UK theme parks from another point of view!

fredward

Re: Thorpe Park 2012: The Swarm

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 am

thats a good idea.

I would love it to have a bit of a fallout tinge, so mutated enimies would be a cool idea, sort of like the super mutants in fallout 3 in the ruins of washington DC.

Blaze

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:06 pm

"Dormiens-Dave""][quote=""Blaze" wrote:
The theme is a bit of a cop-out, in the same way that Raptor is, especially having the train as the alien. Why the hell would I willingly go ride an alien and why the hell is it on a track? It's so stupid?

I never really understand the idea that rollercoaster theme's have to make sense, nemesis is an Alien and its one of the best executed themed rides in the country.

You could be the alien, you may be being carried by it, who knows, anyway although a ride should have a great backstory it doesn't have to practically fit 100% with the ride experience. It really just needs to set a mis en scen. I quite like suspending my imagination.

As for the name, i think its disappointing but could be a lot worse. And the theme of the ride if it is pulled off well by Merlin will be amazing, just think Merlin need to get the old southern comfort out when making up these names again.

My only gripe and its the same one i have had since the plans where released is the ride is too short, yes its tall but going by No-Limits simulations its not a long ride, i really would kill for a merlin park to have a Mid-Course-Break, with Thorpes opportunity for Height there is no reason not to :P[/quote]
It's simply, "Why am I riding this ride?" On Nemesis, it's because the alien was tied down and they put seats on it. On this, it's early days, so we can't say for sure how it's going to work, but if it's simply "Ride the alien as it goes about smashing stuff up", well that asks too many questions. Why is everything already smashed up? Why am I willingly allowing an alien to pick me up? Why is the alien running along a track? And that's just three questions, of several more that could be asked of it.

Obviously, that isn't as important as how well the theme is created and the quality of the themeing itself, but the most effective themes are ones that work with the ride, like Nemesis. Even LWV got it right with Raptor Attack because it's sold as an adventure into a mine with dinosaurs living in it, not a casual ride around a mine that gets interupted or a search and rescue mission or anything like that.

I won't complain if the plans we saw are passed and everything makes it to the final product and everything works, but if it suffers from Thirteen syndrome and has huge gaps in it, then the actual reason for that theme and the ride will have to be answered. The success of Thirteen revolves around the meaning of the drop. If it's meant to be an honest part of the ride, then it works. If it's supposed to be a surprise and an accident that it drops, then it fails because the ride continues on a track and drops hundreds of times a day.

The same applies with this ride. If they think of a great reason to explain all the questions the story raises, then it will be a great theme pulled off really well. If it doesn't come up with a good explanation, it will be a bad theme that is pulled off really well.

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
It's simply, "Why am I riding this ride?" On Nemesis, it's because the alien was tied down and they put seats on it. On this, it's early days, so we can't say for sure how it's going to work, but if it's simply "Ride the alien as it goes about smashing stuff up"...

How about "Ride the Vampire as it just goes about the trees doing what a vampire apparently does"

I don't think anyone really understands what the vampire is meant to be doing, after all it's a ride at the end of the day, I speak for pretty much the entirity of the forum when I saw we will ride it no-matter what the story line is, whether it makes sense or not.

AdrenalineAlex

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't know if it's already been said, but those referring to the GEAR OF WAR theme, if you look at the background of the website.

You see the black thing which is 'swarming' around? If you've played the game, you'll know that when it's dark you get these weird bat things that come and attack you and kill you. I think they are called Kryll, think they might be based loosely on that? Especially with the font and the theming etc.

How about you compare the two...

It suits the train as well.

Last edited by AdrenalineAlex on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonny.F
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Hmmm, interesting find but I really doubt now that this will have any tie-in with GOW. If it was then I'm pretty much certain that it would have been said yesterday if there was any involvement between the two, so I think we can safely rule out the possibility.

:)

AdrenalineAlex

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:31 pm

"Jonny.F" wrote:
Hmmm, interesting find but I really doubt now that this will have any tie-in with GOW. If it was then I'm pretty much certain that it would have been said yesterday if there was any involvement between the two, so I think we can safely rule out the possibility.

I'm not saying it's actually going to be a GEARS OF WAR ride, it just seems like it has been heavily influenced by it. Gears of War has an apocalyptic theme where everywhere is a mess, and they're a fighting a continuous war (humans vs these alien things). The logo which integrates a similar font and the red circle. And in my opinion it doesn't look like the swarm of black things in the background is coincidental when it ties in with everything else. I just think it's been influenced by the game.

Jonny.F
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:33 pm

"AdrenalineAlex""][quote=""Jonny.F" wrote:

I'm not saying it's actually going to be a GEARS OF WAR ride, it just seems like it has been heavily influenced by it. Gears of War has an apocalyptic theme where everywhere is a mess, and they're a fighting a continuous war (humans vs these alien things). The logo which integrates a similar font and the red circle. And in my opinion it doesn't look like the swarm of black things in the background is coincidental when it ties in with everything else. I just think it's been influenced by the game.[/quote]
Ah ok, now I see what you mean. Yeah I must agree that the influences are common throughout from what I've seen on this thread (never played it though).

AdrenalineAlex

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Ah ok, now I see what you mean. Yeah I must agree that the influences are common throughout from what I've seen on this thread (never played it though).

I would of rather it was some nuclear destruction theme but if it was going to be sci-fi based this is what I would of hoped for. I'm not keen on Sci-fi themed rides, but seeing as I enjoyed GoW hopefully this does well. I'm just hoping they keep the budget for the scenery as because I think that is when is going to make the ride fantastic, because as thrilling as the ride layout looks, it seems to be rather short.

monsterdan5

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 am

I doubt the tie in, so many things look like that. They personally remind me of the day the earth stood still ;)

daveslodge
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:29 am

Good to see the good old Back Story debate being brought back to life by LC12!

My personal opinion is that the story is pretty much irrelevant. As Mr Wardley eluded to in an interview I listened to a few months back (sorry there's no reference), the back story is only intended for use by the creative team to create an 'atmosphere'.

All this nonsense about riding aliens or riding the steel used to pin down a monster is completely uneccesary! We are all sensible/rational human beings (well most of us are!) and we enjoy riding rides. I doubt many, if any, of us are actually imagining we are sat upon some mythological beast as we traverse the track.

This 'Back Story' of an Apocalyptic Swarm sets a great atmosphere/mood/environment that breeds a certain feeling/emotion in us...and it does it very well in my opinion!

Look at Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Thirteen, Saw, Colossus...none of these rides need back stories to be good rides but they all create a certain atmosphere or environment that adds to the ride experience.

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm

"daveslodge" wrote:
My personal opinion is that the story is pretty much irrelevant. As Mr Wardley eluded to in an interview I listened to a few months back (sorry there's no reference), the back story is only intended for use by the creative team to create an 'atmosphere'.

All this nonsense about riding aliens or riding the steel used to pin down a monster is completely uneccesary! We are all sensible/rational human beings (well most of us are!) and we enjoy riding rides. I doubt many, if any, of us are actually imagining we are sat upon some mythological beast as we traverse the track.

This 'Back Story' of an Apocalyptic Swarm sets a great atmosphere/mood/environment that breeds a certain feeling/emotion in us...and it does it very well in my opinion!

Look at Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Thirteen, Saw, Colossus...none of these rides need back stories to be good rides but they all create a certain atmosphere or environment that adds to the ride experience.

Some might :P

While I get what you're saying, to me, whether it has a back story or not is a good indication of the attention to detail that's been put in. It's sort of the cherry on top. If they have a back story, then chances are they've done everything else to theme it too.

Blaze

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:38 pm

"SheikhSam""][quote=""Blaze" wrote:
It's simply, "Why am I riding this ride?" On Nemesis, it's because the alien was tied down and they put seats on it. On this, it's early days, so we can't say for sure how it's going to work, but if it's simply "Ride the alien as it goes about smashing stuff up"...

How about "Ride the Vampire as it just goes about the trees doing what a vampire apparently does"

I don't think anyone really understands what the vampire is meant to be doing, after all it's a ride at the end of the day, I speak for pretty much the entirity of the forum when I saw we will ride it no-matter what the story line is, whether it makes sense or not.[/quote]
Well obviously no one is oging to not ride it because the back story is illogical and nonsensical. What I'm saying is that if it makes sense it will improve the ride.

Big Dave

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Has it been confirmed this is a alien? If not, I think having this has a man made beast might work. An high powered experiment using radioactive materials on tiny micro organisms goes epically wrong and creates massive uncontrollable beasts. The huge explosion causes mass destruction to the area as the beats break free and roam freely around the park. (Kinda a bit like Half Life)

I think that has more of an new feel and not just going down this alien route again. It kinda also fits a bit better with everything we have heard about this coaster so far.
Last edited by Big Dave on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gazag

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:27 pm

machines taking over FTW

Big Dave

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Obviously just my opinion of what it should look like

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 pm

:shock: Dave how'd you get a picture of my room? :lol:

I'm going Thorpe in a couple of days, so I'll snap some photos and report back about any new in-park marketing. Give us a bell if there's anything particular you want to see. :)

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Well, marketing seems to be kicking into full swing, and guess what? There are definite shades of 'Oblivion' in it's style :D

(pics from UKPN)

The sunken garden's been fenced off (hmph. Unsurprising, I know, but hmph), fake CCTV/barbed wire/fuzz lights have been added, and we have actors patrolling as policemen

Les Coogan (if that's really his name) has also made a return, and UKPN report him as saying things like “A swarm of Mosquito-like beings are coming. There will be a war; between Civilians and Aliens; We MUST stand against them”, thus confirming the alien slant (shame in a way, as I quite liked Big Dave's idea).

There is also a sound loop, containing general war-like sounds and an air-raid siren. You can hear it in this Youtube video, which also shows the actors and a tiny bit of interaction with the cameraman (who is clearly intimidated enough to cut the filming :P).

All in all, WOW! :joy: This is looking epic!

(just hope that, having built things this high, they can actually deliver...)

John
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Hang on, there's no access to the new coaster from the sunken gardens is there?

Thorpe have closed off one of their only peaceful 'escape' areas for no reason :(

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Don't think there is access, but there are plenty of fantastic viewing points of the construction site, affording guests great opportunities to snap up-close and detailed progress of building works. Something that I was rather looking forward to, and something they clearly want to avoid.

...but yeah. I did like to spend time now and then in the sunken gardens :|

Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 am

For photos just go in the depth charge queue or look by what will be the new crossing to the island behind the flying fish.

But it's a shame we can't access the sunken gardens now as it was the only peaceful place at Thorpe.

Also is that fence not the fence from the scare zone at FN last year? Just painted and had new coaster written on it.