UK theme parks from another point of view!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: General Thorpe Park Discussion

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 am

It is quite clear that they are attempting this ...

The same year as CBeebies land, and a chessington runaway train re-theme, Merlin are attempting this. Whether it will work at Thorpe is something to be judged at a later date
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:26 pm

Having been going every year since 2009, I found last year (regardless of how I visited the most times I've ever done that year) to be the best year to be perfectly honest. The operations of the park and the variety of events they offered was the best they've been in my opinion - I look forward to 2014 with hopefully the return of Slammer and a reliable Samurai, as well as 2 new attractions which helps disperse the queues. So can't complain, just would be nice to see more for thrill seekers as well :)
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

thorpe fan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm

The fact that they are placing the Angry Birds land into the park where Calypso Quay is/was, means I hope Thorpe park will refurbish theRrumba Rapids to fit in with the Angry Birds theme, making it much more enjoyable to ride and hopefully get even more wet. :D
Last edited by thorpe fan on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 pm

thorpe fan wrote:
The fact that they are placing the Angry Birds land into the park where Calypso Quay is/was, means I hope Thorpe park will refurbish theRrumba Rapids to fit in with the Angry Birds theme, making it much more enjoyable to ride and hopefully get even more wet. :D

I don't know for definite but from what thorpe park have said, rumba rapids is not going to be themed as angry birds.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Calypso Quay consists of Nemesis Inferno, Rumba Rapids & Detonator - correct me if I'm wrong. So the Angry Birds land will be the area where the 4d cinema is, Detonator, and cut into Amity Cove if the dodgems are going next to Tidal Wave. So Rumba Rapids should have nothing to do with it, neither has Thorpe said anything.
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:37 am

The minisite only states detonator, dodgems and 4D cinema

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:56 am

Stealth actually seems to have broken up the areas more, as back when they were still showing the areas on the park map Calypso Quay covered everything from Detonator, Nemesis Inferno, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Pirates 4D, Xtreme games and model world and the sunken garden. By adding Stealth into Amity Cove you then have to pass through Calypso Quay to go to the Stealth bit of Amity Cove.

Angry Birds will leave Nemesis, Storm in a Teacup and Rumba rapids in Calypso Quay. Stealth actually seems to be the ride stretching the Amity theme which previously only had Tidal Wave, KFC and the arcade.

Theme UK have a park map from 2004 which still shows the areas http://themeuk.net/Thorpe_Park_Site/?page_id=687
Last edited by jon18uk on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

rebecca.wingate.79
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:45 pm

I have not been disappointed by Thorpe park these past few years but angry birds ? REALLY?!! :no: the only difference I think they will do to detonator is add a bird to the top of it that or only change the name and repaint it  :blah:. and there was a reason they stopped the 4D attraction .... because it wasn't popular! :box: I thought personally they were going to put vengeance from the old London Dungeons into that area considering they have placed the attraction stuff in the park. ](*,) yes the attraction is popular but I would predict after a few months things will go back to the way they were nothing will change.  :bored:

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Has anyone noticed that on Thorpe's website they are no longer calling the shipping container the waterfront hotel, instead just on-site hotel?
Last edited by BenBowser on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThrillSeeker5000
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 pm

I love Thorpe park and everything, but like Alton Towers they are focusing on 'Family Thrill'. What about us? New rollercoaster please! 

rebecca.wingate.79 wrote:
I have not been disappointed by Thorpe park these past few years but angry birds ? REALLY?!! :no: the only difference I think they will do to detonator is add a bird to the top of it that or only change the name and repaint it  :blah:.
This made me laugh so much :'D so true!
Last edited by ThrillSeeker5000 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:51 am

IMO I think thorpe have created themselves a hole that they cannot escape. They are too far into the "Thrill Seekers Only" policy that they can't turn back and start attracting families. All that will happen is teenagers wont come as they will think it is now for kids with angry birds, and families won't come because they have been put off by other adverts (SAW) and maybe even on past experiences.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:49 am

nemesisben110 wrote:
All that will happen is teenagers wont come as they will think it is now for kids with angry birds,

Angry Birds is not a kids game though! The iPhone game is played by everyone, that is why it was one of the biggest selling apps ever. I don't think anyone will be put off thinking it is a "kiddy" area, as it has an extreme ride (Detonator), a family ride that everyone loves (Dodgems) and a 4D show.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Angry Birds land will be different, but in a good way. It will make teenagers and adults embrace there inner child and i think it will just add an area that will make people smile or even laugh. I mean, who goes on a Dodgems and not smile

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Pizzazz wrote:
Angry Birds land will be different, but in a good way. It will make teenagers and adults embrace there inner child and i think it will just add an area that will make people smile or even laugh. I mean, who goes on a Dodgems and not smile

Me; I broke my arm on one ;)
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm

When did Thorpe Park change their name to Thorpe Park Resort???

Thanks NickiFan

obliviongirl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm

I think this can only have been within the last few hours, as I was on the website earlier today (about half past one), and I would have noticed if the name had changed while I was on there, unless I'm just very unobservant, of course.  :lol: It certainly has to do with the new on-site hotel launching in April, but still, after all these years of just being 'Thorpe Park', it sounds strange to now add the 'resort' part onto the end!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 pm

obliviongirl wrote:
I think this can only have been within the last few hours, as I was on the website earlier today (about half past one), and I would have noticed if the name had changed while I was on there, unless I'm just very unobservant, of course.  :lol: It certainly has to do with the new on-site hotel launching in April, but still, after all these years of just being 'Thorpe Park', it sounds strange to now add the 'resort' part onto the end!

I checked it over the weekend and it said "Thorpe park resort"

obliviongirl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
obliviongirl wrote:

I checked it over the weekend and it said "Thorpe park resort"

Oh, ok then. I must be just as unobservant as I thought, aha.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:35 pm

About two weeks ago the changed their twitter name

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Surely it's either a park or a resort? "Thorpe Park Resort" just sounds weird