UK theme parks from another point of view!

evil cod

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:44 am

Thou even if they did install it... its not a coaster.

DomB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm

exactly, basically it's just a drag racer.

looks like nurburgring will still get the fastest :]

Nick

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:26 pm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tFInfu49k ... re=related

Thats a video of what it will be. Thats the current one located at Fun Spot in Orlando.

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:30 pm

Any idea on the speed of accelleration?

Also can this even be classed as a coaster? as i cant find the other one on RCDB or anything... so :? i dont know.

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

DomB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:39 pm

0-100 in 2 seconds! :D

Nick

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:44 pm

Nah its not classed as a coaster Mankey

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Didn't think it would be... Doesnt seem like my kind of ride mind you :lol:

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Lon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:59 am

"Lon" wrote:
?

For the life of me, I cannot work out why piers seem to have a habit of catching fire, is there some phenomenon that makes them spontaneously combust?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 605562.stm

:P

Crofty

Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:30 pm

"Lon""][quote=""Lon" wrote:
?

For the life of me, I cannot work out why piers seem to have a habit of catching fire, is there some phenomenon that makes them spontaneously combust?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 605562.stm

:P[/quote]

I believe that fire was started specifically to promote this topic :P

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

The Grand Pier, Weston-Super-Mare

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 am

We all remember the tragic fire that took hold of the Grand Pier last July but slowly details are starting to come forwards of the new pier and its looking rather promising.

The original pier was never much of a fun fair than an arcade with attractions that used to include a Ghost Train, Fun House, Balloon Wheel, Dodgems and even Go Karts.

But the new plans are looking very interesting and could be something to keep an eye out on. Although these plans have not yet been given the go ahead the current new attractions could include:

- A 60 Foot Hight Indoor Assault Course (running along the ceiling of the new pavilion)
- Robocoaster (2 seater version)
- Spinning Surf Board Ride (similar but a lot smaller to the Edge at paultons park)
-300mph Drag race Simulator
- 4D Cinema
- 85m High Viewing Tower

All this is to be built and running for summer 2010.

So what do you think? Good or Bad?
ThrillJunkieUK

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Grand Pier, Weston-Super-Mare

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 pm

As I live quite close to Weston Super-Mare I would absoloutley love all this top happen. Doubt it will though & we'll just end up with a second Brighton pier. :P

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Grand Pier, Weston-Super-Mare

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:22 pm

I also live close to weston (infact my office over looks the pier :))

I think there is an extremely good chance of this happening as the owners seem to be quite close with the council plus i think they realise how important it is for weston to get its main attraction back.

We will see on the 12th of March if planing gets approved or not.
ThrillJunkieUK

Craig

Re: Weston Super Mare Pier Fire

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Merged with existing pier topic :D

Crofty

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:13 am

Sounds really good, nothing to make a long trip for but if your holidaying in the area then it does add something extra to your visit.
I can't see it really being a problem with the council. The pier makes Weston, without it the Town wouldn't have a lot on offer.

It looks like some of the rides are still left on the end of the pier!? Seems obvious really but i'd never expected them to be left there as they were before the fire.

:D :D

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:45 am

I just really hope the planning gets apporved. It would be silly of them-not to, esspecally in these hard times, it could be the only major source of income Weston-Super Mare could get. :)

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:09 pm

From what I hear, the locals are very fussy when it comes to the aesthetic design of any proposed seafront projects....

The Tropicana, just down the promenade, has had numerous designs for its redevelopment (Proposed large cinema and entertainment complex being the most popular....) over the past 5-10 years but nothing has been done largely because local residents, and the council, don't like the exterior design....

Somehow, I very much doubt we'll see half of that stuff actually materialise, especially by 2010....

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:53 am

"Crofty" wrote:
It looks like some of the rides are still left on the end of the pier!? Seems obvious really but i'd never expected them to be left there as they were before the fire.

These rides were removed about 2 weeks ago. They remained on the pier for so long as they were unable to get any kind of transport to the back of the pier to remove them as the walkways had fallen through with the heat of the fire.

From what I hear, the locals are very fussy when it comes to the aesthetic design of any proposed seafront projects....

You are correct in saying that the locals (the older folk) are extremely fussy. When it comes to the tropicana you must remember it is located facing towards several retirement homes. The are a few other projects going on along the seafront that should highlight this including the big wheel they want on the beach lawns this summer.

Admin - Thanks for merging topics didn't see this one :oops:
ThrillJunkieUK

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:10 pm

This looks like a good place to put this...

I've been help an older chap to hunt down a missing coaster. He remembers riding a wooden figure 8 coaster INSIDE the pavilion on WSM pier. However, there isn't a reference to it anywhere, or and photos of it.

At first, I wrote it off as him just getting mixed up, but there are a few more people who have contacted him and said it was there.

Nobody knows about this coaster (on the net), not even sites dedicated to listing every wooden coaster ever in the UK.

If anyone has any details (maybe parents who have photos in the loft or something), can you post them here please:
[url=http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/cs/forums/1579637/ShowPost.aspx" target="_blank]http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/cs/fo ... wPost.aspx[/url]

It's been a bit of a mystery so far - good information and pictures would be much appreciated :)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Very interesting.

This was way way before by time but my reading your thread on the mercury forum i'm now hooked on the idea.

After abit of searching i have found some (not much) evidence of the figure of eight coaster.

[url=http://www.rcdb.com/pd1485.htm" target="_blank]http://www.rcdb.com/pd1485.htm[/url]
Grand Pier is believed to have had some sort of enclosed wooden roller coaster in the 1960s.

Not much but its something.
ThrillJunkieUK

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 am

Yep, that's the only bit of evidence written down in an obvious place on the net.

I've come across a couple of other very vague references set down as comments on pages about Weston, but they're probably what the RCDB information is based on.

So nothing, yet it was there for the best part of twenty years!
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here