UK theme parks from another point of view!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: February Half Term 2015

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:58 am

THE SWARM, Stealth, Angry Birds 4D, King Pig's Wild Hog Dodgems, Flying Fish and Depth Charge make the line up this year. I'm quite surprised that Depth Charge is on there- unless you don't get too wet

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:33 pm

TTheory wrote:
THE SWARM, Stealth, Angry Birds 4D, King Pig's Wild Hog Dodgems, Flying Fish and Depth Charge make the line up this year. I'm quite surprised that Depth Charge is on there- unless you don't get too wet

You get a bit of splash but its like a dribble. I'm 50/50 on this line up. Its an ok line up but would have been nice to see one or two thrill rides open. At least i will get to release my inner kid on the dodgems.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:37 pm

I suspect we'll see a bit more than that open. Otherwise it's a very disappointing line up.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Would seem late to announce anything else, less then a week to go!
However, I am disappointed that X isn't open. It's a great coaster and it's indoors.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

February Half Term Review(s)

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:40 pm

So, after some years Thorpe Park Resort have opened a selection of rides and attractions for February Half Term - branded as BRAINIAC LIVE!

The ride and attraction line up is as follows -
- THE SWARM
- Stealth
- ANGRY BIRDS 4D EXPERIENCE
- King Pig's Wild Hog Dodgems
- Flying Fish
- Depth Charge
- Storm in a Teacup
- Various side games
BRAINIAC attractions -
- BRAINIAC Information Station (The Dome)
- Elephants Toothpaste (Amity Cove)
- Energy Bikes (ANGRY BIRDS LAND)
- Airzooka Challenge (Stealth Plaza)
- BRAINIAC LIVE! (Lakeview Marquee [white tent near THE SWARM])

Various catering facilities were also available such as KFC, Peckish, Amity Fish and Chips, Amity Coffee, The Amity Kebab Co. , Roast and Relish, Amity Donuts and various within The Dome including the newly re-themed 'Bar 360' now under the name of Fin's Bar & Grill - to suit the Thorpe Shark Hotel.

Now my review.

Firstly I will start with positive aspects of the event, these include attractions such as ANGRY BIRDS 4D EXPERIENCE and THE SWARM. As well as the various BRAINIAC stalls within the park.

Upon arrival I was greeted by the electronic board above the entrance advertising the new I'M A CELEBRITY...GET ME OUT OF HERE! attraction, it done this by simply showing this video - http://youtu.be/HO34D_dGBLo - while having other information about the event being played every now and then. I liked how the advertising was there but wasn't overpowering. I then ventured into a very quiet park and headed towards THE SWARM. I noted the queue was rather large for BRAINIAC LIVE! and decided to pass as I wasn't to bothered as I had seen a video before hand, and moved into THE SWARM Island. The first thing I had noted was the theming for THE SWARM was still in top condition, although the recently added billboard element had started peeling slightly. I saw the queue time was 5 minutes and joined what seemed to be a very short queue, to find the one train operation was causing this to move at a fairly slow rate and the initial 5 minutes had expanded to approximately 20 minutes give or take. THE SWARM was running as smooth as ever and I found absolutely no problems with it. After I had finished on THE SWARM, I decided to head for Stealth, however I will save this for later. Moving on to ANGRY BIRDS LAND, I noted the lack lustre theming had not changed and the absence of Detonator: Bombs Away was noted although I was not bothered by this as I am not a fan. I also noted King Pig's Dodgems was proving to be popular amongst the younger children at the park. ANGRY BIRDS 4D EXPERIENCE was definitely a highlight to my day due to me finding that the experience as a whole was much more family friendly and the effects used (especially the water) had been improved vastly, the host made the experience much better this time around also - engaging the audience by telling us to 'boo' or 'cheer'. I also rode Storm in a Teacup for the pure hell of it. Skipping to the final hours of the day, I noted THE SWARM was considerably fast and was taking on inversions at a very fast rate. As well as the rides on offer, the BRAINIACS IN TRAINING tents were also quite varied and seemed to have guest at them constantly, even if some weren't exactly where they were on the map.

Now the more negative aspects of my trip.

As I mentioned earlier I was going to leave Stealth out. The reason for this was because as much as it pains me to say - it was not at all a highlight of my trip. As my second ride of the season, I decided to take on Stealth in 'Pole Position' (front row). I was very much looking forward to this seeing how much I had enjoyed this last year, and the experience was ok. The first thing I noticed was that even with entering the park at 11 o'clock, Stealth was still testing. At the point when I had gotten in the queue, it was approximately 2 hours into the 6 hour event and Stealth was still testing - luckily it soon opened. Upon entering the '15 minute queue' I was optimistic I would be off the ride by 12:20, I was wrong. Although it is understandable that queuing for 'Pole Position' adds a small amount of time to your initial queue time - it was ridiculous! As well as being on one train operation, the time took unloading rider was quite frankly abysmal. Once finally seated and at this point still quite happy the train took off. Although it was in no way a bad ride - it was nothing like I had previously experienced and I was slightly disappointed, but it was not so much so to ruin my day. I then later experienced this again - after it has began operation after breaking. This time I was sat at the other end of the train, and once the train took off, I wished it hadn't. The ride was very uncomfortable and lead to some back and neck straining, to compare - it was probably worse than Saw: The Ride on a bad day. This unfortunately affected my day slightly due to the pain down my neck and back. My final ride also happened to be the last train of the day. Initially I queued once again for 'Pole Position' to avoid the pain that was dished out earlier. After queueing approximately 20 minutes, we were told the ride had ceased operation once again, I must admit this angered me slightly. I then noticed how badly the theming and paint work around the ride had been looked after, I understand that this is a 9 year old roller coaster, but it was clear that the paint work was peeling and stickers for gates were missing. This didn't make me angry, more so sad. Finally the ride was back in operation and I had one train until it was my turn, at this point an employee had asked if my friend and I could move from 'pole position' too row 4. This annoyed me as I was going to have another rough ride which I was trying too avoid by queueing well over half an hour for 'pole position'. I was smart and held on this time and this helped slightly.
My second bad point was how little there was for younger ones that was suitable, this left only the Flying Fish and ANGRY BIRDS 4D EXPERIENCE I witnessed a small girl cry due to the lack of entertainment for her.

Although my last two experiences on Stealth were not very good, the other aspects of the day made up for this, I would give the event as a whole a 3.6/5 due to the fact they could have opened more up for younger ones, and made sure the attractions they were opening were ready to be opened. Overall I am pleased with the event, and hope it returns next year bigger and better!"

Now post you reviews below! Also feel free to question me about the above as I will happily answer where I can.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: February Half Term Review(s)

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 pm

I can't say I have noticed any issues this year with Stealth other than some dilapidated theming. The dispatch times were great on Saturday.

In regards to your comment about rides for younger people - what else could they have opened? This may be an issue in general, not just for half term.

For a kids show, I quite enjoyed Brainiac Live!

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:50 pm

I've had two visits to Thorpe over the Feb half term and both were really good and certainly had enough to fill the day, however, it would have been nice if a flat ride or another coaster like X had been open.

Despite this, it was great to get back on The Swarm and Stealth in particular and the Brainiac additions that I took part in were fun and helped to break up the day. Yesterday I also sampled the new pizza pasta place which is a refurb of the old Pizza Hut and whilst I think it's a good replacement, I think there is room for improvement. Admittedly, it was the first day and mostly I was impressed but hopefully once the main season begins, the place will be better :)

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:05 pm

I was happy with the line up for Thorpe. It had a selection of rides that gave everyone an opportunity to ride things. Inferno's pizza and pasta needs to step up a bit to really get to great form after trying it yesterday. Only criticism i have is Swarm came across as messy and slow. I know they were only running one train, but the staff just didn't seem too bothered. They spent a lot of time just talking to each other which slowed down proceedings. Other than that it was a great event and i had a lot of fun.

SamTP
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:40 pm

The full braniac live show if anyone missed it (please like and subscribe if you liked it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3lyc2LvDCg