UK theme parks from another point of view!

Which is superior?

Poll runs till Mon Jul 04, 2044 6:00 pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory @ Alton Towers
22 (79%)
Bubbleworks @ Chessington World of Adventures
6 (21%)

Total votes: 28

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Charlie or Bubbleworks?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:00 pm

I was just wondering, the latter two are probably the most major family dark rides in the country and obviously both reside at two Tussauds parks, but I've never seen any opinions of one in opposition to the other.

So... which dark ride is better, Charlie (in it's current, slightly improved state) or Bubbleworks (with it's sponser).

Based of videos alone of Bubbleworks, I'd say the boat ride looks far superior but then Charlie does have that edge with the lifts and the facade themeing and music are both immaculate in my opinion.

Nick

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:04 pm

I would much rather go on Charlie than through Bubbleworks anyday! I know Charlie is bad, but its amazing when compared to Bubbleworks at Chessington!

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Well i can really only comment from a video perspective for Bubble works as i haven't been on it it. But i think i much prefer Charlie, the ducks seem to have taken over Bubbleworks more than they did the flume, way to much OTT sponsor, also i know there isn't much of it (well more now) of the themeing in Charlie, but what is there is amazing, very good & detailed it has that feel to it that's not cheap or tacky! Kind of grand, cant really explain it

Thomas

John
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Shouldn't the question really be which ride has been ruined less by its retheme?

Dr Pop Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:26 am

Charlie, Bubbleworks is now a complete train wreck, it's horrid, Charlies is a "meh" ride, but it just completely beats Bubbleworks by a long shot...

Bubbleworks, was one of the best dark rides in Europe, now I consider it one of the worst, that's saying something if it's crappier than Charlie.

Charlie all the way on this one...

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:46 am

I put Bubbleworks, only reason being that when i went on Charlie i thought it was terrible with most of the theming being 2D. I know the Bubbleworks isn't exactly an amazing ride but i can see through the new theming and the ride is still what is was to me a few years ago.

I can't help it, Charlie didn't impress me at all and the Bubbleworks still has its old magic with it but that will soon run out with this **** called sponsership, surely Tussauds can see what this is doing to their rides!!

Ram737
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:53 am

Has to be Charlie for me, Bubbleworks just doesn't impress anymore, ducks all over the place. CATCF at least has something different being the elevator and although i haven't been on it since, the new animatronics must of imrproved the ride experience.

The things i enjoy about Bubbleworks are the boats (round), light effects and the water spraying around at points.

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:48 pm

I've not been on bubble works so i'll reserve my judement untill i have :D

Henty
......The one and only... :sus:

rctom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:08 pm

bubbleworks. y is everyone so against it. its much better then charlie. but i only think that cause it gets you soaked at the last part. and the lights ect. i know the imperial leather ruined it but still a great ride imo.

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Lol.

I'd rather sit at home and look at pictures of CatCF all day than go on Bubbleworks once. It's the worst ride ever and I can say CatCF is better without even going on it.

bubbleworks. y is everyone so against it. its much better then charlie. but i only think that cause it gets you soaked at the last part. and the lights ect. i know the imperial leather ruined it but still a great ride imo.

It's boring, tacky (in a bad way), unfunny, has awful music, like a really really bad advert, put's you off buying soap no actually it puts you off washing again, it used to be Chessingtons best non coaster, the park has suffered now it's been rethemed, the "theming" is falling apart already, the colours are garish, a two year old could've thought of a better theme, the building it's in looks ugly outside now, it's been done lazilly the wrecked then reused the old theming, it's basically the same as the old ride just made crap, it stinks of soap, the boats are too slow you should go through at about 1,000mph, the music they use in the station makes you want to smash the speakers, it makes no sense what so ever, it has no story, all the charm the old ride had is gone, it's like a hospital inside as it's so bland sometimes, some of the theming is wtf, it's all a bodge, it makes the park look cheap, the ride was popular before so why did they retheme it, it has a rubbish name now, it has too many ducks, the fountain finale is badly lit and the music on isn't good anymore, everytime I remember the old ride I realise I can't ride it anymore and it's absolutely **** **** and Tussauds should tear it down now.

Benbrit

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:21 pm

It was quite amusing, last time I went to Chessington (last week), I decided to go on the tragically murdered ride. I entered into the Q-line and noticed something..... The Q was completely empty, there was not a single person, I then went inside the ride and again..... Not a single person. As I crossed the bridge, the ride hosts gave me a look that was almost like :shock: "my god a rider" :shock: . It was still like this 2 hours later when I drifted past it on the way to the Vampire.

Something I always remembered about the old bubbleworks was that the Q would often come out of the Q line even on quiet days. Its so strange to see a classic ride turned into an electric blue and yellow blip on the landscape, oh well, there’s nothing we can do except wait for the Tussauds group to close it, realising that most people don’t want to spend 10 mins drifting through one of the longest adverts ever made being quacked at.

DiogoJ42

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:51 pm

:rolls:
How can you guys claim to like one ride over another based on an online video?

Yes, we all know that Tussauds ruined PBBW, but those of us who have been going to CWOA since it's very first season (before PBBW existed), and can remember the ride in it's prime, there is no contest.

CatCF sucks donkey balls. The CGI in the lifts is disgraceful for such a modern installation. I have seen higher definition on a wrist watch!

Nomatter how bad PBBW is these days, it will always win hands down, purely because of the Fountain Finale. Any ride that gets you wet, under strobe lighting, will always beat a simulator (especially when the screen is less than a foot from your face).

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:19 pm

They are both pretty terrible rides, I just find Charlie a lot less annoying than PBBW and on that basis I think it's a better ride.....

WolvesBoi92
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:36 am

I've been on the old Bubbleworks and it beat the heck out of Toyland Tours before they both got revamped. Now that they've both been rethemed, I'd say Charlie is an alright ride and the new Bubbleworks is utter tripe.

Charlie has a wonderful soundtrack and the Bubbleworks just has continuous bubble sounds and duck quacking. At least there are some animatronics on Charlie and one nice joke (Bon Bon Voyage!) whereas Bubbleworks has no jokes as such (Sea Mineral Extractor, anyone!) and nothing moves.