UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Wed May 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Cologne/Bonn is the nearest. I think Easyjet and/or Ryanair fly there. Possibly also German Wings fly there. There is also Baden Baden Airport - from London Stansted which is approx. mid-way between Europa Park and Phantasialand.

Dr Pop Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 24, 2006 2:37 pm

/ Do you know how far Baden Baden Airport is from both parks ? A few miles or is it quite far away like 100+ miles? Do you know how far the airport nearest to phantasialnd is? Sorry for being a pain. :lol:

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 24, 2006 2:39 pm

"AstroDancer" wrote:
Ride £8m
Theme £8m

That's the sort of CASH AT need to spend on their next big thing.

Well that just show's it. It's always been my view that for an excellent attraction the theme needs to be developed, thought of and worked upon just as much as the ride system itself. If Alton Towers want to be a resort they really have to go down this route - a resort is more about experiences that you can remember, rather than a thrilling day out riding some steel contraptions. The only trouble is, from what I can see, they're heading away from this route at the moment.
If I was in a management meeting now, I would propose a 50/50 budget, like the one above, for all future coasters, and with the theming bit even higher than 50% for dark rides etc.

AstroDan

Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Baden Baden Airport

Phantasialand: 190miles
Europa Park: 60miles

Nearest airport to Phantasialand is Cologne-Bonn which is 22 miles from Phantasialand (30 minutes).

Train travel between Europa Park and Phantasialand is very quick and easy.

i would say though, if you are going to go to Germany for one of the parks - you may aswell save youself another return flight and get both the beauties done.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 24, 2006 2:55 pm

Most newer B&M Coasters have had a tendency to be rather tame (with some exceptions), hence why our favourite Nemesis is still so highly regarded, Mamba certainly looks like its got the making of an intense ride, hopefully it will live up to the looks.

AstroDan

Wed May 24, 2006 3:01 pm

Apparantly the helixes at the end of Mamba are the intense moments and your legs feel 'funny'.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 24, 2006 3:06 pm

"AstroDancer" wrote:
Apparantly the helixes at the end of Mamba are the intense moments and your legs feel 'funny'.

Thats got to be a good sign in the early stages, B&M are the type which get better over time rather than worse, more than can be said for others *cough* Intamin *cough*

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Wow!, from ground level it does look absoloutely amazing! It's Disney/ Europa standard of theming and better! Alton really should take note

Diddi
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2006 7:58 pm

The nearest airports are as mentioned cologne/bonn and duesseldorf!

I just came back from the public opening event :)

Awesome coaster! It was my first ever B&M, so i have no comparison.
Some people say it's better than Nemesis, others say it's not as good as Nemmy, but everyone agrees that it's a agreat coaster overall!

I like the far left seat in the last row the most, the forces are crazy in that seat.

And i think you won't get bored while queing, the queue is right in the centre of the action. The train flys by above, underneath and beside you all the time thus you have a great view of the coaster and a lot of good opportunities to take some pictures.

The station is also absolutely great looking! You can see a good picture of it in THIS german review (along with other great pictures).

Btw, a good onride video is coming in the next days, stay tuned ;)
And a very short offride clip (3mb, first drop and a helix can be seen HERE )

*edit*
yarrrr.
another nice offride video
Image <---->Image

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 27, 2006 7:50 am

This ride looks amazing don't get me wrong but in my opinion i don't like some of the theming, it all looks fake and the little bits that are added like the pots and all the skulls and stuff that just make it look cluttered and how long are they going to last until either they weather and start to look really really bad or vandalised?
:D

AstroDan

Sun May 28, 2006 1:09 pm

My Black Mamba opinion from an outside view

Now, I haven't ridden Black Mamba - nor seen it in the flesh. Sadly, that will have to wait until 2007 at the earliest. But having seen the off-ride and on-ride photo's, here are my thoughts :D

Having followed the construction of Black Mamba, it is without doubt the most important rollercoaster in Europe since 2002's Air and Colossus. The planning, budget and leg-pulling that went into this ride appear to be first-rate. B&M didn't want it to have the helixes at the end, but Phantasialand got them. Phantasialand plugged the project with cash making it one of the most expensive rollercoaster projects in Europe at a whopping £16million being split equally between theming and ride. The planning has resulted in a totally immersive ride experience.

From looking at photo's and off-ride videos, I was initally of the opinion that the main building (that contains the lift) looked a bit fake. But, someone linked me to a photo of the real McCoy on which it is based - and it is incredibly realistic. The building just naturally looks quite bland and Phantasialand have done a great job doing it. The theming is great - they have built an entire new zone around Mamba. From the walkways between sections of the ride it is simply a work of art. The station has closeable gates and looks amazing inside, again - from photo's. Simpyl said: the theming on this ride is amongst the very best in Europe: to rival such masterpieces as Big Thunder Mountain's 'Mountain' and Poseidon's 'Acropolis' station building. Phantasialand need a big thumbs up for that.

But what of the ride circuit? Firstly, it has to be said that you can never judge a ride solely on the basis of a POV. Like with Nemesis, you can never judge the proximity to the ground nor the forces which grip your body. So, we have to view Mamba's POV with an open mind. The top of the lift hill is well themed and as you drop down the first drop and go through the loop, the view is very similar to Nemesis Inferno. The ground beneath the loop appears surprisingly bare, but I am sure that isn't going to dampen spirits. The car seems to keep a decent pace through the circuit, although I must confess I am not a huge fan of coasters taking the easy option and ending with a few helixes a la Nemesis Inferno and, so it seems, Black Mamba. The Junior Immelman is certainly a great element of the circuit and the tunnels do resemble Nemesis.

So, overall: Black Mamba has won me over through it's theming. Whilst the circuit is certainly in the upper tier of Inverted coasters, it appears less relentless than Nemesis, which of course builds up to the loop 1/2 way around the circuit and that 'surprising' inversion right at the end. Mamba begins with the big drop and loop - and then coasts round to the station gradually losing speed. Not that this is a problem. Indeed, the ground hugging nature of Mamba makes this all the more interesting. But again, the theming is what Mamba has that other Inverter's do not. Of course the theming on Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno, Katun etc. is good but Mamba is taking it to the next level.

Overall: Probably the ride in Europe that I most want to ride that I haven't already. I am going to parks in June but haven't got the time to add Phantasialand in: So bring on 2007 and I will be able to judge Black Mamba properly rather than from videos and pictures!

Finally, Europe is home to the 3 best Inverted coasters in the world. For sure! With Nemesis, Katun and Black Mamba we show the American's how it is done.

Diddi
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2006 8:38 pm

oh btw, heres the onride video ;)

http://ostchien.com/videos/onride/blackmamba.zip
Image <---->Image

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 am

Some more photos have been added over on Theme Park Review;

Here

They are on the forum and the first one by Tom Mueller says 'It's no Nemesis'. . . is that a good thing or bad?!?!
Also Peis says 'It´s like a Child of Nemesis and Nemsis Inferno.'

Matt :D

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:36 am

On that on-ride video all the inversions seem to be over and done fairly on on the ride and nothing towards the end unlike nemesis were the inversions carry on till the end. :D

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:52 pm

Yeah, the only bad thing seems to be that the ride is sort of boring towards the end, and it's this why some people may like Nemesis better. I really like all the tunnels though.
Is there a plan of the layout anywhere?

AstroDan

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:54 pm

Apparantly, whilst i agree inversions are awesome at the end, the helixes at the end of Mamba re quite intense and produce forces on your legs.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:10 pm

It does just seem like a bit of a rip off of Nemesis though? I mean partly built underground with high speed helixes etc etc. Kind of steals the idea really!

In my opinion a tribute to Altons best ride which is 12 years old!

Williscroft

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:21 pm

I personaly think it looks amazing, top themeing and i think the end looks very good actualy, lots of fast turns into tunnles, great way to end it i think. I visited the park when i was in year 8 and loved it to bits, top rides which are more of an experience from the min you join the queue than just a ride. Cant wait to visit the park again some time soon :D

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 pm

"titler121" wrote:
It does just seem like a bit of a rip off of Nemesis though? I mean partly built underground with high speed helixes etc etc. Kind of steals the idea really!

I don't think it is stealing! More like they got their inspiration from Nemesis. I think this is what parks should be doing, looking at other ideas and then making them their own and improving on them. It's a great form of competetion and ensures that technology keeps moving along with the ever more complex ideas that these (foreign :() parks have. :D

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:07 pm

those helixes look pretty forceful and I'm sure if you were actually on the ride you would say that it's anything but slow and boring