that station :O