UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Re: General Thorpe Park Discussion

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:23 pm

What I'm confused about is that they are stating it as a worlds first 4D attraction. Can anyone explain if I've missed something or is this a mystery?

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 pm

DannyG wrote:
What I'm confused about is that they are stating it as a worlds first 4D attraction. Can anyone explain if I've missed something or is this a mystery?

I believe they are simply saying it is the only Angry Birds themed 4D cinema  :)

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Adz wrote:
Nemesis Inferno is going to be completely unaffected by Angry Birds. It's far enough away and its theme makes sense in what is left of Calypso Quay. If anything it makes the area stronger without a random pirates themed annex (Detonator, Pirates 4D remains).

Angry Birds is most welcome to me because were not losing anything for it. We gain a fully refurbished (inside and out) modern 4D Cinema and we lose a HB Leisure Games unit in favour of a colourful and family friendly Dodgems attraction. In addition the area has been repainted and refurbished with bright colours and new features - something most needed in a park which recently has been a little bit drab in the way of appearance.

Certain aspects of the park this year are undergoing extensive refurbishments and improvements - look out for an overhauled and highly themed Nemesis Inferno shop as one of them. This is part of a far reaching plan to subtly rebrand and overhaul the park over the next few years.

Yes! Angry Birds insn't splitting or ruining areas, it will be a nice addition to bring new life into a defunct pirate themed area that got rid of the pirates years ago.

And Angry Birds won't suddenly turn it into a more family centred park, but it is a first step. I think 2014 will see lots of small changes at all the parks

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 pm

SwEDEN wrote:
Kimberley wrote:
Changing the topic slightly, not big news as such, but planning has been submitted to build a small Stealth shop next to the current photo kiosk:

http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/Northg ... I=PLANNING

Another shipping container maybe?

The park have better had had a good refurb session this off season... Otherwise building this is generally not logical, not when we've got a 10 inversion coaster on the other side of the park that needs desperate attention along with A LARGE PORTION OF THE PARK!!!! -_- 

The building (or not building) of a shop would have absolutely no impact on any refurbishments elsewhere in the park. The budget for it would be entirely separate.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
SuperWill wrote:
I want Colossy to stay but yes it's getting old (12 years old now!) So that will go in like 4/3 years time. :(

Thorpe have 2 (?) islands after 2015 (dunno, might be one). Following their coaster every 3 years, we're looking at a 2022/2023 demolishing (to make way for 2024 coaster) of Inferno and perhaps 2025/26 for colossus (which still makes it over 20 years old!)

Everyone, expect Nemesis and Colossus to be there in another 20 years time. The flying fish is 30 years old and still going strong, Nemesis at Alton is 20 years old and still has plenty of life left in it. Unless either of those rides suffers from bad subsidence or structural failure which can not economically be repaired, those attractions will stay for a hell of a long time.

Look at the business decision making process:

You have a big coaster which is popular and cost you millions to install in the first place. This is one of your signature rides. Do you:

A) Spend millions ripping it out and millions replacing it with another coaster?
B) Keep it running and install a coaster elsewhere (One of your empty islands for example), make the park bigger, have a larger offering for your guests (2 coasters) for half the price?

I know which choice I will go with!
If you go down to the woods today

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:48 am

bensaund wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
SuperWill wrote:
I want Colossy to stay but yes it's getting old (12 years old now!) So that will go in like 4/3 years time. :(

Thorpe have 2 (?) islands after 2015 (dunno, might be one). Following their coaster every 3 years, we're looking at a 2022/2023 demolishing (to make way for 2024 coaster) of Inferno and perhaps 2025/26 for colossus (which still makes it over 20 years old!)

Everyone, expect Nemesis and Colossus to be there in another 20 years time. The flying fish is 30 years old and still going strong, Nemesis at Alton is 20 years old and still has plenty of life left in it. Unless either of those rides suffers from bad subsidence or structural failure which can not economically be repaired, those attractions will stay for a hell of a long time.

Look at the business decision making process:

You have a big coaster which is popular and cost you millions to install in the first place. This is one of your signature rides. Do you:

A) Spend millions ripping it out and millions replacing it with another coaster?
B) Keep it running and install a coaster elsewhere (One of your empty islands for example), make the park bigger, have a larger offering for your guests (2 coasters) for half the price?

I know which choice I will go with!

You have misunderstood me.

In 2015, we will most likely see a new coaster. Following their general coaster every 3 years (2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015), then we should expect one of the remaining islands filled in 2018, and the other in 2021. That means that in order to build a coaster in 2024, something will have to go.

We're looking 10-15 years.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:02 am

Can I just say people assume Nemesis Inferno will go in 2024 because people don't like it, well if Nemesis has lasted 20 years so far, why cant Inferno... I mean it is still a very popular ride tbh.

Credit to NemesisRider

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 am

My prediction for inferno is 2023 to be demolished for 2024/25 coaster

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 am

Thorpe doesn't need to orientate itself towards the family market in the slightest. With Chessington being so close, it seems a bit redundant.

Thorpe Park has always been the Six Flags of the UK; build 'em high and build 'em fast type of philosophy, and it really works. Its tag line 'Thrill capital of the UK' merged with the Ministry Of Sound nights give a real indication of the continued direction Merlin want to take this part of its attraction empire; fast, tall, thrilling and targeted primarily towards young adults onwards. With Paramount opening up on its doorstep, Thorpe won't be able to compete in terms of family orientation with them, so it may as well keep it to something that works well; thrills.

I do agree both Chessington and Thorpe Park will have to uip their game, and soon, if they want to compete in the next decade.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 am

Has Paramount Park gone under construction then?

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:06 am

We will then see something like a coaster on the lake or some flats or retheme.  I seriously dont see any of the major coasters going.  First to go will have to be X IMO

Or they dont build one for a few years as they have 8.
If you go down to the woods today

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:02 pm

There is no way X will go anytime soon. They've only just re done it. New trains, indoor theming and some of the queue line. I think we will see Rumba Rapids go first. It takes quite a bit of space and could be a nice wooden coaster or a coaster that winds through the trees.
Last edited by Danny on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Lee wrote:
Thorpe doesn't need to orientate itself towards the family market in the slightest. With Chessington being so close, it seems a bit redundant.

Thorpe Park has always been the Six Flags of the UK; build 'em high and build 'em fast type of philosophy, and it really works. Its tag line 'Thrill capital of the UK' merged with the Ministry Of Sound nights give a real indication of the continued direction Merlin want to take this part of its attraction empire; fast, tall, thrilling and targeted primarily towards young adults onwards. With Paramount opening up on its doorstep, Thorpe won't be able to compete in terms of family orientation with them, so it may as well keep it to something that works well; thrills.

I do agree both Chessington and Thorpe Park will have to uip their game, and soon, if they want to compete in the next decade.

If the Paramount Park is a good as some of the concept art then it is aiming to compete with Disneyland Paris, the Merlin parks won't be anywhere near the level of detail (except maybe Legoland).

The thing with Thorpe trying to become more well rounded (not completely family but a better assortment) is that  a family with children all over 10 probably aren't interested in going to Chessington as the older teenagers will want the thrill rides. But Mum may not want to ride all the bigger coasters, by having at least some attractions suitible for everyone (such as a 4D show) Mum doesn't feel like she spent £24+ just to hold bags all day. It's the same reason that Chessington have kept Rattlesnake & Rameses Revenge, you need to appeal to everyone to some extent.

Six Flags, although they have lots of big thrill also have some family and a lot of kids rides (mainly around Looney Toons).

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:54 pm

I just hope Thorpe don't go too far the other way though and completely ditch their 'Thrill Capital' tag and not see anything thrilling in the next few years besides the next big coaster which we're not even sure when that's coming!
Image 2014

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 pm

I don't want Thorpe Park overrun with kids rides, just perhaps a coaster like Dragon's Fury. I think there is definitely a place for one (not necessarily a spinner as said Chessington is close, but a good family ride that thrillseekers can also enjoy).
Last edited by Burniel on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

General Thorpe Park Discussion

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:51 pm

I don't think a spinner should be added either. But a family coaster on the same level as Flying Fish on it's current site wouldn't go a miss.

I think they need to add more basic children's rides i.e. Zamperal mini drop tower and a non ranger related carouse in a re-theme of Ranger County could go well. They also need a major family attraction. Like a dark ride or a spooky walkthrough similar to Hex or Hocus Pocus Hall.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:49 am

I don't think FF needs updating ...

It might not fit the theme very well, but it's actually still in good condition, and is fairly reliable (I was allowed on in the snow!).

Now, a non-inverting woodie for all the family ...

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:35 am

Ilovecoasters wrote:
I don't want Thorpe Park overrun with kids rides, just perhaps a coaster like Dragon's Fury. I think there is definitely a place for one (not necessarily a spinner as said Chessington is close, but a good family ride that thrillseekers can also enjoy).

That's why X has changed to front-facing cars, the height restriction has gone down and it is now a family coaster.
It's non-coaster rides that Thorpe needs, bringing 4D back and a new Dodgems is a good start but they really need a dark ride.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Thorpe Park has a lot more space than people give it credit for. I would not expect to see any of the current lineup of major Rollercoasters leave within the next 20/25 years.

The park is also not going family. At least not in the same way that Chessington has. It'll be a lot more balanced along the lines of Alton Towers rather than a focus on thrill rides or kids rides. You're likely to see this gradually introduced over the next 5 or 6 years along with substantial placemaking and redefining of the parks existing areas.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

General Thorpe Park Discussion

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:07 pm

I doubt the park will go even remotely family, they are just adding more rides/attractions to make the park more pleasant and suitable for non thrill seekers.

Take this as an example: A family with three kids, one fifteen, one thirteen and one nine. The mum likes coasters but the dad doesn't. Now they visit Thorpe for the two older kids and the mum but the other two are very bored. They basically have Quantum, X, Rocky Express and Flying Fish that are not water based. Not counting Banana Boat and The Carousel as they are utter tripe and targeted at two year olds.

Now after an hour at the park, the dad and nine year old and now bored and very wet (providing they have been on the mass of water rides), and I expect this is what Thorpe are tying to resolve, although re-theming Detonator, an 100ft drop tower to Angry Birds will be a complete waste of money! :/

This and reinstating the themed lands are what Thorpe are doing to help keep the rest of the family entertained, there is no way they could become a family theme park, they were way too far into the thrills to turn around by 2006.
Last edited by BenBowser on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.