UK theme parks from another point of view!

jo_jo_1uk
TT Member
TT Member

Re: PortAventura

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:08 pm

I love Portaventura but won't be going this year :( hope you all have a fabulous time.

@ltonFreak12
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Can't wait to ride this in July! :D

Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Me too !
Gonna shoot me something endangered !  :D

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:31 pm

iBacon wrote:
craig.day.92 wrote:

So Excited Now, Visiting in May Half Term, do you think it will be open then?

This has been added to the rides page:"On 11th April begins the adventure in the Lost Kingdom From 11th April come and discover PortAventura’s new ride. A boat trip full of surprises and situations that only the bravest will be able to overcome. Do you dare to face a snake?

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:57 pm

I thought PortAventura was a beautiful park, great to walk around and enjoy, but I was a bit disappointed by their main attractions, with the exception of the excellent Shambhala. Dragon Khan, I imagine, was a great coaster in its time, but has seen better days (I came off with a trapped nerve in my back, so I might be biased though!), Stampida and Furius Baco are inexcusably rough to be headline attractions at such a big, established park.

It's a shame, because it's really nicely themed and has a great feel, but I'd find it hard to justify going back.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

rosco1982uk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:19 pm

The disappointment on my face as a 14 year old child (lonnnnng time ago) when I finally persuaded my folks to take me to FUERTAVENTURA.

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Visiting a European park is one of my goals this year, here or Europa Park, truth be told, I have no idea when is a good time to go.  I literally can go any time of the year, but when is the quietest time.

Glancing at their calendar, low season is start of September/October?

http://www.portaventura.co.uk/calendar
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Port Aventura

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:39 pm

"PortAventura Entertainment S.A.U., a subsidiary of Investindustrial, has signed a licencing agreement with Ferrari to build Ferrari Land, a new Prancing Horse theme park, inside the PortAventura resort and theme park outside Barcelona in Spain.

Ferrari Land will cover 75,000 square metres and include a variety of new and exciting attractions for Prancing Horse enthusiasts of all ages, including Europe’s highest and fastest vertical accelerator. An opportunity for the whole family to experience and discover the world of Ferrari.

More good news is that the first Ferrari-themed hotel is also to be built inside PortAventura and will be a luxury five-star establishment with 250 rooms, restaurants and a driving simulator.

The project will involve an overall investment of 100 million euro and the Ferrari theme park itself officially opens in 2016. PortAventura already welcomes 4,000,000 visitors a year, of whom 50% come from outside Spain."

Source: http://www.ferrari.com/english/about_ferrari/corporate/Pages/140312-ferrari-land-to-be-developed-in-spain.aspx

Personally I can't wait for this expansion to be built. This will put PortAventura in the contest of being the best theme park in Europe and definitely make it world renown. A project similar to this is definitely something I'd like to see at towers, obviously not on the same scale from the roller coaster point of view but a big area separate from the main park, along the lines of a downtown disney.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Port Aventura to open Ferrari Land in 2016

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 pm

May have to delay my trip to PA then :P

The Crab of Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:09 am

Great to see such a massive project at PA, weird choice tho. Another intamin accelerator (like baco) combined with height record (Shambhala) and some added drop towers (hurakan).

Glad it looks to be a separate mini park to PA as well as it doesn't really got the parks current 'feel'

Still, I do love Ferrari and the one in any dhabi looks awesome so I'm sure this'll be great!
ImageSince 2008

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:04 pm

I don't really understand why it has to be Ferrari themed and hope that this land won't have an extra fee.
However the launched coaster looks good, I'd just like to know more details about it I.e height etc;

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:11 pm

DannyG wrote:
I don't really understand why it has to be Ferrari themed and hope that this land won't have an extra fee.
However the launched coaster looks good, I'd just like to know more details about it I.e height etc;

It's a separate park partly funded by Ferrari. It's a third gate for the resort.

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member

Ferrari Land - New to Portaventura Spain

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ferrari Land - New to Portaventura Spain

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Katherine wrote:
http://spanishnewstoday.com/ferrari-land-park-to-be-built-alongside-port-aventura-in-catalunya_19613-a.html

Awkward moment when you didn't realise there was already a thread.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Looks interesting, but they're going to need more than a couple of coasters and some shops to make it worthy of a second gate.

Bag_O_Laughs
TT Member
TT Member

Hotel PortAventura Hotel Review

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Wow this post is well overdue, I started writing it then got busy. Still here it is posted and hopefully will give some personal insights to Hotel PortAventura.

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Port Aventura on July 1st 2014 for 7 nights on a half board basis. Previously in 2011 we’ve stayed in Hotel El Paso in the Port Aventura Resort for 7 nights on a fully inclusive basis and so, I warn you now, in this review there is going to be a lot of comparisons between the two.

First impressions of Hotel Port Aventura were very good, but then again after the nightmare flight and awful transfer coach, a drug den would have looked welcoming. But honestly the entrance is lovely and the reception is wonderful and very attractive. The reception staff were helpful and spoke very good English, which is great because my Spanish is not at all good (I can count to 10) and we were checked in and on our way to our rooms in a matter of minutes.

The first impressions of the ground floor, king bed room we were given was good. I really liked the style and soft furnishing of the room. It’s more my style than El Paso was, with light colours and shades of blue rather than the terracotta and yellow “Mexican” style. However upon further inspection there was a big crack in the wall behind the TV (about 1 meter in length) which had been clumsily plastered over and not re-painted. The bath tub had cracks in in too which had yellowed and the sink emptied very slowly. Still, use of the fridge and safe were free and it was clean so I was mostly happy. It was home for the week and it would do.

The hotel has its own theme park entrance which gives me a cheeky satisfaction when separating from the general park crowds to walk to my very own entrance/exit gate. The gates are situated almost opposite the main entrance. It’s a bit odd to reach the waterpark you can go through the hotel gates and out through the main gates or walk the long way round through reception.
Being so close to the theme park does mean you can hear the evening fireworks (we couldn’t hear the music in our room though) and when sitting by the pool the screams of Furious Baco riders but honestly this didn’t bother me one bit. El Paso is only a 5 minute walk to the front gates but having the entrance so close was a nice perk.

So I guess I should talk about food which was mostly good. There was a good selection which was different most nights. Breakfast was the same everyday but the selection was so vast you could change it up every day or stick to what you like, your choice. The food was pretty much El Paso in the sense it was your standard Spanish buffet affair. Good salad, grill, chilled cheese and meats and dessert selection. Vegetables were a bit over cooked but that’s all I can really say that is negative.
The pool was AMAZING. There are two pools, a smaller one (which was just outside our patio door) and a massive pool with different nooks and crannies to it. I absolutely loved that pool. Instead of being one massive expanse of water (like El Paso) it wound to & fro, around the bar and had different almost mini-pools that emanated from it. It also had a waterfall so just pool heaven for me.

Alas it wasn’t all hotel glory for Hotel Port Aventura however. There were some major negatives to the hotel. The one that irked me the most was the complete lack of entertainment. Yes the park is right there to explore but if you wanted to relax in the hotel and watch a show there were none. There are a few kiddy shows but nothing at all for the rest of the family. There is not even really a hotel bar where you can grab a couple of drinks to relax, overall the evenings where dull if you weren’t in the park.

Also the hotel in general felt “dead” there is more than one restaurant but we only ever saw two open. In walking to the main pool you pass sections of the hotel which are completely devoid of life, its very bizarre. The atmosphere was just not there, El Paso on the other hand had an amazing atmosphere. It was lively but not imposing and you could spend time in the hotel and not feel bored.
Finally I’ve already mentioned the crack on the wall in our room, what I haven’t mentioned is the cockroach we found in the bathroom. I’m pretty laid back when it comes to roaches in tropical countries as they are there but on top of the crack in the wall and staining in the bath tub a roach just wasn’t good!

If I was to go back to PortAventura I probably wouldn’t say in this hotel again, I would however stay in El Paso. Yes the pool is not as good but the evening atmosphere and entertainment more than make up for that.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Hotel PortAventura Hotel Review

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:22 pm

This is a brilliant review. We're off to El Paso for a week tomorrow, and we considered PA hotel, but it was so much more expensive! You've put my worries at rest now so thank you :)

Bag_O_Laughs
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:27 pm

No Worries,

You'll have an amazing time. Say hello to Shambala for me. Man i luurve that ride!

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Just boarding now, will do! :)

Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Yup, Shambhala really is excellent, I understand now after spending a week riding it why it's considered world class !