UK theme parks from another point of view!

wakey1512
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - The Future

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:25 am

My first visit to thorpe park was in 2004 and Colossus was certainly something to look at. It was pleasing to the eye and pretty good to ride too.

I went again in 2012 and the ride looks a complete state. I understand rides age but this just looks minging. The colour has faded and the track is stained with rust. It seriously needs a clean up and repaint. I never actually rode it again so cannot comment on how it rides but feedback doesn't look great.

Before they pour money into new rides it would be nice if the older rides looked as glamorous as the newer rides. It is possible! Look at Dragon Khan and Shambhala. 17 years between them but both just as pleasing to the eye.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 am

^this.

I have said this before, but when a ride is in a state like Colossus, it needs some TLC. Yes it is expensive, but now it's a case of birds nests in the track, and as far as I know, that isn't right :P

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 pm

It is also down to Intamin not using decent quality paint and materials.

Air was built the same year but looks far better..

Saying that though, Inferno looks pretty faded and could also do with a paint.

Stealth looks pretty perfect!

MerlinFan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:02 pm

How about a coaster like The Green Lantern at California's Six Flags resort? That looks terrifying! We don't have anything like that in the UK!

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:15 pm

MerlinFan wrote:
How about a coaster like The Green Lantern at California's Six Flags resort? That looks terrifying! We don't have anything like that in the UK!

The ride certainly would be unique to the UK however the Intamin ZacSpin models can be extremely uncomfortable. The vertical transitions seem to be exceptionally rough and therefore I don't think a ride of this type should be constructed at the Thorpe Park Resort.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Exactly - it's a very scary and intimidating ride but not comfortable in the slightest. Very low capacity too.

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:49 pm

But I could see a ZacSpin going into the arena space, just so the park gets a coaster if they do delay the next big one until 2019.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:21 pm

I would expect (hope) the area space gets used for a dark ride building....

UKCoasterB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:13 pm

From what I've observed I think Thorpe Park needs an S&S Sensai Combo Tower as it would be really unique to the park as most of the launched towers in the UK are just launch up but this is also launch down. On the matter of drop towers in the UK there aren't that many and it would be good for Thorpe Park to have not one (Detonator)but 5 with the combo tower so they'rd be more capacity plus it would be a bragging point for the park. This type of drop tower is quite intense :yikes: so it would match Thorpe Parks market of people with the adult market. As well Thorpe Park doesn't have anything made by S&S so it would match perfectly. I think it could theme with swarm with the aliens.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:19 pm

UKCoasterB wrote:
From what I've observed I think Thorpe Park needs an S&S Sensai Combo Tower as it would be really unique to the park as most of the launched towers in the UK are just launch up but this is also launch down. On the matter of drop towers in the UK there aren't that many and it would be good for Thorpe Park to have not one (Detonator)but 5 with the combo tower so they'rd be more capacity plus it would be a bragging point for the park. This type of drop tower is quite intense :yikes: so it would match Thorpe Parks market of people with the adult market. As well Thorpe Park doesn't have anything made by S&S so it would match perfectly. I think it could theme with swarm with the aliens.

Thorpe are changing their target audience to be more family-orientated.

They also do have attractions manufactured by S&S (Rush & Slammer)

I don't think they would consider adding another drop tower style attraction while Detonator is still around.

MerlinFan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:42 pm

Detonator is scary! Went on it for the first time in years not that long ago and was quite cocky about it - took the mick out of my husband because he was scared about going on it. Had forgotten just how high it is and when sat at the top I was petrified!! My heart was going ten to the dozen. I also thought the drop itself would feel like a split second but it seemed to go on forever and I my scream actually ran out of breath before I got to the bottom! Next time, I will think twice haha.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Flamingoland already have an S&S combo tower and it's pretty crap.

Detonator is arguably the best drop tower in the UK so I can't nor would I want to see it leaving anytime soon.

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 pm

I think Detonator should be re-built to have a much higher though-put. I want to see TP to have some rides that have a good amount of people-per-hour on the ride!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Could always add the 2nd tower like planned. The lack of planning permission implies to me that we wont see anything new in 2015 until may.

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Was at the park on Monday and have seen a large digger next to the inferno shop, maybe waiting planning permission for a flat ride in 2015?
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 pm

jamesc wrote:
Was at the park on Monday and have seen a large digger next to the inferno shop, maybe waiting planning permission for a flat ride in 2015?

Or this :P - http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/southparks ... orpe-park/

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 pm

That looks and sounds very exciting!

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Expect to see some work on the beach for next season, a new double flowrider and some cosmetic work to make the area a bit more attractive.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:14 pm

The flow rider was unpopular so to install a double one sounds odd. When did you get that information? Also just because 2016 is a high investment and what enthusiasts want doesn't mean the public will get behind it. £30m isn't much of a budget in the grand scheme of things and seeing as more and more are experiencing the likes of universal and disney it could be a big disappointment. In which case they could have a repeat of the swarm especially if its marketed wrong.

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Im glad that Thorpe is getting a decent investment for 2016. I can imagine something like Arthur at Europa fits the description pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTqO0YFF9EQ