UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Project 2020

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Whilst Project 2020 is seemingly no more, a new sign has appeared on Swarm Island, asking people for their ideas on the park's future.

Strangely, this is only found on Swarm Island. Also ironically, the feedback point in front of it is just a standard "how was your day" feedback machine, with no ability to give the ideas being asked for.

Will be interesting to see if the park expands on this communication of it's future?

Bert
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Not an RMC please.

People have been pleading for Thorpe Park to get one but I don’t think they it’s the best option for them.

They need a reliable roller coaster with a strong USP (No ridiculous World’s First though) and there are plenty of manufacturers out there such as Premier, S&S, Intamin, Gerst etc who can all provide good coasters that people want from would be an RMC with unique inversions, airtime etc. People forget RMC’s layout aren’t designed by RMC themselves but in fact another company called Ride Centreline. Also recent RMCs have had a number of operational problems recently, Thorpe can’t afford to spend a ridiculous amounts of money for another ride to have constant downtime.

It also should establish it’s own IP and not rely previously established IPs in order to sell the ride. Thorpe Park is currently oversaturated with outdated IPs such as Angry Birds, Derren Brown and TWD. Establishing their own IP will help bring in visitors in the long term rather than just the short term.

Something in the vain of WM would be perfect for Thorpe. A new IP with a large target audience due to a lower height restriction and a strong USP without relying on Merlin’s apocalyptic themes.
[Insert Signature Here]

Formerly Bert2theSpark

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:21 am

RMC reliability is certainly a valid point. Whilst I think it would be a fantastic addition to not only the park, but the UK as well, and could certainly increase visitor numbers from abroad, a lot of RMC's new installations last year had issues. Reliability is certainly something Thorpe will need, plus the sorts of issues RMC were having last year would be disastrous with the UK press.

Daswagone
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 06, 2019 8:32 am

Sorry, I know I'm very late to the conversation, but I always thought the MMXX=? represented the parks uncertainty to whether the project would even happen in 2020 (as suggested by the question mark). I believe this was placed by the park to show they aren't considering a large 2020 addition anymore, and are maybe going with something smaller, like a flat maybe on the Slammer site, and then getting a coaster in 2021?

This would also fit in with Merlin's development pattern of Medium (retheme of X to Walking Dead) and Large (Fright Nights), Small (the pretty much nothing we are getting this year), Medium again (a new flat for 2020) and finally Large (a coaster for 2021).

RobertMaina
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 am

See, thats what I don't understand. If last year was a medium/ large year why didn't they listen to the people and bring in a coaster. How does the money get sucked into FN if 2018's wasn't the best year on park? A new flat for 2020 is possible in my opinion however, they need to start before the turn of closed season. Similar to you, I can see a 2021 coaster. That's the year I'm thinking we shall see a ride. 

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 11, 2019 12:30 pm

RobertMaina wrote:
See, thats what I don't understand. If last year was a medium/ large year why didn't they listen to the people and bring in a coaster. How does the money get sucked into FN if 2018's wasn't the best year on park? A new flat for 2020 is possible in my opinion however, they need to start before the turn of closed season. Similar to you, I can see a 2021 coaster. That's the year I'm thinking we shall see a ride. 

The issue with flats are that they just aren't as marketable as a coaster. Plus after a while flat ride popularity does down quite a margin and when you put in maintenance costs, they just ain't a worthwhile investment.
I also think Merlin just doen't trust Thorpe with their new attraction money. The Swarm while a great ride diddn't help attendance. Ghost Train was an incredible failure that cost a lot. Most of Walking Dead was spent on IP rights and reception to it wasn't great. So why would they give them a bunch of money?
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat May 11, 2019 1:11 pm

I think the 4 yearly cycle has gone from Thorpe, definitely in the short term. I can't help but think the park went through a period of management pulling it in every direction and perhaps throwing more and more money into trying to fix Ghost Train. My suspicion is that once any management issues have been fully resolved and any knock on effects repaired, then they'll produce their next attraction.

I'm not sure there's a concept of Merlin not trusting Thorpe with development funds. I suspect Thorpe have to pitch an idea to get funds, rather than going to Merlin and asking for money for projects that they'll figure out later. So for any attraction spending mistakes Thorpe may have made, I would suspect someone at Merlin also signed off on them before they occurred.

RobertMaina
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Regarding the witness appeal by thorpe on swarm island, There is a question asking about a premium hotel and as well all know, a premium hotel is a good way to get people to stay over an extra night and rake money, maybe not major money but some money at all. This 4 year cycle however has kind of ruined Thorpe. If it's every 4 year, 2020 should theoretically be the next major investment year meaning this year is to be a medium investment year. It's very clear this is a medium investment year, IAC got gutted and replaced by Jungle Escape, a new bouncy castle seems to be joining and a gamer convention. Lots of different events are happening this year, may I say exponentially more than the last few years with many well know brands coming in (MTV, HYPD, TWD). But what isn't happening is any plans for next year being a large investment year. No plans for a coaster, no plans for the new hotel, no plans for anything. The 2020 decade is unprecedented, we can't even say when Loggers will get ripped down. Other than past cycles with investments and what the divisional director has done, we're blind sighted from FN on wards. It's possible Thorpe is going to accept the money but hold off on investing until they actually get an idea of what we all want but it's also possible Merlin decided to make Thorpe wait. Also are we going to miss over the fact that every other UK merlin park has received a new addition for 2019? Chessington received Room on the Broom. Legoland received Haunted House Monster Party and Alton Towers received the Alton Tower's Dungeon. Once again, It's possible Thorpe could've added something but chose to invest in multiple different attractions but I find it weird Thorpe was the only park to differ from the rest. Any ideas?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 pm

I do believe at least part of the reason why we haven't seen any hints of a major new development from Thorpe yet, is due to the fact that a decision is still yet to be made on their permitted development rights application.

My understanding is that this is due to an ongoing dispute with the developer who is looking to convert Cemex House (a property in the relatively close vicinity of the Resort) into a care home, in relation to the potential implications this will have for Thorpe's future planning applications, primarily in relation to noise.

Until a resolution is reached and Thorpe/Merlin have some certainty around this, I'd be surprised to see any major developments brought forward.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 am

The feedback machine by the Witness Appeal sign has been just a regular feedback machine, with no new development specific questions. 

I believe the hotel question is one of several legacy questions that have remained on the feedback machines across the Resort and are in some cases several seasons old. Other questions that occur at roughly the same point as the hotel question include; those that were added to gather feedback on Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon when it first opened, and asking what guests thought about this year being The Year of The Walking Dead.

RobertMaina
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Now, I want to bring more attention to Thorpe's running actors. We've had 4 different types of actors running around park since Opening Saturday. 
1: Jungle Crew (not australian)
2: Film Crew 
3: Jungle Crew (Australian, Jungle Escape)
4:Old Town Crew.
This just could be thorpe trying to incorporate actors similar to Disney. It could just be Thorpe checking out feedback from having said actors out, and this is what I'm thinking. I've seen the feedback machine and I've yet to actually complete the questionnaire but from all I've heard there's yet to be a question reguarding the actors. I believe that this is to experiment with what the people like, and from my experience and my friends alike, its the old town crew.

Now here's the REAL tea. 
If you're a Merlin Annual Pass holder, you might've gotten an email regarding filming in Angry Birds 4D. After walking on park for a few minutes it came very apparent it was a big production. As I walked into the Stealth plaza, I saw Claude from the BBC hit Business Series, The Apprentice. There were also business men and women who supposedly must be this year's candidates. From what I saw walking past them, I think they were pitching Coaster Ideas to the passholders as a challenge. Some posters I saw was for 'The Final Loop' and 'Insomnia'. Other than this, I have no idea what happened but i'm guessing the divisional director must've been there getting pitched to, maybe even some of the creative team from Merlin Magic Making? Maybe this could be a hint at a new coaster? 

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm

RobertMaina wrote:
Now, I want to bring more attention to Thorpe's running actors. We've had 4 different types of actors running around park since Opening Saturday. 
1: Jungle Crew (not australian)
2: Film Crew 
3: Jungle Crew (Australian, Jungle Escape)
4:Old Town Crew.
This just could be thorpe trying to incorporate actors similar to disney. It could just be thorpe checking out feedback from having said actors out, and this is what I'm thinking. I've seen the feedback machine and I've yet to actually complete the questionnaire but from all I've heard there's yet to be a question reguarding the actors. I believe that this is to experiment with what the people like, and from my experience and my friends alike, its the old town crew.

Now here's the REAL tea. 
If you're a merlin annual pass holder, you might've gotten an email regarding filming in Angry Birds 4D. After walking on park for a few minutes it came very apparent it was a big production. As I walked into the stealth plaza, I saw Claude from the BBC hit Business Series, The Apprentice. There were also business men and women who supposedly must be this years candidates. From what I saw walking past them, I think they were pitching Coaster Ideas to the passholders as a challenge. Some posters I saw was for 'The Final Loop' and 'Insomnia'. Other than this, I have no idea what happened but i'm guessing the divisional director must've been there getting pitched to, maybe even some of the creative team from Merlin Magic Making? Maybe this could be a hint at a new coaster? 

Yep Thorpe have been doing a few roaming actor recently. Its always nice to see more ents in the parks. Its pretty standard stuff. not sure how well it fits the Thorpe demographic though (what even is their demographic at the moment)
The bit sounds like its just a filming of The Apprentice. I'd bet my life that whatever ideas the candidates come up with will have absolutely no connection to any future coaster projects. I'd also say that its not an indicator of a coaster coming anytime soon. Its probably just BBC saying hmmm what can we do for a challenge? Here we go lets design coasters. I'm sure it'll be interesting what they come up with but I imagine they'll be extravagant and quite plainly impossible and definitely not within budget.
Thanks Jack