UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mckillmore
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Official Oakwood Thread!

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:26 pm

£4million is paltry, especially considering it's to be spent on a number of different rides and attractions, not to mention the outdoor play areas and themed retail areas.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:17 pm

New photo's added to FB today

Reminds me of the theming from Camelot  :no:
ThrillJunkieUK

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Didn't Thomasland at Drayton Manor cost 5 million? So 4 million isn't that bad.

EC!
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Didn't Thomasland at Drayton Manor cost 5 million? So 4 million isn't that bad.

Exactly and im sure it will lead on to better things :) Also i might of mentioned i feel the this park is what thorpe was like in 1996, they just introduced X and these small to medium investments, grew into larger one into what we have today and i think this is the direction, fingers crossed is heading :D I mean they did put a massive eurofighter in before Thorpe but that is not the point. The point is is that we are heading in the right direction and hopefully we will have a 2014 investment too :)

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Oakwood makes me feel a bit depressed. Isn't the 'station' for Speed LITERALLY a B&Q shed?

I can just imagine the '4 million' being put on the company credit card at Shed World or something.

I would have been much happier to read the money was being spent on tidying the park up and making the best of the attractions they have. Cleaning, fixing, painting. When I last visited we had to wade through a HUGE puddle (almost a pond) to get through the Megaphobia queue.

Coasters are nice but a less mortifyingly embarrassing family fun park would be preferable in my opinion. A few rides, shows, games, etc. Just a more pleasant environment to spend the day in. None of this trying to be something it really isn't. It makes me cringe :(

EC!
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 pm

That is what they are doing this year. I don't think the Speed Shed will be going anytime soon though

Mckillmore
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 pm

http://youtu.be/UimNkWbmzuI

As it happens I remember Nutty Jakes goldmine with great fondness. I remember buying a little jar of fools gold with my pocket money. But that was a long time ago and now I am old and bitter as you can see.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:20 pm

For the last 2 years there excuse for not opening any new attractions have been because they were tidying up the park. To be fair I have noticed some improvements like last year the main shop/restaurant had been painted and spruced up plus there were lots of new signs added around the park plus Hydro got re branded as "Drenched" and painted.

On as side note hope they sort Hydro/Drenched changing rooms out! On our last visit it was full of pigeons and there was so much sh*t over the floor we decided to get changed outside!

Bullet Hell the park's managers have already said they want to sort Speed out but there getting problems getting the funding from Aspro  :cry:. They said they wanted to add theming and sort out the station, But that was over a year ago.
ThrillJunkieUK

peter.watkins.12
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I would have liked to have seen the money being spent on a runaway mine train instead of a logflume. They already have drenched which is very simular, plus two other water rides so no need. Also like to see some sort of tea cups added to get more family rides with small height restrictions. At the moment the park either caters for adults with the coasters or the small children but nothing that all the family can ride.

Mckillmore
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:40 pm

peter.watkins.12 wrote:
I would have liked to have seen the money being spent on a runaway mine train instead of a logflume. They already have drenched which is very simular, plus two other water rides so no need.

Also, given the location of Oakwood, you could probably class Speed, Megafobia and treetops as water rides. A mine ride would be great as it would be a blessed chance to get out of the constant rain.

Bullet Hell wrote:
Oakwood makes me feel a bit depressed. Isn't the 'station' for Speed LITERALLY a B&Q shed?

Probably homebase or wickes? B&Q is a bit expensive for Oakwood.

Mallard51
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 am

Dear Me! Some people do like to pick holes a lot don't they...  ;)

I think we should just be all grateful that Oakwood is having a investment, besides its better than nothing!  :)

coastercrazy18
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:36 am

So are there any rides planned for 2013? I know it wont be this year but i do hope that they make another rollercoaster or big ride soin because i have heard some people saying there arnt enough, but i dont know i havent really been there my self. I think i should go there one day as i am welsh lol  :lol:
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D

EC!
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 am

coastercrazy when you say rides do you mean roller coasters, because there is a junior roller coaster being installed and a 40 ft tall log flume , look on their website it will give you more info.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 pm

coastercrazy18 wrote:
So are there any rides planned for 2013? I know it wont be this year but i do hope that they make another rollercoaster or big ride soin because i have heard some people saying there arnt enough, but i dont know i havent really been there my self. I think i should go there one day as i am welsh lol  :lol:

You can't really say they need bigger rides like coasters or thrill rides if you haven't even been to the park before.

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 pm

As you were... 8)

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Sam198 wrote:

As you were... 8)

Whats this Sam?

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:43 pm

It looks like the flume coming out the building.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 pm

This is indeed the log flume from Camelot that's been relocated to Oakwood. Looks like it's been given a paint job and a bit of care as it was looking quite run down last season at Camelot. The station will be on the closest part to the camera (If you look closely it's slightly lower than the rest). I'm guessing the markers on the floor in front will be part of the queue line.

I do like the idea of putting the lift hill indoors but it seems a bit pointless. The ride literally turns around and heads up the lift hill so there's not much opportunity for much inside. Would I be right in saying this is the back of the building that was once the kid's soft play area?

Looks like Oakwood have released some more photo's

Although the above photo looks to be situated on the land that was home to "Plane Crazy" the park has confirmed the ride has not left Oakwood. Therefore has this ride been moved to another location? Possibly within the new area? If you look on the floor just in front the clown coaster you can clearly see "Plane Crazy's" original foundations.

Last edited by ThrillJunkie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThrillJunkieUK

JamesP
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

I was wondering whether they were using plane crazy's plot as a temporary home for some of the kids rides during the first part of the season, whilst the rest of that area is being developed. It is one of the few flat surfaced areas on park for such a use. In the meanwhile they are taking the opportunity to refurb plane crazy, which has looked a bit faded over the last few years. Then it will be reinstated in Summer when the new area nears completion. Just a guess though!

I'd love to see a plan for all the developments, they seem to take up a large area; parts of kidzworld / playtown, former lost kingdom building for the log flume and that new 'go cart' track is situated between waterfall and plane crazy by the look of it.

JamesP
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Or not...

I wonder where Plane Crazy will be going then?  Obviously the new area is likely as building work is going on there anyway.  Alternatively, I have always thought that down by the pirate ship would be quite good; there is a large area of grass alongside Snake River Fall / next to the Pirate Ship which is currently partially occupied by the goal striker.  It backs on to an area of woodland that would be quite a good backdrop as you are flying through the air on Plane Crazy!