UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Re: Project 2020

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 pm

Htjc_ wrote:
No I think that was Ready Mix Concrete. They are now defunct.

Cemex bought Ready Mix Concrete (RMC lol) and obviously still own the site mentioned above, which was not included the sale of the majority of land to the Tussauds Group.

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 am

I live an hour away from Thorpe and haven't had a reason to visit TP for 5 years. Def won't bother this year or next if no major ride. On the plus side the lack of development has pushed me into Europe and I'm discovering many new parks.

I just hope that they pull something out the bag soon. It would be nice to not have to get on a plane to get my rollercoaster fix.

ProfBurp
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:59 am

Fingers crossed that whatever this turns out to be and whenever it comes along will be worth the wait. TP have been due something big and new for a while now. It's just a shame the wasted so much money on DBGT, which could have been used in much better ways, but hey fingers crossed the wait will be worth it and we might see some planning applications out soon!

coasterprints
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Well I mean reportedly DBGT cost up to £31,000,000 overall and the time difference between The Swarm and DBGT is 4 years so if they can make that money in that time then 2016-2020 is just the right time frame to be able to afford something big like a B&M hyper/ giga coaster! Maybe a B&M giga like Fury 325 or Millenium Force would go nicely in the Old Town area if they cleared it properly.

Matt80302
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Logger’s Leap is confirmed closed guys: link.  

That's a pretty big area to work with now if Project 2020 is to go there.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 pm

coasterprints wrote:
Well I mean reportedly DBGT cost up to £31,000,000 overall and the time difference between The Swarm and DBGT is 4 years so if they can make that money in that time then 2016-2020 is just the right time frame to be able to afford something big like a B&M hyper/ giga coaster! Maybe a B&M giga like Fury 325 or Millenium Force would go nicely in the Old Town area if they cleared it properly.

Whatever the cost of DBGT was, that shouldn't be taken as meaning Thorpe generated the equivalent amount in profits in the years between the opening of The Swarm and DBGT.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 am

With Robin Hood at Walibi Holland being converted to RMC.. Merlin have to realise that with the success of Wicker Man for one, and with the re-opening of Colossus at Heide Park (is that right?) Then either another GCI in Loggers place, or to really up the game, RMC.

With the competition of other parks now coming through, Merlin really need to step their game up with new concepts from across the pond.

EDIT: If not an RMC, then a B&M Hyper coaster. Ideally with the removal of all the structures and rides in that area, I'm edging towards the idea of an RMC.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 am

Coincidence? I think not!
Last edited by Liam.W on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1469!
Ride count 2019: 317!
Cred count: 80!

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 am

If the latest image was connected with the decisions being made by Thorpe for their next coaster, which I doubt, I wouldn't be surprised if they have revealed the track layout! :lol

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:04 am

I highly doubt these latest social “teasers” by Thorpe are in any way related to any potential installations for 2020.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 am

On the one hand:

• We have the same symbol used cryptically twice.
  • An out-of-the-blue big reveal that Loggers Leap was going. Perhaps to clear they way for a separate announcement about what the next development will be, so as to separate the two stories and manage the talking points - would be a good way of managing any new announcement.
  • The park looking to hire a new PR director at the end of last season. Whilst the position may have become vacant, the PR direction for the last couple of years suggests they didn't much care to have one when they had nothing big to sell anyway.

Whilst on the other:

• Thorpe's social media is as reliable as Th13teen on a hot day.

Ben
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Wait, The Swarm have a number like 7706 when it was first teased?

Near a bathroom or something? Hmm.

LC12, wasnt it?
The downside is I can't find a way to connect 2020 to 7706.
Now, tell me- what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
Gotta go fast! and remeber Dont Look Down!

Formally bendaboss

Bert
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 pm

They literally said there are no plans for anything major in the next couple of years yesterday.

Why on earth are people thinking about “teasers” for a 2020 coaster?
[Insert Signature Here]

Formerly Bert2theSpark

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:06 am

Where in that FAQ did it state they have no major plans in the next couple of years?

I can only see the Long Term Development Plan, if that is what you are referencing?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Ben
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:51 am

Bert wrote:
They literally said there are no plans for anything major in the next couple of years yesterday.

Because this is a Project 2020 page, I'm just trying to find something, that could relate to it all, although they did say that - they have no reason not to put up a small tease, as the GP and most others, don't know what it could be. Thorpe have lied before. It makes a bit of sense that the two infinity signs are connected - maybe not with Project 2020, but I'm just stating it could be. 2020 is not as far away as we think.

Formally bendaboss

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:44 pm

bendaboss wrote:
Bert wrote:

Because this is a Project 2020 page, I'm just trying to find something, that could relate to it all, although they did say that - they have no reason not to put up a small tease, as the GP and most others, don't know what it could be. Thorpe have lied before. It makes a bit of sense that the two infinity signs are connected - maybe not with Project 2020, but I'm just stating it could be. 2020 is not as far away as we think.

No, its next year :lol
In all seriousness I am beginning to feel that Project 2020 isn't actually going to happen. Its getting awfully late for any plans to be submitted and approved and building of a new ride to happen in time for 2020, especially if it's one of the enthusiast wish list coasters. That being said, the Infinity warsymbol has now appeared twice and that can't just be conincidence can it.

Ben
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Dom wrote:
bendaboss wrote:
Bert wrote:

No, its next year :lol
In all seriousness I am beginning to feel that Project 2020 isn't actually going to happen. Its getting awfully late for any plans to be submitted and approved and building of a new ride to happen in time for 2020, especially if it's one of the enthusiast wish list coasters. That being said, the Infinity warsymbol has now appeared twice and that can't just be conincidence can it.

In my own Weird way Thats what i was trying to say. People think its ages away, because there is no planning. What i meant is that if we get planning, and more, then it is only 1 year away, and wont feel that long as I definatly agree that its getting late for plans, which is why i said 2020 isnt that much time - from a business standpoint, it is not as far as we think, as they need to submit plans soon, other-wise it will be delayed.
The infinity symbol is a common symbol, but as i said, its highly unlikely to be a coincidence, but might not be for 2020, could be an event.

Formally bendaboss

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:56 pm

If there were to be a major attraction in 2020, we would have seen a planning application go in by now.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:12 pm

I think perhaps there is a week or two before 2020 is a complete write-off for the kind of development we're hoping for. 

If it wasn't for the Logger's announcement, I would have said it's definitely a write-off already. To me the timing is strange, they could have done that well into the closed season, rather than right before the parks start opening again and they're trying to hype 2019. It's just that little bit of traction, which to me gives the slightest hope 2020 is still the target.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:12 pm

Infinity symbol,
Fairly cheap,
I would not object,
Very unlikely.
Thanks Jack