UK theme parks from another point of view!

Out of theses 3 coasters which do u think will be removed first and why?

Nemesis Alton Towers
3 (3%)
Pepsi Max Big One Blackpool Pleasure Beach
12 (14%)
Shockwave Drayton Manor Park
72 (83%)

Total votes: 87

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Which of the 1994 coasters will be removed first?

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:49 pm

As many know all 3 of these were built in 1994 but all 3 are major rides for each of the parks. But which will be removed first?

Nemesis: Was voted the parks greatest coaster and from it Nemesis Inferno was built at Thorpe Park and last year Sub Terra opened to make the nemesis brand as strong as ever.

The Big One:The park have spent a lot of money repainting the supports and replacing sections of track each year. They also had new shells made for the trains. It hard to say when it is removed what will replace it.

Shockwave like the Big One has had it's station building painted and the trains painted Red and blue with the track been Blue. Colin told us that the day Shockwave will be moved the rapids will be as well as the rapids were built that way knowing that Shockwave was opening the following season and no other coaster foot print would suit the rapids layout.

So which do you think will go first and why?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Which do u think will be removed first?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:22 pm

It's really hard to say. I cant see nemmie going within the next ten years, with that information about shockwave i dont think it will be going anywhere soon as the rapids pulls in a lot of numbers however shockwave waiting time is 15 mins max in main season. Big one is a Blackpool landmark in a way, its an iconic structure which is recognised as a big part of the golden mile however if I did have to choose one it would be shockwave or big one, both parks wont really be able to afford a big replacement ride especially pleasure beach who had to take out a loan for wallace and gromit.... really hard to say!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am

I voted Pepsi as I've heard rumours of the bigger one?
Which would consist of a higher first drop?

rollercoastersmi
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Shockwave. Even though I personally love it, Drayton is going down the family route & as has been said the queues during the main season never get too long.

I don't think The Big One will be removed first because it is still a huge draw for people attending Pleasure Beach.

I can't see Nemesis being removed... ever!

Danny

Re: Which of the 1994 coasters will be removed first?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 pm

It's a tough call. I'd say Shockwave, but it's more of a flagship ride to Drayton than Nemesis is to Towers, and PMBO is also more of a flagship ride for BPB than Nemesis is for Towers. At the end of the day, Drayton will still need a thrill coaster, but they need something more than Shockwave.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 am

I'd put my money on Shockwave at Drayton.

As said before even during high season it's struggling to draw people in, It sit's on a large piece of land and to my knowledge there's not much land left that Drayton can build large rides on.

Thrillmad the rumor about "The Bigger One" has been circling for years now, they surfaced back in Blackpool's prime when the park was making money. I didn't think this would happen back then but knowing the company's current financial state there's just no way this could go ahead.
ThrillJunkieUK

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 am

I just voted for the one that should be removed the Big one Blackpool it is very old fashioned nemmesis speaks for itself amazing its not just a rollercoaster its a piece of art and shockwave is one of the only stand ups in the country as far as I know :D

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:37 pm

I vote Shockwave; although PMBO close behind.

Although Drayton recently repainted Shockwave, I can't see it being at the park for too much longer, a guess around 5 years. PMBO is a fantastic coaster, but I would think it will end up rattling its self to breaking point over the coming years, meaning it will need extensive work, reconstruction or removal. As for Nemesis, she really is a golden oldie that I would guess has another 8-10 years left. Extensive track work will be needed and I'm sure at some point they'll need to check out the support mounts and footers, some aren't looking great; but I can't imagine she'll be off any time soon :)

andy86
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Shockwave IMO because Drayton Manor isn't as much of a pivotal park as the others. That said though, BPB aren't exactly rolling in cash. It's only large theme park operators that will come out on top. I can personally see BPB selling themselves to another company within 10 years.

jimm123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 pm

i vote shockwave, its boring now. Fair enough its one of the only stand ups in the country i think, but its too tame compared to the likes of nemesis and pepsi max.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 pm

I, like most people, voted Shockwave partly because most of the public find it boring and outdated compared with some of the other coasters that have built in the UK since, also because this seems to be the direction that Drayton Manor are moving away from. They have definitely found their niche in the family friendly market. Thomas Land and Ben 10 have done wonders for them and I think that any new coasters, even if thrill rides, will have a family element to them and a lower height restriction to match, think Spinball, Cobra, etc.... this is the sort of major coaster I can see Drayton installing. Shockwave just doen't meet Drayton's new image.

The next to go, believe it or not, I think will be Nemesis. It wont go any time soon as it's loved by the public, but with more and more thrill coasters being added, it's popularity will eventually lessen and unfortunately Merlin are the sort of company that believe every ride to have a shelf life.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach are all about restoring and preserving old rides and The Big One is a massive icon, not just of the Pleasure Beach, but of Blackpool itself. It's sure to stay there for a long time.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 04, 2013 10:15 am

Shockwave won't be going anywhere for years and years. Why? Because the ride was only approved by the local council due to a miscalculation on the planning documents; Drayton would never be allowed to build a coaster of those proportions again. Shockwave is still the only stand up coaster in the world to feature a Zero G roll - that is still a big marketing factor really.

PMBO will probably be the first of the 1994 coasters to go. It was only a matter of time before the height and speed factor were broken, and when that happens, you're left with a lemon.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

SpecyBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
Shockwave won't be going anywhere for years and years. Why? Because the ride was only approved by the local council due to a miscalculation on the planning documents; Drayton would never be allowed to build a coaster of those proportions again. Shockwave is still the only stand up coaster in the world to feature a Zero G roll - that is still a big marketing factor really.

PMBO will probably be the first of the 1994 coasters to go. It was only a matter of time before the height and speed factor were broken, and when that happens, you're left with a lemon.

But with Englands many restrictions, i think it may always stand out as the 'Big One', plus i cannot imagine Blackpool without it its iconic and looks perfect next to the tower miles away ;)
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

lindsay.j.chant
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 05, 2013 1:40 am

SpecyBeast wrote:
Don't_Look_Down wrote:

But with Englands many restrictions, i think it may always stand out as the 'Big One', plus i cannot imagine Blackpool without it its iconic and looks perfect next to the tower miles away ;)

Also a great way to keep the kids in the car quiet for most of the journey "First one to spot the Tower and the Big One gets £1" And if you're like my Dad, you start the contest as soon as you reach the M56 (we were heading from Manchester).  ;)
Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them, so that those who follow us may share in our triumphs.

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Those three rides are more or less flagships so it is difficult to say.

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Shockwave would go first, No one cares for Shockwave in comparison to Nemesis or The Big One. The Big One I can see staying until they decide to build a bigger version of it, and Nemesis will in my Opinion keep going and will continue to operate until it no longer can.