UK theme parks from another point of view!

Bleek
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Parks in Southern England

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Just wanted to vent my frustration at the lack of 'decent' parks in southern England at the moment. As far as im aware there is only Thorpe Park and Chessington.

Chessington doesnt really float my boat these days as im a bit of a thrill seeker, but i like my thrills to have theming too. Despite my love of theme parks i have only been to Thorpe, Chessington and Alton... so far.

It seems those of you in the north of England are a bit spoilt with Alton, Blackpool, Flamingoland, Drayton Manor and im sure there are others too. The closest of these parks to me is Alton and this is a 4 hour drive, maybe im being lazy?

It seems to me there is a market for more investment in an existing park/new park in the South, maybe the South Coast?

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Parks in Southern England

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:03 pm

My immediate reaction was "That can't be right"

But it seems that it is.

The only rides I can see that would remotely appeal to a thrill seeker are Rage at Adventure Island and possibly Enigma and Wipeout at Pleasurewood Hills.

And you omitted Lightwater Valley - how could you? :lol:

Bleek
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:11 pm

My apologies , and again please correct me if im wrong...

It is my understanding there are other outstanding rides in the the UK which should be tried... such as Megaphobia, however a park needs more to it for me to justify the 4 hour road trip really.

I think the start up costs of a new park would be too high for us to ever see one in the south, unless perhaps it had International/European appeal... surely 'near' london is the ideal place?

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Try living in the Scottish Highlands and being into theme parks :wink:
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

DiogoJ42

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Well, as a Londoner, almost everything is 'up north' to me! But seriously, there must be more parks in the south, surely?
There's TP / CWoA / Legoland for a start, right on my doorstep. Then there's Paultons and Southend. Technically, you could argue that Oakwood is south... although west is more accurate.

Where do you draw the line across the middle of the UK? I count places like Alton, DMP, Great Yarmouth (3 parks in the area) and Skegness (2 parks in the area) as 'up north'. But ask someone from Darlington, and they'll tell you these places are in the south! They would probably say Alton is too! :P

That's 13 parks so far, not counting small beach-side fun fairs. The 'far north' has BPB, LWV, FL... Then what? M&Ds? :?

I think that before this debate can go on, we need to clearly define the border between north and south! :P

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
I think that before this debate can go on, we need to clearly define the border between north and south! :P

That's a debate that has already been running for more years than I care to remember. :shrug:

And that's without even considering the concept of the Midlands! (Scotland and Wales are different Countries)

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:02 pm

"Bleek" wrote:
Chessington doesnt really float my boat these days as im a bit of a thrill seeker, but i like my thrills to have theming too.

What that essentially boils down to is "I don't live as close to Alton Towers as I'd like". Well, join the club!

If you want thrills and theme, move to Florida! Because beyond Alton Towers, no other UK parks really cut the mustard in both categories.

I'd give my left leg to live within daytripping distance of any sub-standard UK theme park. Even Drayton Manor for god's sake! You kids don't know how lucky you are. I use up every last bit of my work annual leave arranging trips to far flung theme parks! So only having Thorpe and Chessie nearby... I find it hard to sympathise :roll:
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Bleek
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I don't want this topic to turn into another north/south debate, i think distance from london is a reasonable measure.

As far as 'Thrill' Parks go Thorpe is the only one within a reasonable distance (my definition of reasonable is 4 hours travel/driving in one day i.e. 2 hours there and 2 hours back.

I haven't been to the likes of PortAventura but it seems to me that thorpe cant be held in that sort of regards. If only it had been Disney Land London instead of Paris.

---- Post Info Added ----

Perhaps i'm being greedy, maybe what i should be dreaming for is an expansion to Thorpe and some focus on theming, rather than trying to cram as much as possible onto a small island.

DiogoJ42

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:07 pm

"Bleek" wrote:
If only it had been Disney Land London instead of Paris.

You know, by train it's quicker to get to DLRP than most of the UK for me! :P
What does that say about the state of our railways? :?

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:36 pm

"DiogoJ42""][quote=""Bleek" wrote:
If only it had been Disney Land London instead of Paris.

You know, by train it's quicker to get to DLRP than most of the UK for me! :P
What does that say about the state of our railways? :?[/quote]

It actually says that when the French wanted the Disney park they went to extreme lengths to get it. A guy I used to work with (who was pretty well up on such things) said that there were much more suitable areas in Spain for Eurodisney (as it was then) and that the French must have offered a lot of inducements to Disney.

That's not to detract from your main point though - DLP is very easy to access via Eurostar. Well from London it is - I'd have to get to London first...

But then again - does DLP really appeal to the thrill seeker?

NeilHD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:45 pm

North/South is easy to define: Anything above the M25 is the Midlands and anything above Birmingham is The North. 8)

I live in London and count myself as extremely lucky on the park front. Chessington is 25 minutes, Thorpe about 40 and Legoland about 50 minutes away. Plus all the other Merlin attractions I can use with my Merlin pass (even if I haven't as yet).

And of course DLRP but that's a tad far for a day-trip really. Although I did drive there last year - total trip was about 4 1/2 hours. That's home-to-train-train-to-Calais-drive to Paris. That's not a lot longer than it took me to drive to Alton Towers!

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:12 pm

"NeilHD" wrote:
North/South is easy to define: Anything above the M25 is the Midlands and anything above Birmingham is The North. 8)

I'm sure you are confusing two concepts there ;)

Anything inside the M25 is London and anything outside it isn't - and the M25 serves to keep the 2 apart :lol:

Ask a Yorkshireman, and you'll be told that anything south of Sheffield is the south (I don't think the concept of the Midlands is really understood at all :P )

None of which really helps the original poster.

Chez2012
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I also count myself lucky (I live in Chessington) and its easy to get to CWOA (free local resident tickets), Thorpe Park, LEGOLAND Widsor and Paultons, but there is a lack of theme parks in the South West of England compared to the South East. And I always could have seen a park near Cambridge (because there is none?) Anyone agree?

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:33 pm

where would you put a new park

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:37 pm

"hell lepard" wrote:
where would you put a new park

Why, the green belt of course! :mrgreen: