UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park 2012: The Swarm

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Another update taken from the Developer's Diary:

:)

Blaze

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Is it just me or would it be better if the zero-g went the other way?

Other than that, woah!

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:30 pm

It says they are putting up 3-4 sections of track a day now, which sounds achievable.

This might be slightly off topic (and is not aiming to draw it off topic), but I would love to see Merlin do a sort of light hearted development blog as Dollywood are doing for Wild Eagle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyHleyPi ... ideo_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0LMUECO ... ideo_title
http://www.youtube.com/user/DollywoodTN ... N00wlh6gqk

I found the last video the most interesting, pause on 16 seconds.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:17 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
Is it just me or would it be better if the zero-g went the other way?

Other than that, woah!
Nope, that's the right way. It follows a natural progression so that the dive loop, zero-g-roll and banked turn flow into each other. If it twisted the other way the manoeuvre would feel disjointed. It works on some rides but as a Wingrider they’re probably after something more graceful (not that it can’t also be forcefull).

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Why is it that all the other pictures have made me think...WOW! Yet this just makes me think....Meh...

It just looks, well, small and pathetic!

Must just be the angle the picture is taken at

gazag

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:53 pm

the photo isnt a great prespective but i must say its looking impresive. seeing it in the flesh a few weeks ago it looked very tall. this is intresting and that zero-g looks so fluent and forcless its spectacular

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:05 pm

It does look huge from the m25 i have to say

FallenAngel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Just a quick thing I noticed, don't know if this has been mentioned, but X-Flight seems to be a similar height, and about 15-20% longer in term sof track length. But the budget for it is estimated between $12m-$15m. In the US costs for building coasters are probably cheaper compared to here but, I not to such a drastic effect to bre nearly 50% cheaper to build extremely similar coasters.

This shows that Thorpe really want this ride themed well. As I said before the wing itself is going to be a show stealer, the dimensions of the wing are identical to that of a 767, which is a huge plane. Second only to the 747s and a380s of the world. So a large portion of the budget (maybe up to £1m if they get one specially made) could be going on just the wing itself. I cannot wait to see this in action.

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:44 pm

I was thinking about the wing, would it not just be cheaper to get one from a decomissioned plane rather than build a fake one from sratch?

FallenAngel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:59 pm

"JB1985" wrote:
I was thinking about the wing, would it not just be cheaper to get one from a decomissioned plane rather than build a fake one from sratch?

I was thinking this as well, because when the plans were submitted the obviously had to have dimensions etc, and the only existing plane with these exact dimensions would be a 767, so they must have already picked up the wing.

The only other alternative would be they got a wing custom built, without the working mechanics, effectively a shell... A wing from an existing aircraft would be extremely heavy with all the mechanisms inside, and probably unable to hold its own weight too well, as featured in the plans (nothing is holding it up, it seems to be fixed at the base). So getting a custom wing built would weigh much less.

A new wing is about £4m - £5m brand new. And a wing off a decomissioned plane would still set them back probably up to half mill. (I study flight tech at uni, which is why I know this boring stuff) So I wouldnt be surprised if it was entirely custom built for them. and efeinitely will be a large part of the budget.

Blaze

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 pm

"FallenAngel" wrote:
Just a quick thing I noticed, don't know if this has been mentioned, but X-Flight seems to be a similar height, and about 15-20% longer in term sof track length. But the budget for it is estimated between $12m-$15m. In the US costs for building coasters are probably cheaper compared to here but, I not to such a drastic effect to bre nearly 50% cheaper to build extremely similar coasters.

This shows that Thorpe really want this ride themed well. As I said before the wing itself is going to be a show stealer, the dimensions of the wing are identical to that of a 767, which is a huge plane. Second only to the 747s and a380s of the world. So a large portion of the budget (maybe up to £1m if they get one specially made) could be going on just the wing itself. I cannot wait to see this in action.

Also, B&M have a plant in America, so it's much cheeper for US parks, whereas we have to have our track flown in from Switzerland.

FallenAngel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:19 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
Also, B&M have a plant in America, so it's much cheeper for US parks, whereas we have to have our track flown in from Switzerland.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this, but surely this can't account for 50% less costs. Plus transporting from Switzerland to the UK isnt much different from transporting from coast to coast in the US. Just think a large chunk of this must be going on theming.

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:59 am

It's also quite interesting how the track is complete at the Dollywood one... that happened fast. UK work mentality VS US, I guess.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Dar

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 am

Or US "me first" mentality?

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:45 am

haha - well, they still open at the same time.

Plus - what's a more exciting theme? End-of-the-world war, or... an eagle?
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Dar

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Exactly! I think Thorpe are kinda dragging their heels on purpose a little to milk the updates for as long as possible during close season.

Either that or they want track construction to be happening while the park is open, so they can do the theming under cover of close season secrecy when no pesky enthusiasts can get pictures of all the missing scenery! :wink:

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Or Wild Eagle started construction first.

By about 2 weeks in fact. Dollywood started positioning the track mid September. Thorpe Park didn't start until October. It just happens that as we follow Thorpe Park more than Dollywood we missed the start of construction.

pluk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:15 pm

"Blaze" wrote:

As far as I'm aware it's even more complicated than that. The rails of the track are made and shaped in Switzerland, then shipped over to America where they are attached to their box sections. The boxes and supports are made in USA. All B+Ms are done this way regardless of destination. If it is for us the assembled track sections, along with the supports, are then all shipped back over to Europe and the UK (typically 3 track sections per container = a lot of containers). This must all cost a fortune and seems over complex to me, but it seems to work for B+M.

It's some well travelled (and expensive) track by the time we get it!
Total Unique Ridecount

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:02 am

I've decided that once this beast is "topped off" as such, I'm going to stop following this thread (and the other two I'm currently part of!) just so I can't be amazed by the amount of scenery and the transformation. As I seriously think this wil be the uks best ride by far. I completely ruined 13 for myself by watching the construction thus knowing the surprise element. Well not this time. :P
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Is anyone still reading LC12.co.uk? I didn't realise there was going to be a build blog there, I thought it was just a place holder before the official site was launched.

Most interestingly from it.....

Theming work is also due to soon start, with theming due to start being delivered at the end of November.

Next week, a team of Water Effects engineers will be on-site to begin the installation of the water effects the ride will feature.

As for why the piece of track turned up into the water, we will keep you guessing for now!

^^^^^^ I still don't think you can accidentally place a piece of track for no reason, as silly as it looks.