UK theme parks from another point of view!

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - General Discussion

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Does anyone else feel like they should just chuck some dodgems in to replace Slammer, and re-theme Canada Creek?

No! Canada Creek is the only area of thorpe that I can't find a fault!

The Crab of Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 pm

jon18uk wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:
It will still be a thrill ride as the ride experience wont change, it will just be themed like a ride for children when it wont be a ride for children.

Why do you think that adding some angry bit signage to Dentonator is going to make it a children's ride? It's still a drop tower, just instead of vague pirate stuff and signs saying Detonator there will be bird bomb signs.

Also I am 32 and love the Angry Bird games, they are not something for Chrildren only really.

Did adding Sonic to Spinball at Alton towers make it a children's ride? No it was a spinning coaster and still is, just with a fibreglass Sonic outside!

Agreed, I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about. Detonator will be the same ride (even retaining pretty much the same name), just with an Angry Bird feel, which as you say isn't a franchise aimed directly at children, in fact many older people enjoy it.

What confuses me is the area it will be in. The whole land is being fitted into a really small and quite bizarre area and will split the current amity (as I believe that's meant to stretch from Tidal Wave up to Stealth). I know Thorpe aren't big in theming, but this will seem a little disjointed I think...

However I do welcome the angry birds theme. Alienating families entirely was a terrible idea and it's nice to see Thorpe finally welcome them back (hopefully not too late) despite keeping the core focus of the park on big thrills. This years marketing, I think, looks really good compared to the past few years.
ImageSince 2008

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Sonic is a family coaster, so adding Sonic to the ride, wasn't a big deal. What if Sonic had been added to Oblivion? And yes AB is played by adults but thats where it should end. It isnt exactly an adultish theme for a ride, its a family theme. I think its a good theme but as its a family theme, it should be family rides.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Oblivion and Detonator are very different rides. But yes in the same wat the Fanta sponsorship did, adding Somic would ruin it!
But Detonator is only a 1.3m height restriction so it's still able to be ridden by more of the family than the big coasters.

But still the original Angry Birds games were never designed for Children (in the same way that MarioKart or Super Smash Bros aren't) they just happen to be enjoyed by everyone. Same as a theme park.

And The Crab of Nemesis I agree this years Thorpe marketing is much improved, all are welcome who like thrills.

Starlight expresser
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:11 pm

Is detonator still closed until angry birds opens?

Cheers

Andy

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 am

No open

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 am

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:54 pm

very family orientated! Not much about Angry Birds though :/

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 am

It's just the same advert as Summer 2013, just with slightly altered commentary.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Thorpe Park has announced ‘The Big Easter’ event on their website. The event will include Brainiac Live! - a series of live shows based on the TV series. Plus, they are also offering visitors the chance to win some prizes, including one of 20, 000 chocolate eggs and an annual pass, with an Angry Birds Easter Egg Hunt.

Full details can be found here: https://www.thorpepark.com/bigeaster/

awsomelycoolboy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:45 am

Adz wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
This is true, but it is also worth remembering that Thorpe cannot go much higher than Stealth due to its close proximity to Heathrow Airport.

The ceiling height for the park is roughly in the realm of 500ft. This is not to say they would build that high or even get planning permission to do so, but that is the max they can go.

Then Stealth has become a bit of a let down, as it would have been brill to have it a similar size to Kingda Ka. Or even slightly taller to try and beat worlds tallest. I suppose they could always extend Stealth but thats unlikely.

They could always use the term that alton towers use.
To build higher, we must dig deeper (it's the quote they used on blue peter when they feature the smiler on blue peter I do beleive)
basicaly meaning if the dig a huge hole in the ground they can build higher (up to 500ft) and this ride will be higher.. If you get what I mean

KoasterKraver
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Can you still ride The Swarm Backwards?

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 pm

KoasterKraver wrote:
Can you still ride The Swarm Backwards?

Yes. You can still ride it backwards

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thrill-A-Whale Removed

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:20 pm

When walking around the park, I regret to say I noticed that the Thrill-A-Whale located near Storm Surge has been removed.

I never did have a go on it, it pleased me to see many people making fools of themselves on it. Rest in peace, Thrill-A-Whale.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

KoasterKraver
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:42 am

Is detonator still open or is it getting refurbished? Can somebody answer please :lol

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 am

KoasterKraver wrote:
Is detonator still open or is it getting refurbished? Can somebody answer please :lol

Detonator is open as usual until around a week before Angry Birds Land opens. It will be closed for the week, before opening in Angry Birds land in May. :)

awsomelycoolboy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 am

So what's the area like where angry birds land is. Is it all shut off?

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 am

The sites of the dodgems and 4d cinema bit are hidden by temporary walls with Angry Birds posters on, but you can currently walk through what will be Angry Birds land to get to Stealth :)

Source: Visit on 5th April

KoasterKraver
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:34 am

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Photo's uploaded on TPM of AB progression, shark hotel construction, Slammer testing...
http://thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/14-04 ... e-and-More