UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Slammer: Staying or going?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:16 pm

I actually have non painful rides on slammer, you just need a tight lap bar and loose shoulder bars.
It's unique experience and the fact it's the last one in the world make it great for Thorpe.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Slammer: Staying or going?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 pm

^Ah, so that's where I went wrong. I always had tight both, and it hurt like hell... I feel like a fool now...

tomglazed
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:19 pm

The tight shoulder restraints appear to be a big contributor to those that say the ride is painful. It might be in Thorpe's best interests to put something in the queue line announcement or loading announcement about pulling the shoulder bar down so it rests lightly on your shoulders and pull the lap bar down snugly across your hips; almost in the same vein as an airline safety video but if that is what it takes then so be it.
If only you knew what I knew, then you could see just what I see.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:12 pm

SamJ wrote:
It's unique experience and the fact it's the last one in the world make it great for Thorpe.

It's not the last one though. Six Flags New England still have the one that was built before the Slammer that used to be at Astro World before it closed down.

Take a look.

But that doesn't mean it's any less unique. I'd like to think that both will remain strong (even if that is at other parks around the world) to preserve the ride for future generations. There are few companies out there that can make rides as weird, wonderful and sometimes as painful as Arrow Dynamics/S&S Power. :P
Last edited by BigAl on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomglazed
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:46 pm

While S&S no longer produce the ride, as long as they provide support to Six Flags and Thorpe for their rides then they will keep it up until management decide it isn't worth it anymore.

Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Slammer: Staying or going?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm

I thought there were 3, one removed and one SBNO, thanks for correcting me :) I wouldn't have known any different otherwise.
I still love the experience of slammer. I find it incredibly fun.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 pm

tomglazed wrote:
The tight shoulder restraints appear to be a big contributor to those that say the ride is painful. It might be in Thorpe's best interests to put something in the queue line announcement or loading announcement about pulling the shoulder bar down so it rests lightly on your shoulders and pull the lap bar down snugly across your hips; almost in the same vein as an airline safety video but if that is what it takes then so be it.

There is. The announcement tells you - and failing that, the operator TELLS you to put it down lightly resting.

Unfortunately everyone feels like they're gonna fall out and die if they dont force it fully down, and therefore have an uncomfortable ride experience. No matter how much emphasis you put on the fact the shoulder harness is for COMFORT ONLY, people will still pull down.

Poison Tom 96

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Slammer is the best flat at TP and it needs to stay

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 am

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Slammer even though it is unusual and does offer an interesting ride experience.

However, I wouldn't be sad if it left eventually as it's not overly reliable and it'd be nice if Thorpe could replace it with something better :)

Alex-TT

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:25 am

Whilst it scares the hell out of me it would be sad to see it leave, such a visual ride

IMO I dont think the park will remove it yet...

AJLlama
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:24 pm

I love Slammer, it's unusual, scary and visually impresive. I think if it had had a more impressive launch when it first opened, it would have been more popular, but they never advertise it and it hardly appears on any pamphlets or other media.
You do need to get the restraints right, otherwise you can suffer from slammer scoleosis, but this is usually easy to do. (i put my hand on my shoulder or inch up a bit when they check them)
I'd be sad to see this go, when they have other flats that could go (Zodiac and Vortez are particulaly dull) I agree its the best flat there after Rush too.

tomglazed
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:24 pm

thefatone wrote:
tomglazed wrote:

There is. The announcement tells you - and failing that, the operator TELLS you to put it down lightly resting.

Maybe having signs then around the operator's cabin or at the boarding areas which elaborate, something along the lines of:

"The shoulder restraints are for your comfort; we strongly recommend that you do not apply excessive force when lowering them as doing so may cause discomfort and delay the ride."

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Its a fantastic ride, and in my opinion far better than Samurai!
However the throughput is so bad, however its not popular, so it usually never had a queue either way!

Dean

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:21 am

THORPE PARK wrote:
SLAMMER will be unavailable until further notice...apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It's not looking good for Slammer... :(

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 pm

BigAl wrote:
I'd like to go on it at least once before it leaves. It looks fantastic when it's operating and I'd like to think that Thorpe Park will bear with it due to it being one of only two that were ever built. For that reason, even if Thorpe does want to get rid of it, I'd prefer it if they sold it to another park rather than as scrap.

I think they'll TRY to keep it so it's the last but so will six flags .

LJ

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:01 pm

I really hope it doesn't leave. Although I haven't ridden it before, it would have been one of the rides that helped Thorpe Park become the nations thrill capital. And as well, I don't want to travel halfway across the world to ride the same type of ride in somewhere like six flags. I just ant to ride it before it does go because it sounds awesome!

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Slammer should stay. It's a unique ride and one that is very intimidating.

tomglazed
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Maybe if it is going to be down longer than they expected, they can work on more long term fixes for the thing as opposed to short term patch jobs. Maybe even get the guys at S&S to have a crack at their own jigsaw puzzle of a ride system.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Slammer

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:06 pm

So as we all know Slammer is closed more time than it is open and has had whole seasons off for maintenance. Now we know the product is discontinued and therefore harder to repair however I'm starting to think this is the end. Thorpe nerd has reported that on fright nights day 1 that Slammer was being dismantled and is has been removed from the fright nights map. I suppose we shall see when the normal map is updated but do believe this is the end for slammer…
What do you guys think? Discuss below!

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Is this the end of Slammer?

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:13 pm

danny.g97 wrote:
So as we all know Slammer is closed more time than it is open and has had whole seasons off for maintenance. Now we know the product is discontinued and therefore harder to repair however I'm starting to think this is the end. Thorpe nerd has reported that on fright nights day 1 that Slammer was being dismantled and is has been removed from the fright nights map. I suppose we shall see when the normal map is updated but do believe this is the end for slammer…
What do you guys think? Discuss below!

NOOOOOOO, I don't want it to go, never got to ride it :cry: