UK theme parks from another point of view!

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - General Discussion

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Yeah, Colosuss was project Odyssey. Thanks a lot!
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Altonboy001
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
Unfortunately during this period of the year queue times fluctuate and are unpredictable. I visited Thorpe Park two weeks ago and the largest queue time was for The Swarm which peaked at approximately 50 minutes. Despite this I was talking to a staff member who told me that the previous day had been extremely busy to the point in which ride entrances were closed to avoid overcrowding and the park reached its full capacity fairly early in the day. Due to this unpredictability, I can not give you exact queue times however I can give you the times I waited for rides on my visit.

Stealth-30 minutes
Saw- 30 minutes(Maximum Queue time during the day 90 minutes)
Nemesis Inferno- 45 minutes
Detonator- N/A
X-15 minutes
Colossus- 20 minutes ( Maximum queue time during the day 90 minutes)
Tidal Wave- 120 minutes( Biggest queue on park)
Storm Surge- 100 minutes
Loggers Leap- 40 minutes
Rush- 10 minutes( The queue time board stated 30 minutes but this was not accurate)
The Swarm-50 minutes( I also waited for 5 minutes at the end of the day and 30 minutes queuing for Brave It Backwards)

I hope you enjoy your visit and manage to get on all of the rides you wish to :)

thanks so much, il try , did you go on a sunny day!!!!

Starlight expresser
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:54 am

Are fright nights preview nights for pass holders generally busy? It's thurs 9th this year so not sure whether to go Thursday or Friday 10th?

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:27 pm

You will probably be better off with the preview night. Fridays are always busy and the preview night does have a lower limit of people.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:48 pm

The preview night is on Thursday the 9th. It will probably be quieter on the Thursday than on the Friday.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Does anyone know how much thorpe park all day dining is ?

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Its too much. i have no idea, there website is useless.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:50 pm

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Does anyone know how much thorpe park all day dining is ?

Thorpe Park don't do all day dining.I tweeted them and got the following reply:

Hey! No we don't unfortunately. We do offer Family Meal Deal vouchers online though for £20 and standard Meal deal vounchers for £6.

Hope that helps

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:15 pm

So I got my two free Thorpe park tickets come through today for the Monday after FrightNights. Being a Monday my dad can't make that date and I'm at college, what's the chances of phoning them and asking to use it a different day if I act stupid?

I know it's unlikely but worth a try ey :)

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:44 pm

I wish you the best of luck for attempting the impossible. May Thorpe park have mercy on your soul.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Just a quick question. You know the photo thing where you pay so much and get this booklet thing where you get 4 photo's. Can these be used over the year, as i still have three left, from my last visit.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:56 pm

I believe so as I vaguely remember this being mentioned while purchasing the photo pass on my last visit :)

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:59 pm

I would have thought so Dom, last time I went to Towers I used a photopass to get an ORP even though I'd bought it earlier in the season.

definedancing
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Just got back from Thorpe Park, and had a generally enjoyable day despite some ride breakdowns. I really think I'll state the obvious and say that Thorpe have some great rides; love, love, love The Swarm, Stealth is fun, Nemesis Inferno is underrated, Rush is exactly what it says on the tin etc. Although I'm an Alton Towers junkie and looking forward to my 14th visit next week this year, it is nice to go down south. We also fitted in a trip to Chessington as well as the London Dungeons, Sea Life and Madame Tussauds so I feel like we got good use of our annual passes!
I noticed a big issue though that I know a lot of people have already bought up; the fact that they seem to run on half capacity. Okay, Monday isn't busy, but we waited 45 minutes for Colossus because they were running on one train. Same for The Swarm, although they were running two on Stealth and Nemesis Inferno. I know that they sort one train first and then take their time when putting the next train on to make sure its convenient, and that they should never compromise on ride safety, but we asked one of the ride attendants on Colossus if they planned to put another train on and she said that she honestly didn't know. It just felt a shame because at full capacity, Colossus and The Swarm have a projected throughput of 1000 and 1250 riders an hour respectively, easily shifting the queue and allowing people to spend the rest of the day doing other rides and you know, not queuing.
That aside, I enjoyed doing some of the rides I didn't get to do back in April. Angry Birds Land is a bit of a cop-out (come on, its a bit of street with a nice paint job and a retheme of two existing attractions) but the dodgems were a lot of fun, and we got soaked on Loggers Leap and Rumba Rapids. Nice warm weather too. Good times.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi, planning to be on-park tomorrow, anyone any ideas on how busy? I'm expecting fairly quiet, but I know a few schools in the area are off tomorrow (it's grammar school exam day).
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

MerlinFan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Visited Thorpe Park last Friday. I am a teacher who is currently having a bit of a career break and doing supply work (the beauty of which is that I can take time off whenever I like because I'm technically classed as self-employed). As my husband was off work on the same day we thought we'd take our first ever opportunity in about 7 years to go to Thorpe Park on a school day when in theory it would be quieter... just to find it overrun with school kids! The irony was not lost on me. Couldn't believe that 4 weeks into the new term, schools were still running trips to Thorpe Park - a member of staff informed us that there were 1000 school kids in there on trips. That's as well as the huge numbers of parents I saw with school age children - clearly the government's anti-truancy policy is not working lol. The park was not running at full capacity either which meant that the queues for the coasters were huge - usually in excess of an hour (Colossus was 2 hours at one point!).

Still, the flat rides and water rides were pretty quiet so we got to do plenty of rides - funniest bit was getting Rocky Express to ourselves! Shame Saw broke down at the end though as it's my favourite.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Yet again with low capacity, they are almost as bad as oakwood. Absolutely insane to have a 2 hour queue with 1 train. I hope they realise that it puts people off from returning as they assume its always busy so are reluctant to return. To say they do it to save energy is a joke and feels almost like an insult. Happy to take your £40 to get in and then make the queues long so you buy fastrack. Its disgusting operations.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:51 pm

There could be a technical reason as to why they were only running one train. They seem to be doing that a lot this season, so it could be a problem with the second train, as to why it isn't running. Thorpe Park can not control the queue lengths. It is out of their hands. They can not control how many people turn up on any given day. Only silly people actually pay the full gate price. The majority of people don't pay £40 to get in.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:04 pm

The reason they operate one train according to guest services is to save energy. The chances of all 4 coasters have a train out of action is very unlikely and for it to happen every day of the week excluding holidays is almost impossible. It is there operating procedures which mean they run 1 train during the week regardless of queue time. They have a very good idea in how many people are going to turn up so there is no excuse. Even paying £25 to get in and £5 to park and then be expected to pay for fastrack is not acceptable. They are making queues long to maximise profit when really they should be focusing on guest satisfaction so they return more often. I can tell Thorpe exactly why they are having low gate figures, lack of investment and appalling treatment of guests this year.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 pm

You are entitled to your opinion. I just think Thorpe Park are better than what you think. They have there moments, i wont deny that, but overall i would say they are an amazing park, with amazing staff