UK theme parks from another point of view!

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Re: PortAventura 2012: "Shambhala" B&M Mega Coaster

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:32 am

I haven't been on it (went just before construction started) but it's a fairly massive coaster. Dragon Khan was already pretty tall and this is even bigger.

Only you'll know if it's too much for you but if you need to ask in the first place, I'd guess the answer would be yes. From what I understand it's a very smooth experience that takes out a bit of the intensity though.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm

SamSimkin wrote:
Ok, so I'm going to Barcelona with school, do you think that I should go on this? Is it a good experince? Scary? Thanks

Yes go on it. What an odd question.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm

just a quick question, what do you think the queues will be like mid july?

liamsuxx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:46 pm

I've been on shambhala twice, one time front row. It's unforgettable.

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:50 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
just a quick question, what do you think the queues will be like mid july?

This is mid Spain school holidays,so expect it to be busy.

SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Really looking forward to returning to PA later in the year and having a (hopefully) front seat for Shambhala. Can anyone tell me whether there is a specific front seat riders queue or whether it's random allocation?

Dragon Khan was excellent last time I went (September) and the park was very quiet. The most I queued all day was 20 minutes.

Agree with another user in that the water-park is great fun (and updated for 2013 with tallest drop slide in Europe). Still won't be as good as Typhoon Lagoon though which, for me, ranks in at #1 in the world for water-parks.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure

Soruen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 pm

An issue with shambhala occurred recently. The train stopped mid way through the course of the track (just after the "&" turnaround)
They dis-assembled the cars and placed them next to the track:

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:47 pm

That better be ready for me when I go in May!!! I missed it last year because they didn't say it would not be open until Summer 2012!!!! Grr! LOL

jackcullen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 pm

That happened a few months back now when it was really windy.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 am

Does make you wonder about their safety record, what with Tutuki splash having a car/boat derail and get crashed into by the following one. Bad for two reasons: heavily front loading the car and not noticing the derailment and pressing the emergency stop.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 pm

abigsmurf wrote:
Does make you wonder about their safety record, what with Tutuki splash having a car/boat derail and get crashed into by the following one. Bad for two reasons: heavily front loading the car and not noticing the derailment and pressing the emergency stop.

That one is questionable yes, but the Shambhala one above is totally not there fault.

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

PortAventura 2012: "Shambhala" B&M Mega Coaster

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 am

^ and it happened ages ago!

That said, it is an amazing ride and park...I just wish the staff would smile more.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Chaz wrote:
^ and it happened ages ago!

That said, it is an amazing ride and park...I just wish the staff would smile more.

The Tutuki Splash one didn't happen that long ago - Think it was last year. The Shambhala one happened this year, but as already stated that one was completely out of their hands.

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Any idea what caused it?

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:30 am

spark wrote:
Any idea what caused it?

No sure which incident you mean so will explain both.

Tutuki Splash - You can watch the incident here - Click!

I believe what caused it was due to all the weight loaded from the back, forward, meaning all rows were full except the front two (you can see it in the video) causing the front to be raised more than normal. The impact of the boat hitting the water and the weight being at the back raised the runner wheels out of the concrete channel and up on top of it. The ride should of been E-stopped but wasn't until it was too late and the car behind had already left the lift hill and came down to meet the stranded car causing a collision. At the beginning of the video you can see the car behind just near the top about 5-10 seconds from the top and by the time the operator noticed, it was longer than that 5-10 seconds unfortunately.

Shambhala

The train not making it around the course was due to the high winds over the area when the park were testing it in the morning before opening. The train made it off the lift hill, over the first airtime hill then around the '&' turn over the small airtime hill but not over the next airtime hill which caused it to roll back and forward eventually coming to a stop just after the '&' element and before the small airtime hill as can be seen in the picture below:

Philnortheast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Just went to port aventura today, gotta say it was one of the best theme park experiences I've had!

The park is immaculate with top notch theming. Shambhala is probably one of the best if not the best rollercoaster I've been on - very impressed. Other rides in th park were also really good.

Top it all of with a maximum queue time of 25 mins, usually only 15 we managed to get on all the big coasters twice and all the flats at a fairly leisurely pace!

Would recommend to anyone thinking of going.

Question above about front riders - there are no seperate front rider queues. A few people did wait at the front of the normal queue line until it was available- didn't cause any problems but not sure if this would be allowed on busy days.

PS furius baco is a bone rattler!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:38 am

^I was also there on that day :)

The queue system is strange. You have to ask a member of staff if you want to queue for the front, apparently. Furious Baco is the only coaster I could see with a dedicated front row system.

Absolutely beautiful park! Fine landscaping, gorgeous themeing and staff that go out of their way to help. Shambhala is like nothing else I've experienced. Awesome ride from start to finish - love that airtime <3
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

MJNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Sounds great. I'm going to Spain in October but even now I'm worried in anticipation about Shambhala because despite being mad on coasters, I'm petrified of heights! I'm going mainly to ride Dragon Khan but Shambhala looks incredible, especially the & turn.

I'm going to visit the sights of Madrid & Barcelona (my way of persuading my girlfriend to visit the Theme Parks) so I am going to hit Parque Warner too. I want to ride Superman - Ride of Steel. Will be my long awaited first ride on a B&M Floorless :).

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
...and staff that go out of their way to help.

You must be the only person I've heard say the staff are good at this park, I think they leave a lot to be desired. As others have said, it would be nice if they could smile once in a while, or maybe even speak!

However, the park really is stand-out in Spain. Beautiful park and Shambhala really is a European asset! :D

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Best ride at port aventura

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Well I know it's a ride which is hated by many member of this forum but I'd say Furius Baco, although Shambhala does come very close.

Baco wins for me because the theming is totally unique "thinking-outside-the-box" theming. They could have gone with your standard pirate, cowboy or space themes and could have themed it really well with these themes. However they decided to go for a mad monkey who disturbs an inventor who's creating a wine crushing machine, and still themed it exceptionally. The whole atmosphere of the area, the music, the ride station (ok not the queue line, it is pretty awful) is all superb and immersive.

The ride itself has probably the best and most poweful launch I have experience, love the near misses, yes it's rough as hell and i wouldn't go at the back but it's an insane ride from start to finish.

So there we go, certainly a love it or hate it coaster i think. I'll be experiencing Blue Fire for the first time this year so am intrigued to make a comparisson.