UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X:/ No Way Out

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:01 pm

"Koopa-Troopa" wrote:
I absoloutely love the whole story & idea behind X./NWO just don't think it's been put across very well. Bring on a new update! :D

What story? As far as i'm aware there is no story! :lol: To me its just a roller coaster in a dark pyramid, if there is then theyre REALLY not doing well! :P
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Rowe

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:24 pm

From what I've heard, X:/ is meant to be about being stuck in a computer virus or something related to that, which is why it's so 'techy' inside.

I don't understand the storyline either.
:P

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:30 pm

What has ANYTHING on that ride got to do with computer viruses! :lol: I always thought it was some abandoned military base!
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

AdamTUK
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:52 pm

The beginning of last year they did put new TV's with the new story line up, sure it was strange happens... either way by mid season non of them worked, so can't quite remeber.
Last edited by AdamTUK on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowe

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:01 pm

"Mankey" wrote:
What has ANYTHING on that ride got to do with computer viruses! :lol: I always thought it was some abandoned military base!

I know! And well, it is in the Lost City, which has unexplained theming so... =O Maybe it's a lost.. computer!
:P

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Basically, the (rather weak) story line is this:

Doctor X of X laboratories (XNWO Pyramid and entrance etc) has invented a one of a kind, super computer (i.e. XNWO ride itself). However, something goes wrong causing the super computer to corrupt and gain a virus turning it evil. Hence those men searching inside X on the videos and when leaving the station the security announcement telling you to "Not Proceed" plays. The shuttles are something to do with the computer (i'm unclear on what exactly the whole shuttle X5 location confirmed bit means...) but then the "Switching to Manual control" is all about the computer going out of control from the virus and stuff. Then, apparently upon going into the last set of brakes (just before you enter the station) another announcement is meant to play saying "X has performed an Illegal operation and will be shut down" however, sadly this has never been addressed and fixed :(

Bless it though. It's very bizarre i mean what with the Philips power battery, the robots, the shuttles, the random professor X of X laboratories and the main ride being the super computer :? ahh well.

Hope that sheds some light on the mystery :P

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Skumfidus

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:26 am

I'm pretty sure that the Pyramid houses the super computer, and the shuttles are maintanance shuttles used to get staff from place to place, hence the shuttles being named and numbered.

Personally I think X could be amazing, but it needs more then a revamp, it needs a total overhaul, ripped out and rebuilt. My favourite part is on one of the brake runs where the 'computer' is attempting to reboot but fails (or something to that effect!)

It's cheesy genius!

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:59 am

Am I the only one how actually likes the story-line?

It's a shame THORPE PARK don't try and get it across to the general pulbic, because some of them actually do care. :|

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:46 pm

This seems to me like further proof that X wont be going anywhere, or changing much in the forseeable future :x Adding new TVs with a story line (even though none were working on monday :wink: ) and further little changes like moving the operator's box, painting bits of the queue, adding lights. etc., it shows that they want to keep it for a while, and i really, really cant think why. I think of it as an embarrasment to the otherwise high quality thorpe park

jonathan leake
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Theirs a ride in Japan that kind a mix between a rollercoaster and Dual type ride. I think something like that would be good in their. And then paint the Pyramid into a more classic one. Then i would get ride of the Rangers bit and the arena and add all that area into Calypso Quay. Then all the small rides from their i would put on one of the new islands along with the family coaster that is ment to be bulit.

deeve
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:48 pm

There is no defending this ride at all. Its a best rubbish worse dangerous. There are other dark ride options. Mack, Intamin and Gerst could provide some nice new track and trains that could be slotted in there and a way we go. Id say for a new track and trains would cost Thorpe 7 mil and they could have a new attraction for half the cost of a whole new project. Forget a new flat or treasure island they should spend the money on sorting out x no way out.

AstroDan

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:06 am

Part of my problem with this ride, is not that it is shabby. OK, it isn't very good - but in many ways that is the appeal!

The problem for me, is that the queue is often long (any more than 20 minutes for it is to me, a waste of time). For me, shoddy - but quirky/funny rides such as X:/ are worth a ride - but clearly not when there's a long queue.

It's a shame the trains didn't hold more people. The Mack trains on Eurosat are much more compact yet hold double the number of people, and trains are dispatched once every 40 seconds.

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Again, am I the only one who actually likes X? :lol:

I love scaring people whenever the brake comes in & the switching to maunual-control bit. :P

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

No Way Out revamp. What would YOU do?

Tue May 05, 2009 12:34 pm

I would personally love a creepy egyptian themed ride to be done - to rival Revenge of the Mummy. (It won't happen). The shape is just perfect, and it would fit better into the Lost Kingdom (?) theme to which Colossus belongs.

I would not like to see a shooter ride built. I am worried, if (and when) the revamp happens, we'll just get another Tomb Blaster.

I just think the ride is such a waste of space - physically and literally. It's obviously a huge show building, and I really hope something is done with it sometime.

What would you like to see happen to the show space?
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Re: No Way Out revamp. What would YOU do?

Tue May 05, 2009 3:10 pm

I actually really like the concept of the ride as it is, and think that it should be kept.

What should of course be done is a tonne of theming (theming which I gather may have been there in the past, but has since been removed / broken down and not fixed?)

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Well, you asked for it bassicaly turn it into NO WAY OUT, and theme it to an ancient temple, cursed kind of have an element of mystery around it and remove everything that says it goes backwards. Instead, put a sign up saying no-one knows what to expect once inside. Cut out the cattle-pen that's on the outside, so queing is only inside. Whilst there, there are noise, models and occasional live-actors & air effects to make you jump as well as flashing lights and the inside cattle-pen area in complete darkness.
Then once you're in your car, which would be totally re-painted, instead of the normal backwards start, your car goes forward before coming to a dead end, where people would of normall got off. Then you hear fate muttering and your car goes backwards, the rest of the ride has slight water, light and air effects but nothing to major. Then at the end, they could expand the building into a sort-of mirror-maze like Houcus Pocus Hall at CWOA, only scarier.

Thought it would be great, but doubt it will happen! :D

JarethDrakul
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 pm

^^that is an amazing idea :D. Is the queue line mainly the outside bit? when I went there was no line so we just got to walk straight through to go on. The inside line bit is big enough I'd imagine to hold the lines that ride get (It had the lowest ride time on Saturday I do believe).

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

When I went last Friday, the line was 30 minutes - with a 15 minute break down. I didn't mind waiting, as it was indoors... I just think so much more can be done with the queue line. Putting a roof on top of the queue area may help - to hide the roof structure.

Thorpe have to stop relying on the PR fact this ride is a world first... there's a reason there's no other ride in the world like it - and that's because there's no need for one!

I do enjoy the ride when it's walk on... but, to wait for this is a mistake - and I've never heard positive comments from people when they leave the ride.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 10:45 pm

if we're keeping the tracks in there, I'd like to see the whole thing nicely lit up, and have some good theming added, and then, I'd like to add euro mir style cars, and do something about those brake / launchy sections

If they remove the ride - just imagine a spinning coaster in there, with a shooty element - when the target on your car is hit - it's SPINNY TIME!

JarethDrakul
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 07, 2009 9:40 pm

"nickhutson" wrote:
I do enjoy the ride when it's walk on... but, to wait for this is a mistake - and I've never heard positive comments from people when they leave the ride.

Yeah my friend was really disappointed with it and she only waited about 2 minutes to get on it. I agree the whole world first thing doesn't really make it feel that special to me either, I couldn't see any other park really wanting one...most definately with the ending of the ride :? 2 minutes just waiting.

Some lighting effects would be nice, a strobe light in one part (though that would be abit of a bother when I think of it)...well theres my input for my revamp :lol: