UK theme parks from another point of view!

Starlight expresser
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park 2013 General Discussion

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am

How busy will summer nights likely to be this Friday?. I'm unsure how many tix they allocate into the park, it did say no que's basically

Andy

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Thorpe park was good today. Everyting on 2 trains. Lightning dealt with well. Only bad things were fastrack upsell signs outside all major coasters and colossus and saw dispatch running slow.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

TheBoyWithOneEye
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 am

Did anyone go to that summer nights thing? Was it worth the money or not? :)

Enk27
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:01 am

Went to it tonight. Despite the rain it was worth the £5 (MAP price).

The q's were v.low, best comparison would be AT ERT from 2012. Rarely had to wait more than one ride to get on anything (and most were walk ons).

Only dampener (other than the weather was) that Saw and Swarm were down for extended periods.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:34 pm

TheBoyWithOneEye wrote:
Did anyone go to that summer nights thing? Was it worth the money or not? :)

For a MAP it was well worth it they must have been a maximum of around 250 people in the park. The weather let it down but stealth you didn't have to get off the train it was just walk straight back on. Mind you stealth was broken a bit with us on it as it had a failed launch (different to a roll back)
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpZ_ZgSPIg Should thorpe have used this as the swarms area theme? I think they should have. It sounds cool.
^Made by Lewis97

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Extended opening hours in August!
Beat the traffic and chill with a drink in the sunshine on the beach, plus enjoy selected rides until 9pm in the UK’s most epic beer garden*.
*excludes Summer Nights on 2nd & 3rd August, and Ministry of Sound club night on 17th August.

taken from the thorpe park website on the opening times section... can only be good to see they are trying to keep guests happy by chilling on a nice evening, presumably with music, and what is possibly only a few rides, but still nice nonetheless; thorpe will then be giving good customer experience (something the towers are failing to do) especially with the roadworks happening around the area at the moment which would cause chaos, thorpe in turn would make money from sales of food and drink - so a win win situation in my opinion :)
Image 2014

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Yes slightly off topic , but I love Alton Towers and think it is great but at the moment they seem to be a bit lacking in making customers feel valued , and Thorpe Park are , I still love Alton Towers. :D

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

again slightly off topic... i've always been to alton towers (most years) since i was old enough to go on the smaller rides so it has a place in my heart, and never went to any of the other merlin parks (til 2009), but i really am starting to prefer thorpe park now, especially as i took advantage of the annual pass offer (what a bargain), and only takes me 2 hours (sometimes less) to drive there, it really is becoming my favourite place, and with the fright nights which is better than scarefest as it is - especially with the new generation of fright nights coming this year, excited! :D
Image 2014

Robbo96/
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Does anyone know how busy it will be over the weekend. Thorpe have been putting on Facebook that it is going to be raining so was wondering if any of the rides close in the rain.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:44 pm

An exciting/interesting FREE fast trackish trial is currently taking place at Thorpe Park. It's called Reserve 'n' Ride. And basically acts as a free virtual queue.

You register using a Smartphone (or at the ride entrance) and once the timer counts down, you can ride.

Check out the details at: http://www.thorpepark.com/prices/reserve-and-ride.aspx

I hope it catches on, and stays FREE!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Adam wrote:
An exciting/interesting FREE fast trackish trial is currently taking place at Thorpe Park. It's called Reserve 'n' Ride. And basically acts as a free virtual queue.

You register using a Smartphone (or at the ride entrance) and once the timer counts down, you can ride.

Check out the details at: http://www.thorpepark.com/prices/reserve-and-ride.aspx

I hope it catches on, and stays FREE!

This sounds great!

Hopefully if it catches on Merlin will roll it out across other parks too :)

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I was at thorpe park on thursday. It was a great day, everything was running smooth and the park staying open till 7pm was a bonus. But they really need to work on colossus batching. Or invest in new trains as the restraints are getting too small for many people and they have to move people around. :|
^Made by Lewis97

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Alex.D wrote:
I was at thorpe park on thursday. It was a great day, everything was running smooth and the park staying open till 7pm was a bonus. But they really need to work on colossus batching. Or invest in new trains as the restraints are getting too small for many people and they have to move people around. :|

Lap bars. That will be all...

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Whilst I agree that Colossus needs new trains, as the current ones are quite cramped, I'm not sure lap bars would be the best idea - unless Intamin can come up with some Swarm style restraints or even like the Mack ones on Blue Fire.  These are both comfy and do the job perfectly I think :)

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 pm

For those who haven't seen them yet, these are the trains and restraints featured on Cinecitta World's new Intamin 10 inversion coaster:

While similar in appearance to Skyrush's lapbars, these are a brand new design from Intamin, and should in theory reduce or eliminate the discomfort issues had with their predecessors. At the moment, I'd take anything over Colossus' current trains, but I like to think that these could be something for Thorpe to look into over the next couple of years. Especially as I feel Colossus would be the perfect flagship coaster to lead the introduction of inverting lapbars into the UK industry.
Last edited by Sam198 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Luce wrote:
Whilst I agree that Colossus needs new trains, as the current ones are quite cramped, I'm not sure lap bars would be the best idea - unless Intamin can come up with some Swarm style restraints or even like the Mack ones on Blue Fire.  These are both comfy and do the job perfectly I think :)

I'm really bad with restraint knowledge due to the lac of coasters i've been on, though in my opinion the comfiest restraints at Thorpe would have to be Swarms... When it comes to colossus along with the restraints (and i'm a thin person) which hug my body to the point of suffocation, i'm slightly more concerned about the fact that my knees are constantly only a few feet from my head and a jolt big enough could cause the headache (which i'll obviously have anyway... I mean cmon, it's Colossus!) to turn into death!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Lap bars would be brilliant, but the best restraints are Saw/The Smiler's, no seat belts to worry about. I have also never seen anyone turned away because they are too large.

For example I can't even ride Colossus for this reason.
If you go down to the woods today

phate06
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:55 pm

How bad has it become on Colossus then? I have not been to Thorpe Park for several years.

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Colossus has got pretty jolty over the years and is only smooth in the front row which is a shame as apart from that and the need for new trains, I quite enjoy it still :)