UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: The Walking Dead: The Ride - New for 2018

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 am

Seems this is having some issues recently, as it was closed a lot yesterday and they've had to do a full building evacuation this morning (so close to being in there for it! ).

We've been told the evacuation light has come on, and maintenance have been unable to turn it off and are still trying to figure the cause. We were allowed to wait just over half an hour before being given fastrack and sent on our way.

Edit: Fixed it within an hour of the shutdown. :)

Also seems the bass is louder today in the pre-show!

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm currently on site and the ride is trailing a new "live/Fright Nights" mode. I shall leave below what happens for anyone who wants to know.

Spoiler: show
An actor has been put in the preshow to scare guests entering and push the crowd to the ride quicker.

A new, more intense light sequence on dispatch has been added with it being left in darkness for a few seconds in the station and room next to it.

Multiple new effects along the ride have been tweaked (this maybe new or just fixed so I'm unsure on this point)

The actors on the exit have been ramped up and aren't taking it easy with 2 to 3 actors inside in not just the canteen, but further down the corridors.

This Fright Nights is going to be fun
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Sweet! I've been waiting for them to press that live button on the pre-show panel! :)

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:
Sweet! I've been waiting for them to press that live button on the pre-show panel! :)

At the moment. I don't think this is the live pre show button. There seems to be no changes in the preshow video.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:27 pm

DeadJack5 wrote:
Swarm Chris wrote:

At the moment. I don't think this is the live pre show button. There seems to be no changes in the preshow video.

Intriguing.

It's looking like Thorpe may have a few surprises up it's sleeve this year! :)

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Is this a permanent change for the ride?

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:43 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
Is this a permanent change for the ride?

As said above, it is being trailed as a "Live/Fright Nights mode" so should be seen trailing slightly at the moment but featured prominently at Fright Nights.

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:38 am

Well that guarantees I won't be doing the ride again any time soon :lol

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 am

You'll be fine, give it a go! :lol

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:08 pm

MMM Instagram have posted a closer look at some of the walkers used inside the attraction.

I've added them in a spoiler tag in case you want to skip them...

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:30 pm

That is a really nice inside look into them. Its really amazing how much detail they actually have. I must admit that the one without a nose creeps me out a little bit :lol

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:34 pm

A couple of the effects aren't working today. Some of the smoke on the ride and one of the pre-show screens aren't working today.

And now for a possible Fright Night update:

It's possible the rear screen in the pre-show doesn't work because it's not there any more. There's a little room where the screen is, which appears to have been emptied out. Could we have actors being the zombies here during Fright Night? If so I wonder if they'll remove the window so they can reach through and grab at people?

Finally, pretty funny run through with another terrified group. No one would go through the double door at the end, then when they did they ran back out into the ride area, causing people to step back and edge ever closer to the train. Had to help the staff a little too get them out of the station and not end up falling into the train. Twice! :lol

nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Walking Dead: The Ride

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 pm

This is going to sound sad, one of my favourite things to do is let out some really loud high pitch screams in the corridor on the walk to the ride, did it again today, it gets others screaming in fear, builds the atmosphere and gets folk running for the train.  :lol

Shame there are no actors, or jump scares of some sort in that first pre ride section, think they really missed a trick with that, everyone (who haven’t ridden it already) is so on edge expecting something to happen. 

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:11 pm

THE WALKING DEAD: THE RIDE

THORPE PARK Resort is overrun by Walkers and there is but one goal: survive. Making it to the sanctuary of the Safe Zone is vital for salvation. Located at the centre of the Island, navigate your way to the safety of the indoor bunker - but be warned. All signs point to an imminent invasion of Walkers, so keep your head down and move quickly for your best chance of staying alive.

We will see you at the Safe Zone…For the first time ever, experience The Walking Dead: The Ride. Those who ride…survive!

With the closed season upon us, how would you review The Walking Dead: The Ride at the THORPE PARK Resort?

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 am

Initially, I wasn't too keen on the idea. I thought it was just a silly cash grab at a ride that didn't really need changing after the recent work it had done.

After my first ride, I enjoyed it. I thought it was an overall good experience and liked what had happened. By the end of the 2018 Season, the ride had really grown on me and become one of my most rode attractions for the year at Thorpe Park. Seeing it improve over the year and even experiencing it with a different, more intense mode really did make the ride one of my favourites.

For it's second season, I would really like to see the effects on the inside kept up and maintained better. I do hope the actors are kept as they do greatly improve the overall experience. Finally I just hope not too many budget cuts aren't made like a certain other attraction just around the corner from it.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 pm

The Walking Dead: The Ride has had a small number of modest additions, with a couple of small animatronics added at the end of the attraction and a very small addition in the entrance corridor. The overall flow of the attraction remains the same as last year, however guests now receive a Fright Nights style introductory speech before entering the building, which includes no running and actor interaction rules.

Guests were also being queued more inside the building before the station, with about a 5-10 minute wait inside. Queuing here is perhaps not the most comfortable experience, given the extremely loud sound effects you can hear from elsewhere in the ride repeatedly.

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 20, 2019 7:01 pm

So, next up is The Walking Dead: The Ride, which was the last thing I rode before leaving, and first of all, I’ve got to say that I prefer this to X. However, I do think that X was more necessary for the park, as my 8 year old little brother was thoroughly bored for most of the day. Anyway, onto the ride itself. 

SPOILERS AHEAD

The outdoor queue is literally just cattlepens, so I’ll not talk about that and just cut straight to the, in my opinion, unnecessary pre show. They just could’ve had some queueline announcements saying things like “Safe zone breach. Walker invasion imminent” or something like that. Don’t get me wrong though, it was impressive. 

After the unthemed indoor queue, the actual ride isn’t that bad. The mid course stop was fun, and the ride is smooth and enjoyable. Granted, the mannequins they put around the ride were uninspiring, but they did try to make them seem as scary as possible. 

Now it’s out of the ride, and without warning I’m straight in the middle of my first scare actor experience, and I loved it. I almost wanted to take a selfie with them, they were that great!

So overall, great job, but shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Overall: 6.5/10
Last edited by DeadJack5 on Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler Tags Added