UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:31 pm

As reported on SouthParks News, this weekend saw the 2019 Malibu Boats UK Wakeboard Nationals take place at Thorpe Park Resort.

Hosted by LDB Wakeschool, who operate throughout the year providing wakeboarding instruction and experiences inside the Resort, the event provided lively entertainment for spectators whilst being of national importance for the competitors. With music and commentary, the waterside area had a continual crowd of spectators.

This happened on a perfect weekend at the Resort. It was perhaps the busiest day of the season so far, with crowd levels similar to that of peak Fright Nights, with the overflow car park starting to be used around 11am, and it being almost full across the entire length of the car park by the end of the day. The atmosphere from the event, along with music and commentary across a PA, was fantastic and I spent a good couple of hours watching what was going on.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 pm

Guest feedback from the park doesn't make pretty reading tonight. Complaints of long traffic traffic jams getting into the car park, long queues for security, drinks running out (unclear what drinks), then the usual stand still getting out of the car park.

I experienced the long queue to get in last week, and queued for about 40 minutes from the M25 Heathrow side, although that appeared to be a mix of issues with Ascot races until I was the otherside of Staines when it was all Thorpe traffic. This weekend Google Maps suggested it was queued from Staines. Two issues seem to cause this, sheer volume of traffic, but also everyone trying to force themselves into a single lane on entry and poor traffic management / site design. On the positive side though, it does appear a lot more people are visiting the park than last year.

I've managed to avoid the getting out disaster by luck so far this year on some days, especially last weekend when only 2 barriers were operational when I left (cone infront of one, bag over the reader of another) and the car park and overflow were at near capacity.

For all the work done improving other aspects of the park, with the improved operations noticeably reducing queue times last weekend with respect to the number of guests in the park, it's a real shame that access to the site is yet again causing problems. Seemingly nothing has been done to improve this, despite public statements a new parking system would be in place. Only the second weekend of summer, I fear for what is to come.