UK theme parks from another point of view!

Which is better: Flamingo Land or Drayton Manor?

Flamingo Land
6 (38%)
Drayton Manor
10 (63%)

Total votes: 16

PhoenixStudios
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Flamingo Land VS Drayton Manor?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 am

Something that I've just realised which I am amazed I haven't ages ago, is how similar Flamingo Land & Drayton are.

They both have thrill rides for the adrenaline seekers (but they're not 'Alton-Towers-blow-your-mind' amazing ones), they both have areas dedicated to families and kids (Thomas Land, Dino-Stone Park), and they both have zoos.

Hotels as well now I think about it.

Do you have any particular preference for either park?

Personally I'm more geared towards Flamingo Land. They've made fantastic developments in the past few years, and at the same time they're trying to please both audiences (opening the Zamperla 'Volare' Hero & Dino-St., while Drayton put most of their effort into Thomas Land). Even though FL's rides are mostly off-the-shelf designs, they're better at theming their rides to make them unique to themselves, rather than the same as everyone else's.
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Flamingo Land VS Drayton Manor?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:02 am

...While Drayton's rides are actually unique? ;)

In all seriousness, I do have something of a soft spot for DMP. It gets a lot of hate from enthusiast circles, but I honestly find it offers a truly enjoyable day out. Just because its target audience doesn't quite match up to our demographic, doesn't mean we shouldn't appreciate it for what it is; a pretty little park with an all-round pleasant family atmosphere, decent flat collection and two unique coasters (disregarding حلم كوستر...).

That said, given the choice, I would rather spend a day at FL. :P
Last edited by Sam198 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixStudios
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Apart from the queue lines for the Big 2 at DMP.... Especially Shockwave.

I see where you're coming from though. ;)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Hasn't Flamingo land got old Drayton Manor rides?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 am

Drayton Manor.

Overall Flamingo Land is probably a better quality park than Drayton Manor, which looks alot more tired. Flamingo Land however is let down by its horrifically bad staff who have literally ruined my day on more than one visit. It's amazing how that can make such a big difference to your day. The amount of complaints they must recieve about their staff must be huge.

PhoenixStudios
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:59 am

Flamingo Land need to follow in Alton's footsteps staff-wise, I.e. make it very Disney.

The people at the shops asking you how your day has been / is going, "have you just been on Kumali / Hero, (etc.)?" Get a mini conversation going with the customers.

Even the nicest people say that FL has 'alright' or 'mediocre' staff.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:19 am

PhoenixStudios wrote:
Apart from the queue lines for the Big 2 at DMP.... Especially Shockwave.

I see where you're coming from though. ;)

When I go to DMP in peak times shockwave is always nearly walk on and i never have to wait more than 10mins, the oly queues in the park to watch out for is G force and storm force 10 as they're nearly always an hour, and then then next biggest are Ben 10 and the rapids. Its not in the scale of Thorpe or Alton though....

I've only been to FL once as a youngun but looking at it now, I'd say I do prefer Drayton manor. Its the special unique gems such as the haunting that do it for me. Although I think there is a lot to be improved on like the appearance of the park, I like Sam have a soft spot for DMP.