UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Official Oakwood Thread!

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 pm

I was making the point that Speed was unique at the time, and is still a good ride, even though less unique. If it is more intense than Saw, like you say, this could be a concern as Oakwood should be aiming at families and maybe Speed is too intense for their family market. However with it's low height restriction, you could suggest otherwise.

I didn't mean Speed was the best Eurofighter (even though that's what i posted :D ). What i meant is that it's a decent ride layout, and that some consider it to be the best layout for a Eurofighter, although not the best Eurofighter ride experience overall, as of course theming and landsaping do make a big difference on this.

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:39 pm

"Dara" wrote:
I was making the point that Speed was unique at the time, and is still a good ride, even though less unique. If it is more intense than Saw, like you say, this could be a concern as Oakwood should be aiming at families and maybe Speed is too intense for their family market. However with it's low height restriction, you could suggest otherwise.

I didn't mean Speed was the best Eurofighter (even though that's what i posted :D ). What i meant is that it's a decent ride layout, and that some consider it to be the best layout for a Eurofighter, although not the best Eurofighter ride experience overall, as of course theming and landsaping do make a big difference on this.

universal appeal is not what oakwood want thats like putting another railway in

---- Post Info Added ----

thinking about hydro does anyone know how the boats tranfer and where is the transfer track and where are the boats stored

JamesP
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 pm

"hell lepard" wrote:
thinking about hydro does anyone know how the boats tranfer and where is the transfer track and where are the boats stored

Hydro only has one boat and therefore no transfer track requirement. From experience of staying in the park overnight with the RCCGB they keep the boat in the station when the ride is not running (and presumably do so all season). The turnaround before the station is not tracked, the boat just flows around the concrete channel, therefore I guess in the off season they can lift it out from there if required.

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:55 pm

"JamesP""][quote=""hell lepard" wrote:

Hydro only has one boat and therefore no transfer track requirement. From experience of staying in the park overnight with the RCCGB they keep the boat in the station when the ride is not running (and presumably do so all season). The turnaround before the station is not tracked, the boat just flows around the concrete channel, therefore I guess in the off season they can lift it out from there if required.[/quote]
ehan it first oppened it had 2 boats

JamesP
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:48 pm

If you can prove me wrong then fair enough but I'm almost certain there has never been more than one boat. Never seen one on many visits and there is only one boat on all the construction photos I have of the ride. In fact there is no location that a second ride boat could be stored or safely positioned on track. See below the comments by a hydro ride operator made on this forum:

3. There is no room for putting two boats on. It is very simple- the momentum of the boat carries it to a chain lift pulling it into the station. A second boat would a) HAVE NO BRAKE RUN AFTER THE DROP...
aka the first boat get stuck.. the second one smashing into it. if the boat is held up before the chain, as necessary if there was to be two boats, then the boat would simply get stuck there, as the lack of momentum would leave it stranded before reaching chain.

http://forums.towersalmanac.com/index.php?showtopic=17274

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Hydro has never had 2 boats, the ride system wouldn't allow for it.

On a slightly different, but yet similar subject, Speed used to have 4 cars for use on the system (although i doubt the ride ever actually ran on more that 2), but if you look in the maintenance section now, it's clear that the ride only has 3 cars, not sure where the forth disappeared to.

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:35 pm

"gazag" wrote:
i know whats next.

pre story to how i know, me and a fellow coaster enthusiast from holland embarked on a 7 day trip around the uk to a hole host of coasters and parks. this being the first week in september we embarked to oakwood on a tuesday to find out to our horror that it was shut. oakwood had screwed up on the website so i rang customer services and asked could we just walk around and take some photos. thankfully the manager agreed and we went to walk about. half way around infront of megaphobia we meet the manager and he asked us if we would like a tour of some of the rides we said yes please. to our amazement he procided to take us on a track walk of megaphobia, behind the sceens of it, under it, round it then also of speed and into the maintanence bays were the trains from megaphobia were in pieces and into the storage area where they have 7 rides waiting to be placed. all of them unfortunelty they are all kids rides from a family park in europe.
along the tour we asked alot of questions includeing what actually happened on hydro a few years back, what is usually replaced on speed, there plans for themeing including there going to properly theme the area of speed and what there new ride will be soon.
the next ride will be in 2011 and will be an extreme spinning flat ride from huss. thats all we could get out of him. i will have photos and videos from this event when i have finnished editing them.

ita been a while since you posted this do have the photos ready and what about hte retheme of speed i think the flat ride is the right way to go at the moment as long as it has a first elemment to it like only one in uk or europe becouse they still need to draw in punters

gazag

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:05 pm

"hell lepard" wrote:
ita been a while since you posted this do have the photos ready and what about hte retheme of speed i think the flat ride is the right way to go at the moment as long as it has a first elemment to it like only one in uk or europe becouse they still need to draw in punters

yeah, dirk the guy from holland has taken quite a while to post out the trip report for it so i guess i get the video on youtube and get it on here. i have the video and he has all the photos lol.

and yes hydro has 2 boats, one is in storage in the big building behind the ride and the other is on the ride, the one on the ride has been on there for years now as the one in storage dosent have the OTSR's, it still has the lap bars.

speed still has 4 trains with 3 being on track and the other one being in the maintance area and yes you can see the other one in the video.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junrXP6jF3g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junrXP6jF3g[/url]

please watch and anjoy this video

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:48 pm

"gazag" wrote:
yeah, dirk the guy from holland has taken quite a while to post out the trip report for it so i guess i get the video on youtube and get it on here. i have the video and he has all the photos lol.

and yes hydro has 2 boats, one is in storage in the big building behind the ride and the other is on the ride, the one on the ride has been on there for years now as the one in storage dosent have the OTSR's, it still has the lap bars.

speed still has 4 trains with 3 being on track and the other one being in the maintance area and yes you can see the other one in the video.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junrXP6jF3g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junrXP6jF3g[/url]

please watch and anjoy this video

Seems like they were telling you guys alot. Did they talk about the Hydro upgrade so everyone can use it?

gazag

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

"hell lepard""][quote=""gazag" wrote:

Seems like they were telling you guys alot. Did they talk about the Hydro upgrade so everyone can use it?[/quote]

he said they were looking into it when i asked him about it. but wouldent tell us alot about there plans for the ride.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Hydro upgrade?! I didn't know anything about that! Is the plan to change it so it can have no height restriction? Or is this to do with chest restrictions?

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:06 pm

"Dara" wrote:
Hydro upgrade?! I didn't know anything about that! Is the plan to change it so it can have no height restriction? Or is this to do with chest restrictions?

its been known that people with broad sholders cannot use the ride

fishdalf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 am

I went to this park about 8 years ago having previously never heard of it. I was surprised to see this half-decent place in the middle of Wales with two decent thrill rides - Hydro and Megafobia. I think I must have rode Hydro 30+ times that day and loved it every single time.

I really hope they do work and improve upon this park, because it definately has the potential to become Britains 5th biggest park with the right care and investment in my opinion. A bold statement but one i'm sticking by.
Get Corrected

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:01 am

"fishdalf" wrote:
I went to this park about 8 years ago having previously never heard of it. I was surprised to see this half-decent place in the middle of Wales with two decent thrill rides - Hydro and Megafobia. I think I must have rode Hydro 30+ times that day and loved it every single time.

I really hope they do work and improve upon this park, because it definately has the potential to become Britains 5th biggest park with the right care and investment in my opinion. A bold statement but one i'm sticking by.

they've now added speed: no limits to the mix which is the same as saw: the ride. With these 3 major attractions and rides like bounce and the pirate ship makes this park well worth visiting.

I try to visit once a year
ThrillJunkieUK

fishdalf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Awkward to get to for me living in Liverpool, but perhaps I'll pay it a visit on my next trip to Wales; re-live those great memories.
Get Corrected

Coaster Neil
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:53 pm

It sounds like Oakwood won’t be getting much next year which is a shame, but next door...
[url=http://www.bluestonewales.com/facilities/adventure_centre.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.bluestonewales.com/facilitie ... entre.aspx[/url]

When I accidentally stumbled across this my jar dropped (a little). It only seems like a few years since Blue Stone was a wild rumour that would ‘never happen’. It’s happened and they’ve already added a major expansion. Personally I think Blue Stone could now be considered a day out in its own right. A couple of hours in the water park, a couple of hours in the entertainment centre, a cycle ride through the woods... I’d go for that. Throw in a day at Oakwood, half a day at Folly Farm and an evening in Tenby and there’s a great short break. Plus there’s a lot of other decent stuff in Pembrokeshire. Really excited about where this could be in ten years time.

It looks like a really well managed attraction. They tick the boxes (blog, Twitter feed), but the investment justifies it.

Edit: OK, didn't realise they recently went into administration. Still a strong addition.
[url=http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/western-mail-cardiff-wales/mi_8001/is_2009_Dec_9/bluestone-venture-pre-pack-administration/ai_n45027400/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles ... n45027400/[/url]
Neil Wilson
[url=http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=780005374&ref=profile\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/prof ... ef=profile[/url]

shane790_0
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:15 pm

Im a theame park junkie more than a thrill junkie...And for some reason I still havnt been to Oakwood, Im going to make sure I get there somtime this summer!
I like the smaller parks over the big glamour parks so Im hoping for big things.

This thread has really made me want to go :P

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 pm

"shane790_0" wrote:
Im a theame park junkie more than a thrill junkie...And for some reason I still havnt been to Oakwood, Im going to make sure I get there somtime this summer!
I like the smaller parks over the big glamour parks so Im hoping for big things.

This thread has really made me want to go :P

Oh really? :box: :D

I'm similar to yourself. I feel some of the smaller parks have more to offer than the big boys when it comes to enjoyable days out. Sometimes its nice to go to a small quiet park instead of the big busy parks that's why I've just come back from Paultons 8) .

Oakwood is a great day out, The parks not huge and hasn't got loads of attractions but its got good quality attractions that you can re ride all day. Just make sure you check out "The Big 5".
ThrillJunkieUK

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:37 pm

has anyone seen the facebook pictures of bounce being tidied up?

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah saw that, it's nice to see them doing some work over closed season.
Although I do find Bounce a very dull ride!
I do enjoy Oakwood though - looking forward to my annual visit in the summer :D