UK theme parks from another point of view!

nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Colossus

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Was very smooth today, only complaint is the restraints, they’re the only restraints in the country these days that feel like they’re going to break my collar bones, I am 6’3” and have big shoulders, they close so tightly on my collar bones to get that seat belt in. 

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Not sure what this might mean, but there was green tape on some of colossus' supports today that looked relatively new. They're along the queue line next to the walking dead building. I don't think it was painters tape either as it got done not long ago. This is probably nothing but thought someone might have a clue as to what it could be, if anything. I'm still a bit new to make a judgement really.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Htjc_ wrote:
Not sure what this might mean, but there was green tape on some of colossus' supports today that looked relatively new. They're along the queue line next to the walking dead building. I don't think it was painters tape either as it got done not long ago. This is probably nothing but thought someone might have a clue as to what it could be, if anything. I'm still a bit new to make a judgement really.

Is the tape on the ride supports of the lift hill, or on the track going into the station? I don't suppose you got a photo of it?

I've been taking a closer look at Colossus since it had a week long closure earlier this year and haven't spotted anything that looks out of place yet. My last trip was a few weeks ago.

The simplest thing could be that they're using it to mark out where they want lighting for Fright Nights, although I'm sure the lighting was left up from last year. But strange markings appearing in places may have more interesting meanings! :)

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:19 pm

Yeah it was on the lift hill, I should have got a photo. Nothing else seemed odd, just thought it be worth mentioning. Lighting does seem likely though.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 pm

There'll be a load of forum members there on Friday and Saturday this week, so I'm sure they'll have their eyes peeled now. :)

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:58 am

The latest Thorpe Park Winter Update covers Colossus.

A key change this year is that the water under Colossus has been removed and the area will now be entirely hard standing. The engineer in the video reports that this will allow easier daily inspections of the support structure.

Reading between the lines, I think Colossus is heading towards its end-of-life. We already had a seemingly unplanned closure of the entire Colossus complex last year, to presumably perform structural checks on the ride in that area. This change to specifically make daily inspections easier, suggests to me that they are having to check things now that they weren't previously having to check with such regularity.

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 am

This is a picture I took last year of said area...

I did initially wonder if it was because of the swans and birds nesting, which we know has caused problems for the ride in the past.

It has also been suggested it is down to issues with the supports, and possible sinking!

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:16 am

COLOSSUS
Experience a massive ten exhilarating inversions including a vertical loop, cobra roll, double corkscrew and the UK’s only quadruple barrel roll!

With the closed season upon us, how would you review Colossus at the THORPE PARK Resort?

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 am

Come back later

A wonderous mix of unreliability and discomfort. But when the gods are in your favour, it's an alright and enjoyable ride. :)

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:38 pm

I remember being in absolute awe of this when it first opened. It looked so impressive for, what i think was 14/15 year old me. It hasn't aged that badly when you think of how old she actually is. Yes she needs a bit of TLC in the way she looks and runs, but its not bad for a coaster that turns 17 this year.

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:44 pm

I do enjoy Colossus, however, the queue times have often put me off. Being over 6ft, the ride is also uncomfortable, especially if sitting in the rear row of each car. As one of the main coasters, I do like to grab a ride on it when I visit.

In a strange way, the station has a certain charm about it. It feels very classic which adds to the lost city theme. I also think the soundtrack for the ride is iconic. I particularly like the soundtrack, along with Inferno's.

Sporech
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:38 am

The legroom is the biggest problem on Colossus for me.
Also, it's so hard to actually get in and out of the trains; If I want to drop my bag off in the luggage hold, it's horrible to climb through the train and then back in again.

That said, I don't find this ride rough at all. I find SAW very rough, but Colossus I have no problems with. The only bit that puts me off is the barrel rolls, which really grind against your shoulders.
Still one of my favourites at Thorpe though. The area around it is nicely landscaped and I like how it interacts with the path. 

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 am

Colossus was actually my first inverting coaster. I guess I figured that if I could survive the ride which held the world record at the time, I’d be alright on anything...

Nowadays, it’s the coaster at Thorpe which I don’t mind missing out on if the queue is particularly long, given the relatively uncomfortable ride experience.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:35 pm

For me, Colossus has reached the point where I'll do it once a season but otherwise I tend to give it a miss. The trains are uncomfortable, and at points it is just too rough to be enjoyable anymore. Whilst it has received the odd paint touch up, it is also in desperate need of some serious TLC. I know it is meant to be located in the Lost City, but there is a difference between something being themed to a ruin and it looking neglected.

I also find the operations on it are usually some of the slowest on park - usually not helped by it running on one train for a lot of the time.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm

In fairness to Thorpe, I do believe they ran Colossus on 2 trains for the whole season last year - or at least on weekends and busy days. It's just that turn-around time is so bad, it seems like it's only running one train. I once timed 7 minute regular dispatch intervals. :roll:

Pro-tip avoid if raining, as you'll probably sit in the brakes by the station for a few minutes if they're running two trains.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Colossus is one of those rides that really got me into theme parks and general geekery. That being said, I have no real love for the ride as it's turned into a rather unpleasant experience all round. The ride also used to look pretty spectacular but as the years has passed and the park has failed to maintain any sort of appearance standard it's lost even that value. 

The ride was dated technology even when it opened and the train design has always been utterly horrid, the roughness though is primarily caused by the ride shifting on the infilled land which is why the park has gone to the effort of removing the waterways underneath in recent years. 

It would be nice to see the ride undergo a major overhaul including a repaint and new trains, but I don't think it will fix the rides roughness so it's probably best to remove it and replace it with something else entirely. 

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:50 pm

I do agree, I feel that it will be the first of any major coaster to go. A Mack triple launch coaster would be a nice replacement, even if they decided to keep the Lost City theme!

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 pm

I actually can't stand this ride, being a bigger guy it can be painful and a tough squeeze but even besides that, it's an extremely rough ride for those of other sizes and it just makes riding it uncomfortable. The theme is just a mess in some points, it does look extremely run down compared to it's past and honestly I avoid this ride the most, I do 1 or 2 rides throughout the season and that's enough for me.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:32 pm

I must be a rare breed in that I don't actually find Colossus at all rough. There is some vibration from the floor of the train but it doesn't really have any jolts in the same way that Saw and The Smiler do. If it wasn't for the awful design of the trains, I would find Colossus much more enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it's unpleasant to ride.

Sporech
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 pm

Dan wrote:
I must be a rare breed in that I don't actually find Colossus at all rough. There is some vibration from the floor of the train but it doesn't really have any jolts in the same way that Saw and The Smiler do. If it wasn't for the awful design of the trains, I would find Colossus much more enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it's unpleasant to ride.

Same honestly. I don't find it painful aside from lack of legroom. Same with Smiler, I don't think it's rough at all, meanwhile I find SAW unbearably rough. Not sure what the logic behind it is.