UK theme parks from another point of view!

dementedde
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Fright Nights

Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:21 am

Just another quick question guys: if I arrive at Thorpe Park next Friday and the queues for the scare mazes are much more longer than I anticipated, then is there a place that I can buy fast passes for them? Or is it only on their website?

NoseyElephant
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:30 am

dementedde wrote:
Just another quick question guys: if I arrive at Thorpe Park next Friday and the queues for the scare mazes are much more longer than I anticipated, then is there a place that I can buy fast passes for them? Or is it only on their website?

You can buy them on park on the night but apparently they have been over selling them again so you might end up in a huge queue anyway

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:59 am

I attended Fright Nights yesterday and overall it was a fantastic experience. I am to review the event soon.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Has anyone tried CONTAINMENT yet?

Really interested to find out what it's like. Something different from the other mazes

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:52 pm

A few photos of CONTAINMENT's interior posted on Thorpe's Facebook.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Is their an age restriction on CONTAINMENT?? :-k

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:23 pm

SouthParks news have published a detailed article outlining all the news from the opening weekend of this year's Fright Nights.

For me it was certainly interesting to see both the new attractions and the developments from last year. THE BIG TOP has a huge amount of potential and I really hope it gets the additional theming it needed. Whilst My Bloody Valentine was weaker than last year, Cabin in the Woods has really improved and is, in my opinion, the strongest of the mazes. I was also pleasantly surprised by SAW Alive which is the best I've ever seen it.

The highlight though was definitely the two Face it Alone experiences I did in Cabin in the Woods and THE BIG TOP. They have to be the most insane, but equally brilliant experiences I have done. I won't say too much as I don't want to spoil it for those yet to do it, but be prepared for it to be on a whole other level to previously!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Could you 'Spoil' it after the event, as unfortunately I'm too young to do 'Face-It-Alone' & 'Extreme'!!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Emporium wrote:
Is their an age restriction on CONTAINMENT?? :-k

It's just not recommended for guests aged under 13.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:20 am

Scruffy Dog have posted on their blog a piece about THE BIG TOP, along with a few photographs from inside the maze.

EDIT: Thrill Nation have posted a photo which shows a slight reconfiguration of THE BIG TOP's exterior section.

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:23 pm

I like that there is something from Octopus Gardens, nice to know that they care about enthusiasts

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:50 am

Scruffy Dog have published a blog post about CONTAINMENT, including some interior photos and a few more details about what guests face inside.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:10 pm

It seems as though The Big Top has had many new characters introduced to the maze and also utilises some new effects. This pov ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6IDcUOCHg )shows some of the new additions. My run through on the maze did not include; the actor after the fortune teller section, "The baby" ,the "runaway circus performer" or the actor in the box. I also did not see the use of extra lighting in the final section of the maze. I am unsure if these are new effects and actors but if they are not, they were certainly absent from my run-through.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 pm

*SPOILERS*

I have recently watched a POV of the 'improvements' and in my opinion the maze has been made even worse!

- The fortune teller tells you all to go down one side of the mirror maze
- The person in the box was in the mirror section, removing the tension scare
- The ringleader no longer has extensive interaction with guests
- The third tent had more actors in (good)
- There was a lack of the chainsaw

I really think THE BIG TOP is incredibly inconsistent and I hope next year it's much improved and finished in time.

jonny9403
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:25 pm

I did big flop yesterday and that box outside with actor in wasn't there ???

Was it the thrill nation pov ??? By any chance ??
Last edited by Ladyofthelake on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit to merge double post

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:19 pm

Owen wrote:

I really think THE BIG TOP is incredibly inconsistent and I hope next year it's much improved and finished in time.

I agree with you on this point. The Big Top's issue is the inconsistency. My run through was average yet some other pov's show that it has great potential. I have no doubt it's a good maze but I was left unimpressed due to the varying number of actors and effects. Despite this, the quality of Blair Witch and Cabin in the woods made up for this.

RedStar98

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:05 pm

I was at the park today and I wasn't sure if it has improved much or not. I'd say Containment was my favourite (although not technically a maze). I was in the first group of the day and there was only 5 people which I think helped the experience. It was more fun than scary, and although I think there is some room for improvement it was overall very good and my group managed to find all four codes :D Saw was good as usual, every time I went round it today it was slightly different- the actors in the pig masks are great and I'd say it's the best of the 5. My Bloody Valentine has improved a lot from last year. The theming is a lot better and more visible and the maze like bit in the tunnels at the start is really cool. The Big Top isn't quite as good as Studio 13 was in my view but it was still good fun, the mirror maze is effective and there were a lot of actors around, particularly in the last part. It's good to see the chainsaw still put to good use :) The Blair With Project is roughly the same as last year and my favourite from last year, Cabin in the Woods, wasn't as good this year in my opinion. It was a bit too dark to actually see where the doors were and it didn't seem to have as much theming this year (I miss the wolf's head on the wall from last year). Overall a great day though, really fun :)
Just out of interest, what's the building that Cabin in the Woods? I don't remember the tunnel/ bridge part being used in a ride and in the exit I noticed coloured dots/ yellow lines on the ground; is it part of an old ride or an old entrance for something?

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:22 pm

It was part of old X:\ No Way Out queue line.

N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:34 pm

So a few people were asking about Containment, so I've written a full spoiler review below (I apologize for how rushed and poorly worded it is!):

SPOILERS BELOW (Until a very kind admin could fix this because I have no clue how to do spoiler tags :lol )

After collecting our tickets in the morning and going on several rides, our group of 9 slowly made our way over to Depth Charge where Containment is situated. We went in at 14:10 to maximise maze time later in the day, which also meant we were let in slightly early due to a lack of a queue. You start by going into a small tent and you're met with a rather tormented looking scientist. He gave a very good and unnerving performance which made the group laugh a fair amount while also setting the scene perfectly ("You see, the virus dwells deep within you and waits before exhibiting it's symptoms, nasty stuff...It especially seems to go for persons with vast amounts of subcutaneous fats, such as this one here (he gestures to a larger member of the group)...that was a joke...laugh, come on, let's be positive yes?")

He then tells you to pay close attention to a screen on the wall which shows us a different scientist who created the antidote for the virus in question. We are told that it slowly sends its victims insane ("Yes yes, you know, seeing things in the peripherals and all that. I believe one poor chap tore out his vertebrae, said bees were living in there...that wasn't a joke" I recall him rambling). We're told that the maker of the antidote himself unfortunately contracted the illness and killed himself, but before doing so he built a facility to keep the antidote in. The antidote was to be kept in here until it was ready for the public, but to access it several stages of security precautions had to be overcome. Our task was to enter the facility in search of the antidote. We had four rooms to get through with only 5 minutes to solve the problem in each one. To progress, we had to work out a 4 digit code which we were to put into a key pad. If we failed 2 or more of the rooms, we would receive red 'Outbreak' bands which would result in actors targeting us in mazes etc, but if we passed 3 or more rooms, we would receive a green 'Breakout' band.

Anyway, after our intro we were sent in. The first room was fairly small and very dark. At first we were a bit confused and stood around in darkness, but after roughly half a minute a speaker exclaimed "Doors locked, 5 minutes remaining" (or something like that). Strobe lights kicked in and we started to frantically search for clues. To be honest, the first room was fairly simple. There was a roman numeral on each wall, each with a different number of green dots on. The first number in the 4 digit code had a single dot and so on. We put the code into the key pad and exited out of the door we entered through. To our surprise, we were presented with an air vent to our right instead of the tent we'd entered through. The vent was fairly large and I feel as if a smaller space would've made this section more tense and panicky.

The second room was an office with a large vault in the far right corner of the room and a desk with a computer on to our immediate right. This time, we had to pin our code into a computer on the desk. It took us several seconds to actually realise that there was an actor in this room. I think he was meant to be someone who'd broken in or something? He was very quiet and simply asked us "What we wanted". He had a torch and we used him to light up the room since it was extremely dark. The desk was scattered with various sheets of paper which included a degree certificate, a map of Britain, the December section of a calendar and 4 large sheets of paper with the letters C, O, K, and C on (which resulted in two of the immature members of our group having a good laugh). I'm assuming there was meant to be a letter L as well because the code was found by combining dates and times (which I think were read off of a certain clock, but as I was busy searching the floor and filing cabinets, I sort of lost track of what was going on). The computer accepted our code and prompted us to search for a key which when found, we presented to the actor in the room. He unlocked the large vault and instructed us to crawl in.

The vault lead into a doctor's/dentist's room. The actress in this room was extremely good, and really got up close and in our faces. Straight away she led one of our group to her dentist's chair in the corner and gave him an inspection. While she rattled on about flossing with barbed wire, we were tasked with searching a large perspex box full of syringes (albeit with the needles removed) for numbers. I soon figured out that we had to work from one end to the other, looking for four syringes with numbers on to find the order the code was in. Unfortunately, my discovery resulted in our deranged dentist dragging me into her chair simply because I was 'too good at this'. "Ooh, very nice teeth here!" she squealed. "That one looks a bit yellow though doesn't it?" (I'd like to point out that she was literally on top of me and her face was inches from mine. Props to her for really getting into character, she really rattled me quite honestly.) "Oh well, nothing a bit of bleach won't fix!" she yelled as she jumped away and laughed manically. I took this as an opportunity to get up, but she was having none of it and pushed me back into the chair. Eventually I escaped and went back to searching through the needles. The actress began to crawl underneath the box, singing insy wincy spider and grabbing our legs, but soon after we figured out the code an escaped with 1 minute to spare.

The last room was illuminated by a pale green light. Similar to the last room, we found ourselves in a lab of sorts. There were loads of string lights switches hanging from the ceiling in here, but we couldn't work out what they were meant to do. It's possible they were there to mislead us but who knows. Anyway, there was a table to our right with a sheet over it, and a variety of medical machines and instruments to the left. The most nervous of our group instantly approached the table and was met with a bloodied, screaming patient. She was clutching a UV light and crawled around on the floor jumping at us when we least expected it. For the first 2 minutes, we were fairly unsure of what we were meant to do in here, but when the actress began banging a metal pot on a microscope, I decided to move it out of the way. After nearly having my fingers bashed in, we found a 'Y+TM=Antidote' written on the desk where the medical instruments had been. One of the group quickly linked the letters to elements on the periodic table hung on the wall next to a padlocked box with a big red button in it. After combining the atomic numbers (might've been mass numbers) of the corresponding elements, we unlocked the box and hit the button. The final door unlocked and we ran out, chased by the patient who got locked in and was left slamming on the door. We got our green bands and left fairly satisfied. I'd give the experience an 8/10. It wasn't overly terrifying, but with friends it was really good fun. I recommend large groups to try it out if they get the chance, but I don't think there's any rerun potential (unless they change it for next year).
Last edited by N3m3s1s on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 am

Good Morning Britain has been at THORPE PARK as part of a special feature looking at the science of being frightened.
In the video Dr Hilary and Laura their nerves to the test by venturing through Cabin in the Woods and The Big Top.

The feature can be found here...
http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/e ... lary-jones