UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dagan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: London Eye to get a £12.5 Million Makeover

Sun May 17, 2009 8:00 pm

"Islander" wrote:
'WiFi Capabilities'? What could that mean? Surely not just installing WiFi in the capsules for customers...

So the images/videos displayed on the screens can be held on a central server on the ground. Update a single server for new videos/photos rather than a computer in each capsule.

Skumfidus

Sun May 17, 2009 8:36 pm

"Dagan""][quote=""Islander" wrote:
'WiFi Capabilities'? What could that mean? Surely not just installing WiFi in the capsules for customers...

So the images/videos displayed on the screens can be held on a central server on the ground. Update a single server for new videos/photos rather than a computer in each capsule.[/quote]

Exactly, it seems like a great idea...the speed at which the London skyline is changing at the moment, it's great to be able to update information on a regular basis!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 17, 2009 9:06 pm

"Dagan""][quote=""Islander" wrote:

So the images/videos displayed on the screens can be held on a central server on the ground. Update a single server for new videos/photos rather than a computer in each capsule.[/quote]
I guessed it'd be something like that. However, some kind of connectivity between capsules already exists - they have the announcements (though I guess those could easily be local to each capsule), CCTV and intercoms...

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Wifi may simply mean that people can access information via phones and such. Bring up a webpage with info on and all sorts.

PeteWetherby
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 17, 2009 9:42 pm

There goes part of the SW6 budget :evil:

Disclaimer: I'm joking obviously.

:D

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

The Merlin Entertainments London Eye

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Merlin has opened today a brand new 4D cinema attraction to the London Eye, buried beneath the Grade II listed County Hall. Visitors will proceed into the Europe's best 4D cinema after purchasing tickets, as a prelude to their flight on the Eye.
The film features an emotional journey of a little girl who's not tall enough to see everything and then goes on to see London like never before, through the eyes of a bird. The cinema uses state-of-the art 3D footage from last year's New Year Fireworks display which was the largest the country has seen.

http://www.londoneye.com/Static/TheNew4DExperience.htm

This development is in addition to the full refurbishment of the Eye itself, complete with new logo, which is seeing each pod being dismantled from the structure at night and floated right down the Thames to a port. They're then taken by lorry up North to be renewed and fitted with plasma screens and surround sound audio to provide an enriched and educational viewing experience in time for the London Olympics.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Entertainments London Eye

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:58 pm

Wow! I just watched the little video they have got on the site and must say that looks incredible. Snow, rain, wind...a proper good 4D experience by the looks of things! :D
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:16 pm

And with this launch has come a whole new re-brand...

"About The Re-brand" wrote:

London Eye rebrands as Merlin Entertainments

LONDON - The London Eye is being rebranded The Merlin Entertainments London Eye in a bid to promote the entertainment group's ownership of the attraction.

The London Eye has been unbranded since British Airways terminated its sponsorship in February 2008.

Merlin will be supporting the rebranding with the London Eye's first TV campaign and cross-promotional activity at Merlin's other attractions, which include Madame Tussauds and Thorpe Park.

And here is the new logo...

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:49 pm

I like the new logo. Really quite clever. :D

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 pm

I prefer the old logo - it hinted more at the shape of the London Eye itself, rather than playing on the name of it, which I'm going to guess is considerably less well known (internationally, at least).

It's also far too complex for a name and logo. And I don't like the purple, I liked the older subdued blues and greys - again, it hinted at the Eye's capsules, and a graceful "flight" above the Thames.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:54 pm

I don't particularly like the logo to be perfectly honest.

Its too complex when in a small view, and doesn't show the 'cool, simple, modern' feel that the London eye has.

Hark

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 pm

Am I right in thinking with a Merlin Pass it allows access to the 4D Cinema?

Anonymous

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 am

They will put a Mirror Maze in next.. Just to add to the Merlin feel of attractions. 8-[

Chris J
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:59 am

Egh I always disliked the "Merlin Entertainments" name, I thought they should have carried on the Tussauds name as it seemed so much more sophisticated.

"Tussauds London Eye"
"Merlin Entertainments London Eye".

Eww.

It also would have linked it to Madame Tussauds better. What's next, "Merlin Entertainments Madame Tussauds" and "Merlin Entertainments Chessington World of Adventures"??

TenZero
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:13 pm

"Chris J" wrote:
Egh I always disliked the "Merlin Entertainments" name, I thought they should have carried on the Tussauds name as it seemed so much more sophisticated.

"Tussauds London Eye"
"Merlin Entertainments London Eye".

Eww.

It also would have linked it to Madame Tussauds better. What's next, "Merlin Entertainments Madame Tussauds" and "Merlin Entertainments Chessington World of Adventures"??

The Merlin Entertainments prefix is only there because they couldn't find a suitable sponsor for the Eye. And is also to boost brand awareness for Merlin as a whole. I highly doubt it will happen at any of the other attractions.

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Here we go - Logo has been has now been properly released. There are also Amber, Green and Blue variations of the logo and backgrounds etc.

I was just looking at their branding brochure for their new re-brand and i have to say the way the incorporate the logo and the designs they use now are much much better.
Last edited by Mattia on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Dean

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 pm

"Mattia" wrote:
Here we go - Logo has been has now been properly released.

I was just looking at their branding brochure for their new re-brand and i have to say the way the incorporate the logo and the designs they use now are much much better.

Just need a new purple Merlin Pass to go with it... :P

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 pm

All we need is the required apostrophe and we're in business! :)
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 pm

^ I initially thought that but I don't think it does need one. If it was "Merlin Entertainment's London Eye" then yes or "Merlin Entertainments' London Eye" again yes. But the "the" that comes before it negates the need for one. I think. :D

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:38 am

I always think it would be better if they dropped the 'entertainments' bit.

I presume that they don't because of some copyright issue or something, but 'Merlins Alton Towers' and 'Merlins London Eye' sound better!