UK theme parks from another point of view!

digitaldan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:07 pm

The new virtual queueing system went into Jungle Coaster a few weeks ago. You can pick up a ticket from 10.30 and if all tickets are sold out, there is another session from 1500.

As for general queue lengths, depends how busy the park is due to the weather, and if its one of the firework event nights (Which on occasion can bring the park to capacity). Either way for major attractions queues can be in excess of 2 hours, although you may be lucky.

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:18 am

Thanks guys, I think I'll manage without a Q-bot, but I might be tempted for £10 for unlimited fastrack.

Are you thirsty?

ReallyRollercoasterRules
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:13 pm

I visited Legoland the other day!

Jungle Coaster's queue lookied about 10 minutes long- but due to the worst capacity I have EVER seen the queue was 50 minutes long!

A queued 20 minutes for the rapids WORST EVER- Only half of the ride was themed and you didn't get very wet :x

Pirate Falls was walk-on pretty much all day when I was there- That's a great ride- 1 classic drop and the whole ride well themed- LEGOLAND'S BEST

The Dragon- Good ride, The start well themed- The main ride is a bit pointless though- It would be better all indoors with lots of scenery- and 3 chain lifts :?

That's about it- Worth visiting but not half as good as any other Merlin parks! :(
Really Rollercoaster- The Latest Theme Park News & Reviews

[url=http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank]http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/[/url]

Johno
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:30 pm

The rapids are better later in the day. They tend to 'speed' up a bit!

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:03 pm

You have to remember Legoland isn't a thrill park. As far as theming goes, it's great, but if you want a thrill in that region head to Thorpe. It's a really nice park, but the capacity can be a problem and the rides aren't exactly the most thrilling, however they aren't suposed to be.

My Tip - To get the most out of Legoland you have to visit with kids (or as a kid), as you can ride with them and get pleasure seeing them enjoy it. I took my cousin recently, and whilst the rides aren't as good as the likes of Nemmy, seeing his face on all the rides was really nice 8)

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:22 pm

"ReallyRollercoasterRules" wrote:
I visited Legoland the other day!

A queued 20 minutes for the rapids WORST EVER- Only half of the ride was themed and you didn't get very wet :x
:(

I got soaked - loved it!

digitaldan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:45 pm

I agree the themeing on the rapids could be improved, although the lego sculptures are impressive (Over 800,000 bricks in each of those dragons lol).
I still think the ride itself is a bit more thrilling then Rumba at Thorpe, I feel thats a bit old now.

Spendleb
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:16 pm

We went during the school holidays (the last week before they went back) and it was a living nightmare, massive queues and you couldn't move, we had a 2 day pass and it was needed, even getting there early didn't help but you do get a short spell of getting on rides before it gets too mad, both days we gave up by 3pm and had enough!

Even the Q Bot option had a massive queue! Despise paying extra though just to get on rides you have already paid a fortune for!

sickparrot
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:45 am

Just been this weekend (Sat 27 Sept).

I have to agree with most of the above. Queues were appalling for extremely quick rides (not quick as in fast/thrilling, quick as in over quick). Queues for refreshments were almost as bad.

And one of the railway barriers stuck shut so we had to walk all the way back round the lake to get to the other side.

On the plus side, the models were something I've always wanted to see since I was a Lego obsessed kid, and they didn't disappoint. The show was OK. And I managed to blag 3 of us in for £35, so not bad value all-in-all.
Out on Blue Six...
It\'s Chips and Jackets, Peas and Trousers

thorpecrazy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Legoland plans new Egyptian themed attraction for 2009

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:58 pm

Latest Update:

New Land : Kingdom of the Pharaohs
New Ride : Laser Raiders

All the info:

[url=http://www.themeparks-uk.com/legoland-windsor-guide/whats-new/" target="_blank]http://www.themeparks-uk.com/legoland-w ... whats-new/[/url]
[url=http://www.ThemeParks-UK.com\" target=\"_blank]www.ThemeParks-UK.com[/url]
your guide to UK theme parks

Nemair
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:29 pm

That ride is so bright! Have they ever heard of ambient lighting? You can see every single next scene and ruins the adventure!

:(

AstroDan

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:05 pm

The Legoland Windor site seems to have been updated with some initial previews of the 2009 land and attraction.

Looks like it could be a good shooter!

:D

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Legoland Windsor 2009: Egyptians Wanted!

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 am

Why would they bother with this with CWOA down the road?
I sense bad times for CWOA ahead. :(

Johno
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:22 am

Looks like it could be quite a good attraction.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:15 pm

"AirWolf" wrote:
Why would they bother with this with CWOA down the road?
I sense bad times for CWOA ahead. :(

Because they are a Business and they want to get as many visitors as they want?

Legoland has grown nicely over the last few years, there has been so many new rides added since my last visit (5 years ago).

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 pm

Thanks for the link!

Looks like next year will be quite a big year for Legoland nice to see the investment in the park. I do wonder how like tomb Blaster this is going to be though.
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean

SAM93

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:43 pm

No wouldn't this have been a sight to see...

[url=http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090217/tuk-pharaoh-floats-down-the-thames-6323e80.html" target="_blank]http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090217/tu ... 23e80.html[/url]

Looks amazing.

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 pm

wow impressive
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean

Corkscrewed

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 am

Seriously impressive o_O I bet that made the American siteseers who are ALWAYS in London happy :P

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Legoland Windsor 2009: Laiser Raiders / Scarab Bouncers

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Well, I thought I might as well stop lurking and post something... Beware, spoilers ahead...

What with the hype around Saw, (and the fact that, being a children's park, Legoland will inevitably receive less attention), the opening of Kingdom of the Pharaohs was bound to be forgotten to some extent. Nevertheless, Friday was indeed the big day, and Legoland Windsor now has an eleventh park area.

The opening ceremony on Friday, even though delayed by half an hour, was quite fun - it was held by Vicky Brown, Legoland general manager, with the UK ambassador for Egypt, and the UK and Ireland general manager for Egyptair (sponsors) cutting the red tape.

Laser Raiders, I think, is very good. Queuing takes place in half of the old circus tent, and the theming and attention to detail is actually really great. Lots of models, many recycled from the now-closed Explorers' Institute.

At the end of the queue, you are ushered into a small room, where you're shown a short video (back-story and safety briefing). You're then directed down a short tunnel made like a temporary marquee, which is a huge shame. The queue-line is dark and well themed, the ride building is dark and well themed, but the tunnel connecting the two is light and bare. Also to be noted is that the tunnel cuts across the Orient Expedition, so every now and then it has to be blocked off to allow the train to pass through. That's really slowed down the Orient Expedition terribly, but I hope that being brand new it's just teething problems.

At the end of the tunnel, you queue again to board the vehicles - again, teething issues I hope, 'cause otherwise there is a definite feeling of having to queue twice. The ride itself then appears to be an exact copy of that in California (judging by the video linked by Johno above) - same scenes, same models, even same track layout... it was clearly made from the same plans. However, it's really good fun - I rode it three times, and on two of those occasions planned to pay more attention to details and the mechanics of the ride, but instead I ended up shooting as many targets as possible! (Perhaps I just have a short attention span...). The only big criticism I have about the ride itself is the lack of actual Lego - unlike most/all other models in the park, those in Laser Raiders are just fiberglass shells, which feels like a bit of a cop-out.

You then exit the ride into the other half of the old circus tent, which now contains a new shop ('The Bazaar'), and Scarab Bouncers. Scarab Bouncers is good fun, but definitely aimed at very young kids.

Kingdom of the Pharaohs also include the old Brickadilly's Fairground Rides, which have been re-themed and have become Desert Chase, Thunder Blazer and Aero Nomad.

All in all, I personally feel that Kingdom of the Pharaohs has been done well. There are definitely some things that could have been done a lot better (namely that tunnel, and the lack of Lego models in Laser Raiders), but all in all, a good effort by Legoland Windsor :D.

If anyone's interested, I have a few pictures on my website here.