UK theme parks from another point of view!

What is your favourite Merlin attraction in the UK? And why?

Alton Towers
16 (57%)
Thorpe Park
6 (21%)
Chessington World of Adventures
3 (11%)
Legoland
No votes
Sea Life
No votes
The Dungeons
2 (7%)
Madame Tussaud's
No votes
Blackpool Tower
No votes
London Eye
No votes
Warwick Castle
No votes
Other
1 (4%)

Total votes: 28

richdirk123
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Which 'Merlin' attractions do you 'follow'?

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 pm

When I say this, I'm asking, which parks do you spend alot of time finding out about and finding out about it's future?

I'm following:

THORPE PARK
Chessington World of Adventures
Alton Towers Resort

Those are the only I've ever visited apart from SEA LIFE in Brighton and London Eye.

Peaches_Laroo
TT Member
TT Member

London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm going to London in a couple of weeks and my partner and I would like to visit one of these attractions (we can't do both as we don't have the time). Which is the better of the two, which would you recommend and why?

Thanks! :D :D :D
Last edited by Peaches_Laroo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds????

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Well to be honest after doing both attractions multiple times in my time, I would say that neither of them will fill you with great joy, they are mainly overpriced attractions, however if you have never done either before, I would suggest the Dungeons, providing you have not done anything similar too it before, because all the dungeons are basicly the same, and its a lot more fun than the madame tussauds, however the dungeons will only last 90 minutes, whereas Tussuads you can spend all day in (if you really wanted too, not that you would!)
Basicly the tussauds is jam packed full of tourists, its like a standing room only concert, and bodies are going everywhere, so I would recommend the Blackpool Tussuads, however not the London one...So I say do the dungeons, on personal choice, however whenever I go, I don't care for either that much, however I will do one of them, depending on where I am in London at the time!
Also bear in mind though, that the Dungeons you get fastrack/priority entrance as well as Madame tussauds, however it will still probably take an hour to get into the dungeons, but only a few minutes for tussuads! So basicly it all depends on your position and timing!

But as I say, the dungeons it probably a better deal, overall! Hope that helps! Sorry if I am a little confusing in my reasoning!

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:34 pm

The London versions of both Tussauds and Dungeons are the best you are likely to find. You really need to do both of them.  However, in my personal opinion I find the Dungeons far more entertaining than walking around a bunch of wax figures.

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Do them both in the same day - it's perfectly doable and you can get a good priced ticket. 

Tussuads offers a lot more than you think; it's more than just dummies in a room and The Dungeons is a good laugh... if you get them on good days! I'd hate to be at Tussuads in the summer peak time.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Saz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:35 pm

If I were you I would choose the Dungeons. Whenever I go to Madame Tussauds it's very crowded meaning it's hard to appreciate any of the wax figures, and unless you plan on posing with the various figures and have your photo taken it's a pretty pointless day out in all honesty. The Dungeons is a more interactive attraction, plus there are a few great indoor rides such as Extremis and Vengeance 5D. Also, the Dungeons is moving location at the end of the year so it would be worthwhile visiting the attraction in all its current glory.  :)
Yes it's a floating hedgehog.

Peaches_Laroo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for all of your opinions guys! :D I've had a bit of a look around both attraction websites in a little bit more detail and the Dungeon does look a little bit more involving and interesting. I guess we're going to the Dungeon (would love to do both but don't have the time as we're only in London for a limited amount of time).

Thanks again! :D :D

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Tussauds has the Spirit of London ride though, and the Marvel 4D is pretty decent as well...

But it is all about Spirit of London <3

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Just remember the queue that will likely be about an hour in the priority entrance queue (with an annual pass) if not the main queue will be about 2 hours, if you are going on a half busy day, if your going on a busy day expect 3-4 hours, in the heat of summer!!

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:20 am

jackgcse wrote:
Just remember the queue that will likely be about an hour in the priority entrance queue (with an annual pass) if not the main queue will be about 2 hours, if you are going on a half busy day, if your going on a busy day expect 3-4 hours, in the heat of summer!!

Are you saying that if you have an annual pass you can go in the Priority Queue?

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 am

Yeah you do have priority, you don't join the normal queue, but the pre-booked and priority queue, which is usually about 60-90 minutes queue whereas the normal is around 3 hours, during a peak time! So yeah, I think the priority queue is closest to the underground, however do ask the staff because it will save you a heapp of time! Plus at Madame tussauds, sometimes you are allowed in entrance no.5 which is groups entrance which gets you straight inside, otherwise they willl make you join a confusing queue with a fusion of pre-booked, paying guests, and annual passes, however you do technically get faster entry, aswell as the London eye, sort of!

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 pm

The door nearest the tube is most def the pass entrance!
Last edited by HFantasma on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:51 pm

I say that because they changed which entrance normal entered from, because the London Tombs were stealing all the Dungeons business with the Dungeons queue!

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Yeah, sneaky! My workmate used to work on the outside que lines at Dungeons, she said they were a nightmare with poaching guests with discounts! One of them tried to snag me outside the station until I told him I work for Merlin and he shot off in the other direction! :lol:
Least they won't get that hassle when they move!
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:38 am

hahahaha! I remember them never stopping, because the guillotine wasn't enough advetisment! LOL!
It makes sense, however the main queue now no longer go through the main entrance, and inside queueline!!

Ronnopm94
TT Member
TT Member

Favourite Merlin Attraction?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:23 pm

What attraction do you enjoy the most based on overall enjoyment, interest, rides/experience etc?

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Favourite Merlin Attraction?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Has to be Alton Towers for me! :D

Ronnopm94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:28 pm

I admit that it was Avery difficult decision for me xD thank god for the annual pass! I chose the dungeons as the original London , edinburgh and York dungeons hold a large amount of nostalgia for me :)

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 pm

thorpe park because its my wifey

Credit to NemesisRider

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm

I love the way Chessington is winning :P
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.