UK theme parks from another point of view!

AdamJ

Re: New attraction for Pleasure Beach Blackpool 2011?

Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Lmao this is one funny topic :lol: The ride looks nice, and the guys over at Live From Blackpool! have practically confirmed it's a go ahead for 2011... Good Luck Amanda, just don't mess this one up like the rest...

#-o

AstroDan

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Why not 2010? A 16-month build up to a small ride like this seems excessive.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

I guess they're leaving it until next year as it would probably deflect attention away from this years fountain.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

FallenAbyss
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm guessing BPB had little say in the announcement which seemed to come from Mack.

Will it be a success ? I don't know, but it's probably the right route to take ... it'll attract families (Battle Galleons is testament to this even if it's never got a huge queue due to load rerides ...) because lets face it, Blackpool has plenty for the thrill seeker with a fair amount of Rollercoasters and thrill rides.

Blackpool needs to invest in families and children ... areas its really lacking in in order to turn it's fortunes around and be able to afford large scale projects once again.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/col_rftl/sets/72157626111847872/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/col_rftl/s ... 111847872/[/url]

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 pm

I do feel that Pleasure Beach does lack in the Family attractions area at the moment, so it is good to see that this is going to be addressed to some degree. A lot of people seem to love water rides, even during the miserable summers of recent years, water rides are always popular. Though the likes of Battle Galleons seem to be more popular spectator rides. :P

It would be good to see a big project coming along some time in the next 5 years. It is understandable that major attractions are few and far between, given that PB don't have the backing of corporate ownership.

The general clean up, a much fresher look to the place over the last few years, along with a couple of small, but unique attractions will help keep the punters visiting, but they still really need a major investment in an attraction to keep people interested in visiting again over the long term.

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

PBB 2010 Discussion

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Noticed on the news tonight, the pleasure beach has had a £4 million loss over the last financial year.

They blame the recession, the news seemed to make out that gate figures were very low down; and similarly the £5 entry fee had something to do with it.

Personally, I think the £5 entry will cripple the Pleasure Beach; and this is the first evidence of the fact.

What do you guys think?

AstroDan

Re: Blackpool - £4million Loss

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I am not at ALL suprised. 2009 saw less PBB visits for me than usual (just one...) - and I think that feeling will be represent of the General Public.

The £5 fee, rides SBNO, lack of new additions...

Every other park I know of saw INCREASES in footfall for 2009 because the Credit Crunch HELPED them...

Sorry to see this, but again - not suprised.

Jayne
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 pm

You mean this story? http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article6982293.ece

I'm not so sure about it purely being recession based. In the article there is this quote
The profit in the previous year was boosted by asset sales.

which would mean that if it wasn't for the sale of PleasureLand they would have had lower, or negative profit, for the financial year up to April 2008 as well. The recession hit in December 2007, UK interest rates didn't vastly change until April 2008.

And as for the £5 entrance fee - that didn't start until the beginning of the 2009 season. This £4 million loss is for the financial year up to April 2009. So the entrance fee-for-all will not be to blame for this loss.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Merlin Entertainment to buy BPPB?

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm not sure that it's the recession or the £5 charge which is to blame, if I'm honest.

Blackpool just doesn't strike me as being a particularly well managed attraction. The handful of SBNO rides and seriously bottom-heavy park stand testament to that.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 pm

It has nothing to do with the £5 charge or the weather.

I've said it a million times in debates over the park that she did not adjust to the current financial climate. The gate offers came too little to late as many people had hit Merlin parks who flooded the market with offers on practically everything, this offered a budgeted day out at one of Europe's best parks.

Or you could choose to go up North and pay full price for a park with - No Shows, Rides Closed/SBNO, No real new attraction to draw people and staff which would look happier at a funeral.

Pleasure Beach cannot carry on with the way they are going, lets hope this new business model does something which gets back the custom it's lost , as she cannot get by on just installing water features & water rides.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Kaycee

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Just... what are they thinking. First proper ride installation in how long and it's another obscenely wet ride, right on the blustery coast.

DiogoJ42

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 pm

I guess it just proves that Mandy is a fish.

Anonymous

Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:34 pm

I don't think the entrance fee is the problem, you can't get in many amusement parks for free and they're not all struggling.

I think the loss is due to a number of things. They aren't open as long or as consistently as they used to be. The novelty of the PMBO has long worn off with nothing spectacular added since. The fact that the rides and really the whole place looks like it needs painting. Personally, I don't really want to put money in that woman's pocket after what she did to the Cyclone, however I don't want the woodies at BPB to go the same way. :(

They don't really have the space at BPB to be introducing new rides without it being at the expense of some classic ones, so if they do it or not they will get slated. They should have grouped BPB with Pleasureland Southport as a one entrance fee for both parks "superpark" and virtually started again, investing in the new rides at the Pleasureland site. Its too late now, and what do I know anyway.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:51 pm

The financial loss was from April 08 to April 09, so the entrance fee would of not been an issue, as it would of only been in operation for a couple of weeks prior to the end of that financial year.

We won't really know how the entrance free has affected profits/losses until the April 09/10 results are made public later on in the year. Though it is inevitable that attendances will be down, the icing on the cake as to whether the £5 entry fee has had a positive or negative effect will be if the average spend per guest is up as opposed to previous years when anyone could walk in and not have to spend a single penny. By rights, the fact that everyone has paid to get in, and is encouraged to spend the day there, thus spend money, then average spend per guest should increase substantially.

Effectively, PB need the fewer guests they will get bringing in more of an income for them then the 5 million plus guests would of done in previous years.

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:23 pm

The articles also mention that PBB have cut overheads by around £3.5 million, which is a lot of moolah. Most of that will come from the shows to be honest.

Anyway, if they have cut that amount - then the loss in 2008 is roughly the amount saved (also note that they paid of loan debts to reduce interest repayments, so again, the £4 million loss isn't a true figure). So even if 2008 gate figures are repeated, the worst that will happen is that the park will break even.

I'm really waiting on the 2009 gate figure numbers before starting to look at predicting how well the 2009 season went.

Essentially, if they can manage Alton or even Thorpe gate numbers, then we can say that they've done well. So it's all waiting for that document which usually arrives in a few week's time :)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

Spike
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Thing is though Phil they'll lie like always, I bet they'll claim 4 million when it's safe to say they probably get the same as Alton probably less.
*Honest Cint!*

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Holiday flats anyone?

I think this "Loss" is due to many things.

The gate fee (we all seen what adding an entrance fee done to southport and now BPB is heading the same way? Are we really surprised?)

The Credit Crunch (Yes more of us are holidaying in the UK but on average were spending less when were on these holidays because we think we need to hold on to our cash a bit more now.)

No New Attractions (When was the last QUALITY attraction added to the park? It needs investment and fast)

Bad Maintenance and SBNO (The park is looking in a right state. It needs a bit of TLC! a repaint, a spruce up and a deep clean to make it look fresh once again.)

No Shows (Before there used to be something for everyone but now all they have to offer are rides. Do you really think that's what the old folk want? Blackpool used to be famous for its stunning shows and its glamour but I'm sad to say this ere seems to have died :( )

Lack of holiday makers (Personally i think the amount of tourist going to Blackpool either on holidays or day trips have fallen. I think that's because the last time i was up there it was really starting to look run down and out dated. I know there spending alot on reinventing the place but i just think its too little, Blackpool is a big place.)

The Big question. Will i be returning this year?

Probably Not

well that's my views anyhow 8-[
ThrillJunkieUK

Spike
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:54 pm

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
Lack of holiday makers (Personally i think the amount of tourist going to Blackpool either on holidays or day trips have fallen. I think that's because the last time i was up there it was really starting to look run down and out dated. I know there spending alot on reinventing the place but i just think its too little, Blackpool is a big place.)

Your personal feelings would be wrong ;)

2009 saw a rise of 20% in the number of people visiting Blackpool

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/8342595.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 342595.stm[/url]
*Honest Cint!*

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 pm

"Spike" wrote:
Thing is though Phil they'll lie like always, I bet they'll claim 4 million when it's safe to say they probably get the same as Alton probably less.

You can't do anything about that though can you? You have to just trust people sometimes no matter what.

Of course, those numbers will then tie in with the gate takings for 2009 when released, won't they?

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
The gate fee (we all seen what adding an entrance fee done to southport and now BPB is heading the same way? Are we really surprised?)

Didn't affect the 2008 season, it will show next year - no idea how it will pan out (see mine and Spike's little discussion).

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
The Credit Crunch (Yes more of us are holidaying in the UK but on average were spending less when were on these holidays because we think we need to hold on to our cash a bit more now.)

True, but domestic visits picked up massively during summer 2009. Worst period was December 2008 though, after a slump starting in the summer of 2008. Doesn't explain why othe rparks did well though...

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
No New Attractions (When was the last QUALITY attraction added to the park? It needs investment and fast)

I agree, but they have no cash. Also, Infusion did stop some of the slide (and it was free)

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
Bad Maintenance and SBNO (The park is looking in a right state. It needs a bit of TLC! a repaint, a spruce up and a deep clean to make it look fresh once again.)

I didn't go to Blackpool in 2009, but in 2008 it wasn't looking too bad - not compared to other years I've been there. The one place money IS being invested is in trying to spruce the place up. So it may not be a lot, but the effort is going in...

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
No Shows (Before there used to be something for everyone but now all they have to offer are rides. Do you really think that's what the old folk want? Blackpool used to be famous for its stunning shows and its glamour but I'm sad to say this ere seems to have died :( )

Conversely, for years people have been saying "too much is being spent on the shows which run empty most of the time". Which is true. It was a bold move to close the one part of the park Amanda actually gave a stuff about. It must have been hard after flogging that dead horse for so many years to finally admit defeat. I'll bet millions have been saved by stopping the shows - far more than they could ever recoup.

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:

This is the quandary for PBB as I see it. The visitor numbers (and bread and butter to PBB) for Blackpool itself are down and down. So they have to try and get as much as they can from each guest. That puts them into "Theme Park" territory though - where people visit for a day at your park. When you do that, you need to offer something new each year, like the other Theme Parks do. However, they don't have the money to invest. So at the moment, they're kind of straddling to two positions and I don't think they know (or maybe even can) make the leap to one side or the other.

So it's all about reducing overheads, maximising profits and trying to get enough cash in the kitty to make that investment. The new Water Teacups is an investment in a fairly decent family attraction. As both Alton and Drayton have proven these last three years, families bring in a lot of cash.

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
The Big question. Will i be returning this year?

Probably Not

well that's my views anyhow 8-[

And my counter views :lol:

I'm really still sitting and waiting to see on it all...
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here