UK theme parks from another point of view!

NoseyElephant
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Fright Nights 2012

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Im going on the 14th as a work outing, very much looking forward to it, especially as i cannot make scarefest this year! Hoping the ending on E10 has improved as it was pretty dire last year when i went but fingers crossed the new twist is a good one!!

The Oblivious One
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:04 pm

This is my first Fright Night or any halloween event, really looking forward to it. Also, I went on the Thorpe Park website today and they have sold out of the Fright Night fast track package for the 26th already! Will have to try and get Asylum and Experiment 10 fast tracks on the day :(

The Oblivious One
TT Member
TT Member

Fright Nights or Scarefest?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I've been to neither, heading to Fright Night this year on the 26th and just wanted some opinions on which event you think is better. I chose Fright Night because it sounds more to my taste, bear in mind im 16.  :D

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Fright Nights or Scarefest?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 pm

im going to fright night for the first time this year too. on the 4th of nov(last day of it) and im wondering the same. scarefest, in my opinion , is only good for one thing and thats riding the rides after dark.  but i have never been in terror of the towers. carnival of screams horror maze wasnt that scary and boiler house was a bit creepy but they havent got it this year. the zombies scare zone last year was ok.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:48 pm

im going to fright night for the first time this year. going on 4th nov as this is the only day i can get of work during fright night. never been to it before. is there anything i need know and be warned about it? as in queue times etc

[email protected]$
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Pizzazz wrote:
im going to fright night for the first time this year. going on 4th nov as this is the only day i can get of work during fright night. never been to it before. is there anything i need know and be warned about it? as in queue times etc

One thing I would say it that the horror mazes at Thorpe are very extreme in my mind! They touch you and everything. But make sure it check out experiment 10! It is soo scary but amazing!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 am

Both have their pros and cons really...
Fright Nights:
Pros-
5 Mazes, 4 of which are free
Being a thrill park it doesn't have to pander to kids, meaning their mazes can literally be as scary as they can make them without inducing a law suit.
Because the park is smaller, almost all of it has permanent ambient lighting. Also as its so small, providing queues are small, you can get a go on almost every ride in the dark.

Cons-
The mazes don't open til 4 and get massive queues.
Theming has typically been nonexistant on park (although that could potentially change this year)
The ambience and attention to detail within their mazes holds nothing on AT.
The acting whilst scary, is pretty uninspiring on the whole, no real stories are established. While you can work it out from the costumes and scenery, the actors don't really do anything beyond jumping out and going "boo".

Scarefest:
Pros- ToTT is a world class experience. Nowhere else in the whole world has the opportunity to use real ruins to house one of their mazes. They also fully use the towers and create a creepy aura around the area with music and lights.
Actors in the mazes generally actually have personality and character, rather than just "Generic Creepy Demon #1"
Rides like TH13TEEN, Oblivion and Nemesis, are completely different experiences in the dark.
ToTT is open from 12, so you don't have to waste the dark hours queuing for an attraction that's indoors anyway.

Cons- The event provides little in the way of actual scares compared to TP. Most mazes are toned down due to young kids somehow making it into the mazes, despite age warnings.
The 2 supporting mazes cost money and are usually worse than TOTT, which is free.
Its difficult to get on every ride in the dark, especially if you go earlier in the month, with only 1-2 hours of true darkness, there's not way you'll get to go on every ride.
You are always about 20ft from a loud generator hooked up to a floodlight wherever you stand.

All in all I wouldn't say either event is "better", but the events are just like the parks themselves i.e exactly the same, and yet worlds apart...

The Oblivious One
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:49 am

Was just wondering if anyone's been on the shuttle bus from Staines train station, and how long it takes to get to the park?

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:13 am

The shuttle bus takes about 15/20 mins depending on traffic.
Last fright night it took 15 mins.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 am

I've been to Fright Night once and though riding in the dark was enjoyable I didn't really love the whole thing. I went on a very busy night and we didn't even go in the mazes because the ques were so long so we just stuck to the rides.
If you're a regular at Thorpe you'll know that it attracts some very annoying chavvy guests and this night was particulary bad for that. So this year im avoiding Fright Night. Unless I'm dragged along lol
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

The Oblivious One
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 am

Fair enough, we have fast tracks for all main coasters and mazes so hopefully we'll be alright!

JoeGibbon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Stealth in the dark is a must do, as is rush. The feeling of speed is magnified in the dark so these two rides are amazing.

The Oblivious One
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Im looking forward to Saw the ride, because of the horror theme I think... the Swarm will be interesting also, but I agree with Stealth being a must do, love that ride. :P

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Thorpe have just released this video https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=633051635387

Great advertising for their new maze! :D

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:33 am

I'm going tonight with SamJ, I'll let you all know how it goes :D

NoseyElephant
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:20 am

Pizzazz wrote:

Just expect it to be busy, and expect to have to queue. Dont think of that as a bad thing though, as waiting in a queue for the mazes adds to the suspense and tension, and if youre a bit scared to do the mazes before you go in, the queue just adds to the wait and drags it out and makes you even more nervous! Makes a good atmosphere!!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Park Fright Nights 2012 in review (may contain spoilers)

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Here is a topic to post all your Fright Night reviews. For all those reading, this topic may contain spoilers.

I'll kick things off :)

Friday 12/10/2012 (first Fright Night of 2012)

General atmosphere
First of all Thorpe seemed to have made the classic mistake (again), of opening for Fright Nights without making sure the PA systems are ready. So when arriving on Park, there was almost no atmosphere to speak of.
Most rides were also suffering this problem, leaving the entire evening feeling like Thorpe had just decided to open later than usual.
on top of this there was almost no effort at theming the park. Park entrance was just as it usually is, nothing on the bridge or main walkways.
However, there was a glimmer of effort. There were at least 6 roving actors playing, the part of Inmates, wandering around the dome, chasing people around, and generally creating some fear.

The Passing
Booked my time to die online, watched the Facebook video, and was genuinely nervous about it.
But unfortunately that's where the good stuff ended. When we arrived and batched, we were briefed by a very unimpressive and timid host in plain Thorpe uniform.
We then went into the old Hellgate tunnel, to be sentenced to death. At this point things hard started to look up again, only to be spoilt by being grouped together for a photo opportunity.
We then moved through to be "processed" which involved having a bag placed on our heads. We were told that the bag must remain on our heads at all times our we would likely be removed from the park! Suffice to say I was finding it very difficult to get in the mood.
We were then directed into a long room with a screen at one end, which then played a video, which I believe was supposed to represent our life flashing before our eyes. This was followed by another overhead screen lighting up, depicting us as looking up out of our grave. I almost missed this however due to having a bag on my head.
Then it gets weird, a panel opens up in the wall, and you are made to crawl in and follow a tunnel on your hands and knees for at least 30m, before coming out into a deserted corridor.
you then proceed through the main maze, where I must have seen only 4 actors, and with the bag on your head, it's almost impossible to see where your going.
you then emerge into a brightly lit room, and uniformed staff members take your bags and give you a certifacte of death, before directing you into a room. this room is then lit with a black light revealing hidden words on your certificate, and a door then opens in the corner.
you then go into the last part of the maze, a windy corridor filled with black plastic flaps, very difficult to work through, or see where you're going, and yet completely actor-less.
Overall I would give it 5/10. There was no soundtrack/audio, very few actors, no scare effects to speak of, and very inconsistently delivered. The only reason I haven given it any marks, is that it has some good concepts, and if worked on, could produce a fantastic maze.

Experiment 10
I won't go into to much detail, although it was my first time on it.
It came across as very imposing, and the actors were very good. But yet again, there was no Audio, which IMO meant the atmosphere was lacking. I also thought it was far too short, after the Isolation chamber, I walked round 2 corners, up a passageway and was out again.
6.5/10

The Curse
Again there was no atmosphere inside due to lack of audio. I have done this in the past when there was internal audio, and it was a much more daunting experience.
Based on this experience I had this year, 6/10

Saw Alive
I did this maze the year it opened and wasn't blown away, but I did enjoy it. This year however, they had crammed more actors into it,the audio and effects were all working, and the atmosphere was definitely there. The actors were brilliant, I jumped more times than I can count.
8.5/10

The Asylum
My only other experience of this was on a staff preview night back in 05. My memory of it wasn't great, but this year I was blown away with sheer terror. I don't know what it is about that maze that they seem unable to replicate in any of the others, but it works. The Sound effects, the lighting, the special effects, and seemingly uncontrollable actors roaming around. This is a perfect scare maze. And for a finale, even though i knew it was coming, that chainsaw had me running out the exit for my life!
10/10

The Swarm at night
What can I say except meh. The whole area is lit up so brightly, that it makes no difference over riding in the daylight. The only impressive feature (when it works) is the fire effect.
The Swarm overall is a great ride, but I'm afraid doesn't make my top 5 coasters.

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Fright Nights 2012 in review (may contain spoilers)

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:04 pm

I went to Thorpe Park Fright Nights on Saturday, and here goes;
I arrived at 9:30, to see the entrance packed, completely packed, the queue to get in the park went down the car park, and I had booked both The Passing and had to get my, con that is, Annual Pass Entrance ticket that I had booked, this meant I had to have half my family go and wait in the 60 minute queue to get a pre booked Passing Ticket, and 45 minute queue to get our Annual Pass pre booked ticket, that was a total disgrace! I was not at all impressed; it made no sense that every Annual Pass holder had to go to the AP Office, just to get a little ticket that is taken off you 100 meters later-so Fright Nights has started off well...NOT!
We went to Saw and got on it in 20 minutes...then the queues bagan...2 hours for Colossus and Nemesis, 90 minutes for Stealth Swarm 2 hours, and all the other in between 30 and 90 minutes! All this by midday! We decided to buy Fastrack for the Mazes in the end because it looked like it was going to be even busier than I predicted, at £14 for 3 mazes...that is steep...even though the receipt still has freaky foursome, nice one Thorpe Park!
Then the mazes opened...we missed the opening for Saw Alive, and thus had to endure a 2 hour queue for the privilege of a maze I have been on 10 times...It was fine, up until the Fastrack started to be pumped through...then the queue just went nowhere. However the maze was excellent, never has it been so good, and actually felt like a decent maze, still a bit short but great none the less, with many actors in...But 2 hours!!!!!
After that we went straight to Asylum with our fastrack and got on straight away and the main queue was around 60-90 minutes. The Asylum was very good, many new scenes and many actors, although I feel the volume of the audio was a little too low, but besides that, it was great, with the traditional chainsaw. I was however surprised to see the Asylum queue has been changed and you now have to walk all the way around the carousel to avoid the queue.
The Passing was next...and yeah; it starts with death, because you will think, why did I even bother? It was not good, no story, the actors had no clue what to do, and the bag over the head just seemed to be an accessory to Thorpe Parks portfolio! The only thing I enjoyed about it was the fake ending...just when you thought it had finished you had another final, but that was it...the actors simply have no idea how to scare someone in there...and it is way too light in there, even with the bag over your head! And totally not worth the extra cash!
Experiment 10, was similar to last year, but still fantastic, and with a new final, which should work, if it didn’t look so fake...but oh well, it was good.
The Curse, was the best it has been, but still the same, but I had many actors in there, all of which were very active
Finally the Swarm in the dark is amazing! I hate The Swarm during the day, I just find it boring, but at night, it’s fantastic, you can see the red LED lights reflect off the water and looks fantastic whilst riding, and the fire effect was fully going, and I only had to wait 5 minutes for the Swarm! Great!
And there was yet again no attempt at park theming or decorations! Not at all, beyond the cheap grave stone crosses

NoseyElephant
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Sunday 14th

Me and 3 friends from work went, and expected it to be heaving. To our delight, despite getting there at 11 the park was incredibly empty and we didnt have to queue to pick up annual pass tickets etc.

Atmosphere during the day was good, mainly because the 3 people i was with had never been to fright nights before and were ridiculously excited! There were travellers on park all day though so every 2 seconds you had girls walking past you wearing little more than bra and pants!

Park theming:
I have to say, i was expecting more. The website made it sound like the whole park was in "prison lock down" which during the day excited us because we kept seeing posters saying "reward if you find this person" with a picture of a criminal so we were making metal notes as we wanted to win a prize or something! All day we waited and waited to see them and eventually they appeared at around 6.30, but the ones on the reward poster was not there!
The prison actors were very good however, posed for photos if you asked and if you didnt they tried to scare you. All of them were very enthusiastic and very well dressed.
Other than that, no other theming really stood out. Noticed a few audio changes on a few rides, Loggers Leap and Deternator were the best, and not all rides had a music change.

Queue times:
Not including the mazes, longest queue for a ride was colossus at 90mins. This was mainly due to it breaking and only running one train. We avoided this ride all day because it just keep breaking and the queue built up and up. All other rides practically a walk on  :D Longest was Saw, 20 mins max.

The Curse:
Started with this maze as last year it was my least favourite.
Queue 15mins (walked past it several times throughout the night and at one point only around 10 people were in the queue!)
Not a great maze. Too much fog meant you couldnt see anything, and to be honest i think it meant the actors couldnt see us!! Not a good beginning, middle or end, and to be honest the whole line just kept stopping wondering if anyhting was going to happen. Never a good maze when you have to find the scares yourself! Also at one point we ended up walking at the fire exit by mistake as the pure amount of smoke meant we couldnt see which way to go and so the leader of the group accidently went the wrong way!
Overall maze experience: 4/10
However a special well done to the actors. We saw them walking to the maze at 10 to 3 in full costume and all in character. One sailer was dragging his legs along the ground and was particularly fantastic. Just a shame we couldnt see any of them in the maze itself!

Saw Alive:
Very long queue for this, 45mins. Wouldnt normally mind but the maze was not worth the wait.
The rooms were very well themed as usual and the actors were enthusiastic. However, its a saw maze and thats all about torture etc and the acting didnt reflect that, they were trying to get in jump scares and it didnt work.
In the first room youre in some manky old bathroom (not a fan of the films so dont know what saw film its from) and the actor was cutting his own foot off. This was great to begin with as he made it seem very realistic and it was some uncomfortable viewing. However he ruined it by then jumping up and running to the other side of the room screaming.
I think the maze would work better if they followed through with whatever torture they were meant to be doing (so dont "cut" your foot off and then leap up and run arund on it trying to make a "jump" scare) Had the maze had continued with the torture elements it would not have been scary as in "woah i just jumped out my skin" but create unease and discomfort.
They never seem to get this maze right: 4/10

Experiment 10:
Queue time 20 mins, later that evening signs said 70mins, it was so good we wanted to do it again and the queue was only 15mins max so dont be fooled by the queue time update signs!

This was a huge let down for me last year as the ending was pathetic, so i was looking forward to the new twist this year!
The girl outside the entrance who was setting the scene did a great job, really freaked out some younger girls infront of us and created a good atmosphere.
We then went into the first room where a doctor introduced herself and explained we were new test subjects. She was fantastic, and when some traveller started swearing she was very stern and srict, remained in character, and said "Gobby, want to stop that language or leave now? you might have volunteered to be a test subject, but i make the final pickings and you might not make it past this initial test!" Good on her!
Anyway, moved onto the "gas/cleansing room" and were in it for much less than last year. A bit of smoke, lights off, lights on and then BAM, doors slams open and this guy comes rushing in, yelling "Hands on yer heads! Hands on yer heads" Literally grabbed people and chucked them towards the door. (At this point you either get to go left or right, we went on twice and went on both sides so i'll break this into 2:)
Right side Get shoved into a little booth and locked in. All my friends had a different experience here, personally i was locked in, and water was being pretty much chucked at my feet whislt someone was hammering the life out of the door. It was quite intense. Different variations from my friends, Sam was shut in with another theme park guest and metal chains were being dragged along the floor outside her door whilst a light kept flickering through a hole in the door, Paul was shut in with an actor, who kept proding him and whispering in his ear, and finally Boy was alone like myself, but he had water flicked on his head and his door flew open to reveal a dead person before quickly slamming shut again.
Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

Left side:
Bit of a let down compared to the right, in my cell i was with another guest and we just had a chat as nothing happened, Sam was by herself and just had banging on her door, Paul was in with a guest and they had water splattered on them, and Boy was with another guest but his room had latches on the walls and arms kept poking through to grab them.

After being realeased form your cell (either left or right) youre marched down into a very small dark room with a scientist who tells you where to go next. You either go down a tunnel or a corridor.
Tunnel
Not as cramped as i thought it would be, and rather short, but you felt the need to rush through as someone was yelling at you to "move move move" and people behind you were in such a panic you just had to zoom through! It was pretty fun, but where some people had gotten wet the tunnel floor was also quite wet so your knees got soaked!
Corridor
Pathetic. A fake arm sticking out the wall, and a sheet above you that brushes on your head.

Tunnel or corridor, you make it out into another room were you can all regroup with your friends.
You then go into another well lit room that is like a hospital ward, not particularly scary, but the actor did a convinsing job that he was in pain, and one other guy tried to stop us going past by blocking the way in his wheel chair.
The go into another room with a tv screen. It shows a patient losing it with a saw, killing her doctor and then part of her bed. She then leaves the screen, and youre all left wondering what happnes next. We all stood around puzzled and she then burst through the door and chased us out with her saw.
The next part was the ending, running from the saw lady we forgot that others may lay wait infront of us so we had many jump scares and to be honest it was brilliant.

9/10 (could be improved in places, like more consistancy in the cells and a better corridor if you dont get to go through the tunnel)

The Passing:
We were all nervous about this one, but didnt have long to wait, only 5 mins (we had tickets for 7pm)
As we were only a group of 4, a couple joined out group to make a cosy group of 6. This worked well.
First room was a fantastic actress pretty much telling us we were going to be killed for the crimes we had committed. She told us our rights, and seemed to be on her side, but the BAM she laughed, said she didnt care and said she hoped we rot in hell. She then turned nasty, yelled at my friend for smiling, pushed me around for not standing with my hands by my side and was just truely brilliant.
Next room was not so good. Half hearted actors pretended to examine us, and measure us up for death, but didnt even touch us to do so, just stood back and pointed. They then put bags on our head.
We got lead into a large bright room with a video playing. It sarted off nice, with birthday parties etc, but then started to flash images of rotting bodies, and burning people. The lights went out and a shouty lady pushed us into 2 tunnels. Both were pitch black, and both joined into one tunnel in the middle. This lead to a pile up of people! At one point the tunnel slopes down, but its a full on slide and you zoom to the bottom and crash into everyone infront of you! You cant see a thing and the whole tunnel lasts forever. Once out, you go through the old x no way out/hellgate spinning tunnel. It didnt spin, Disappointing.
You then go through a maze with strobe lights and actors that are criminals saying youre now one of them etc. They were very good.
Its then the end and you take your bag off, greeted by a jolly lady saying "youre now dead" and she gives you a certificate. She told us to exit through the next room vis the door on the left. We went into the room, very bright, nothing on the walls. The door wouldnt open, and we were left stuck for ages as the door we came through had been locked. I think maybe the room had a sensor which didnt go off as there were so few people in our group, as the lights only went out after we nearly kicked the door down trying to get it open. So the lights went off, and the room glowed with writing on the walls for about 2 seconds, not even enough time for us to read it!
The door then opened to reveal the maze wasnt over, we entered a very dark maze filled with actors scaring us left right and centre. Top marks for these guys!
The maze then really did end.
Overall 8/10. Room for improvement. Needs more theming. Didnt see the reason to charge £3.

asylum
Queue 20 mins.

Fantastic from start to finish. Theming throughout was top notch and clearly showed the different parts of the hospital. Actors were top notch, some did jump scares, some just stared, some were just mental! Real good mix. At some points you laughed with actors, then they lead you to a false ense of security and scare you when youre least expecting it. They were all very interactive and all played different characters.
Maze was also a good length as always.
Chainsaw man at the end was better than last year, you could smell petrol as you approached so you could tell it was coming up, but then he appeared earlier than usual, took us all by surprised and we all ended up running like looneys out the maze. Hilarious!
10/10 Good mix of scares, great setting, great theming, great props.

Hope you all enjoy reading! Any questions about particular parts of mazes or anything, just ask!

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 am

Suppose I'll chip in with my opinions, seeing as I had a few different views to the others.

First off Ambiance:
On Sunday the PA system was working better than it had ever worked before. The soundtrack was consistent across the park and didn't crackle or cut out or anything like that. The lighting is always top notch around the park seeing as most of it was permanent. The flood lighting around THE SWARM is a little meh, but excusable (on a side note they finally had every single effect in operation at the same time for the first time out of 5 visits this year!) But to be honest the whole area was completely void of any sort of FN's reference, the music was the same, and no actors appeared there. The theming on park was non existent which is a little rubbish, and a step backwards seeing as last year, although lackluster, they at least tried something...
I didn't actually interact with any of the actors, although we did spot them and they looked pretty cool.

On to the mazes starting with
The Passing:
So lets get straight to the crutch: the bag thing - complete gimmick. You can see through it plain as day, and it just gets annoying to the point where most of your group will have taken it off before the end. 
So the maze starts off pretty good, and you have a really good feeling that the maze will feature some really nice theming. A woman reads out a random piece from the law and sends you off to get your bag. The area is covered in pictures and overall is fairly well themed. Into the next room which I would probably say is one of the best parts of the maze. A video of which basically shows someone growing up, and getting old slowly degrading into pictures of death and decay- picture by picture - A real strong, sinister thing. Direction is pretty unclear at this point, and for some reason we ended up walking into the projector screen, looking for a non-exsitent door...
So an actor appears and shows us two tunnels. We all pile in expecting to crawl a few feet and come out the other end. But no, this tunnel just kept going and going. From a technical aspect, I did notice there were trap doors dotted around the tunnel, which were obviously in place to pull people out in the event of an emergency etc. it was also well padded to prevent any injuries. Okay, So I'll stop here and say at this point I was impressed. The theming and ambiance was great, the tunnel really had everyone shaken up. From here on out though the maze just seemed to flop. the only theming the maze featured which wasn't recycled, were scribbles on the wall. I can't remember for sure, but I think most of the hard theming, such as prison bars etc were reused from Hellgate. And its hard to ignore halfway through the maze you're greeted by a massive glowing fire exit, they're ever so common in the afterlife, don't you know? I wont go into to detail over the rest of the maze, because frankly none of it was really memorable. It just seemed to be one black hallway after another. Okay so on to the "exit". Unfortunately I'm a very curious person, and the moment I spotted the UV light up in the corner I could see what was coming. It was a fun touch though, and definitely executed well enough. Okay to through another black tunnel with a few "boo's!" and out we come to a pretty weird sight of a member of staff sat in the corner obviously monitoring the maze. Not entirely sure why they couldn't have hidden him out of sight, but meh.
Overall the maze was a decent scare though. I would liken it very much to the CoS at the towers, in that it uses illusion and smoke and mirrors rather than hard scares.
My one main issue with the maze is that it just felt so cheap, as in literally cost less than £1000 to produce. And I would bank on it definitely being the cheapest maze on the park at this time. But then ironically is an upcharge attraction. Fortunately the queues seemed to be empty most of the day, no doubt due to the cost, so this will hopefully nip the idea of charging for all new mazes in the future before it becomes the norm.
Overall it was still a solid scaremaze so I'll give it:
7.5/10

On to
Experiment 10:
Okay judging from others reviews, I definitely missed out on this new ending, but I will include my experience in there anyway.
So scene #1 more or less unchanged, other than a slightly new script. Scene #2 decontamination room, it was really brightly lit up for some reason. Last year this room was almost pitch black. And then the smoke kicks in, only this time it was a crummy little puff. So before we wait to enter the next room, before we leave these gigantic fans sat on the wall start spinning to suck all the smoke out. This REALLY killed the atmosphere for me to be honest. Okay on to the separation; firstly when I came out, something was different, for some reason I could make out every detail of the room. I could see the edge of the shipping container I was in, and the set of wooden doors down this corridor, I'm SURE you could not make this out last year. I also feel like they screwed up the pacing really badly, and let everyone out at the same time. So rather than before where you could possibly walk the whole maze alone, this time you were with a horde of people. The acting seemed far less intense too because of this, rather than a sort of 1-2-1 experience they only picked out certain people, and I personally, just strolled through deciding my own path, and noone told me where to go. Acting wise, my favorite characters, the guys with the gas masks, were gone, and all replaced with patients that sort of wondered around doing nothing. with the occasional "boo!" The maze was also remarkably quiet. There was no sense of urgency at all, no shouting, no sirens etc. So on to the ending room, I just sort of strolled through the last container, walking past a TV with a man who was dissecting a human body, which literally confused the hell out of me with its randomness to be honest. Through some flaps, look to my right and surprise surprise an actor is hiding away. I gave her a look of "yes I see you" and she didn't bother moving. And through the doors and out in to the arena I went. All finished, with a sense of disappointment. I didn't get a single scare from this maze, this same maze which was year had me completely spooked. Fortunately the concept and theming didn't make it a complete write-off for me, and made it at least a worthwhile attraction.
7/10

The Curse:
Traditionally known as the weakest attraction in the line-up I went in not expecting much at all really. But to be honest I think they really made the best with a bad situation here. Knowing in true Thorpe fashion there's no hope of renovating the theming, what else can you do? Hide it of course! And how do you do this? Switch out as many lights as possible, and pump the maze full of smoke. And I have to say it worked pretty well. The actors did a great job of hiding in the shadows, and jumping out at the right time. I found a new love for this maze, and particularly its theming, when you compare it to the passing.
8.5/10

The Asylum:
There's really not much to say about this one. The maze hasn't changed in all the years its been open, because frankly it doesn't need to. This is one of those mazes that is fortunate enough to have an easy theme to pull off. I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but its easy to see why this maze is consistently great, whereas the themes of the other mazes take a lot more effort to pull off and sometimes fall flat- hence why nothing seems to be able to top this one.
10/10

Saw: Alive:
I really liked this and was gutted when it closed, I still think if you like the Saw films, you will really appreciate that to be honest, this maze is probably the best themed attraction in the whole of the UK. The maze was definitely on top form when it reopened, and had far better direction. The actors finally seemed to understand that they were actually characters from Saw films and not just random ghouls. As such they were far more contextual, acting out the trap they're supposed to be in, rather than just shouting "Boo!" at you. My only random concern was when we spotted and actor who had clearly just come out of a staff area, looked at us for a few seconds in a daze, and then scampered off to her scene, it wasn't really professional...
8/10