UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Colossus

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Thorpe Park have completed their winter work on Colossus, with it all ready for the 2019 season. :)

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Think the track is trying to start looking the same colour as the trains..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

WickerBoy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Was it just me or was the old music playing yesterday?

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:45 pm

WickerBoy wrote:

We never ventured into the station. But it's quite possible there have been some audio changes at the park.

SNCoasters
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:07 pm

WickerBoy wrote:

I thought so too, around the whole of the lost city.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:18 am

Well doesn’t this look......lovely?

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Dan wrote:
Well doesn’t this look......lovely?

It's a shame it looks in such a state. I think the fact it has to have this done for better/more frequent inspection along with the lack of a full repaint even though it's needed one for a good few years now must signal it's in its final stages. I personally wouldn't be too fussed to see it go soon. It gives me a headache after every ride no matter where I sit so if it goes and is actually replaced I'd be happy. It's unfortunate it hasn't aged well.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!

Wickerwoman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:43 pm

I was at Thorpe today and Colossus was running 2 trains but not allowing anybody to sit in the middle of the train. They didn’t say why. Does anybody know?

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 21, 2019 6:17 pm

So, first of all, Colossus surprised me a lot. Not only was it much better than I had originally expected, but it managed to beat out Saw in my list (coming soon). So, what was it exactly that surprised me?

First of all, the whole area is very good for taking off ride photos. There’s track pretty much wherever you are in the ride are, and that’s great. The queueline is a bit confusing, basically cattlepens that aren’t switchbacks, but the station is awesome. There is great attention to detail both on the interior and exterior of the building. 

I sat on the third row, as close as I could to the front, and it was my first ride of the day, so I had tried to get the smoothest ride possible. And it worked. It wasn’t exactly silk smooth like B&Ms, but the only part I experienced any headbanging was the entrance into the Cobra Roll. 

Now, for the actual layout. The first half isn’t exactly inspiring, but after you exit the Cobra Roll, it really starts to pick up. The two corkscrews are snappy and intense, and the quadruple heartline rolls were as awesome as I had hoped. But the best part was yet to come. That final counter-clockwise heartline roll. Wow. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it is on a slope, so you gain speed going through it, and its awesome. 

So overall, not the best coaster in the park, but blew my expectations out of the water. Overall: 8.5/10

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:52 pm

In a bid I suspect to try and make the station operate a little more efficiently, the gate on the baggage rack has been removed.

In theory it should have been moved by staff after each train, but in reality there was never enough time with all the rechecks that occur on Colossus, meaning only half the rack was only ever usable.

Seemed to make the process a little quicker. Next step I guess would be to replace the trains! :lol

KaiPhillips
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:39 pm

This has been painted on a colossus support towards bouncezilla. I haven't noticed it on any supports other than this one.

#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 Flug der Damonen #6 The Swarm #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA

nemmyrules
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Help, nervous coaster enthusiast!

Hello everyone, my name is George and I am terrified of riding Colossus. I have ridden every other coaster in the park multiple times and have not found an issue, but I'm terrified of being sick on Colossus. I am severely emetophobic, which means I am essentially terrified of vomit. I have ridden all of the rollercoasters except for the Smiler at Alton Towers for the same reason. My favourite ride is Nemesis, and that is intense as hell so I just want to know if Colossus makes you feel as sick as other rides on the park. Obviously as an aging Intamin it isn't going to be smooth but I'm just worried about how sick them quadruple heartline rolls and the reverse one at the end will make me feel. Thank you!

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:49 pm

It is hard to say exactly how you will feel as we will all react differently, however, if you've conquered all of the other rides at Thorpe Park and Alton Towers (obviously not counting The Smiler) then I am confident that you'll be absolutely fine.

The heart line rolls are fun. They don't make you feel sick or dizzy, so you'll be fine. Yes, it is rougher than some coasters but in reality it is not that bad!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:35 pm

nemmyrules wrote:
Help, nervous coaster enthusiast!

Hello everyone, my name is George and I am terrified of riding Colossus. I have ridden every other coaster in the park multiple times and have not found an issue, but I'm terrified of being sick on Colossus. I am severely emetophobic, which means I am essentially terrified of vomit. I have ridden all of the rollercoasters except for the Smiler at Alton Towers for the same reason. My favourite ride is Nemesis, and that is intense as hell so I just want to know if Colossus makes you feel as sick as other rides on the park. Obviously as an aging Intamin it isn't going to be smooth but I'm just worried about how sick them quadruple heartline rolls and the reverse one at the end will make me feel. Thank you

If you can handle SAW, Nemesis (and Nemesis Inferno), as Justin say's you should be fine with Colossus and The Smiler.  
Anti motion sickness advice, you could try one or more of the following
1) Travel sickness pills (bear in mind that these work by making you drowsy/sleepy)
2)  Seabands wrist bands (they work by pressure points)
3) Flat CocaCola (make sure it has gone flat before drinking)
4) Ginger
5) Peppermint (could be tea, but I use the extra strong peppermints, Tesco do their own branded ones for a £1 for a pack of 4) , Suck on one in-between rides as they can be a choking hazard if consuming on the rides. 

****The peppermints is my recommended method which I currently use, but all of the above works well.   Like I said with the travel sickness pills, they can make you very sleepy which is not good if you are driving and could also put a damper on your day, but should wear off withing 6 to 8 hours, read the instructions on the box for more info******

KaiPhillips
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm

Anybody on resort today and witness the diabolical operations on Colossus?
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 Flug der Damonen #6 The Swarm #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Colossus now has a smoke effect between the 4th and 5th inversions (the corkscrews), which ranges from barely visible to being quite a lot of smoke.

Presumably it's for Fright Nights. So don't be concerned if you see it, it's not a stray cigarette that's set the vegetation alight!