UK theme parks from another point of view!

shane790_0
TT Member
TT Member

Re: PBB 2010 Discussion

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Why the hatred towards Amanda Thompson? Ive seen the BBC documentry and yes she comes across bossy but when your the the boss of a multi million pound empire it dosent pay to be nice. If anything her father comes across a lot worse in my opinion.

I would like to hear why people hate her so much...Im sorry if Im dragging old stories back up but Im pretty new to this site.

On another note, I was at the PB over easter (the first time in 7 years) and I was shocked how clean and tidy the place was looking

QTXAdsy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:26 pm

I've just got back from PBB...My god it looks so different! :shock:

The place is well clean and most of the rides have received a lot of TLC, even though they are still rough. I'am still wondering, when are they suppose to get this so-called 'rocket coaster' that'll be the tallest and fastest in the world? Probably never. 8-[

But still, they need a big thrill ride in a few years time that hopefully won't be themed to lots and lots of water. :evil:

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:00 pm

I'am still wondering, when are they suppose to get this so-called 'rocket coaster' that'll be the tallest and fastest in the world? Probably never.

Not happening.

Maybe if GT had been around a few more years he might of pushed for it, but Amanda has gone on record to say she doesnt plan on having any record breaking coasters built at PB anytime soon.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

AstroDan

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I was having a lengthly conversation with a few people on the trip to Blackpool last week, and we were discussing that it's a real shame that the park appear not to have much to spend on new attractions.

It's all very well and good seeing Merlin spend left, right and centre on new attractions and to see all four of their UK parks have major developments into the future. Yet, Blackpool, which is the only park that really gives the likes of Alton Towers a run for its money in terms of gate figures, stumble from year to year with small additions which yes, make the park aesthetics better, but fundamentally aren't going to entice guests from around the country.

Blackpool has one gift that none of the Merlin Parks have (indeed, practically no other UK parks have) - a practically limitless boundary on what they could do in their park. Pleasure Beach is so historically tied into the town that if they wanted to build a 300' Millennium Force weaving around the park - I bet they could do it. Alton, Thorpe, Chessington, Legoland, Drayton Manor etc. simply do not have this luxury.

Blackpool is a park that is built to be big and brash. Forget major theming - just build huge monsters that will get the public talking again. I dream of the day that Blackpool build something epic again. Something that only they could do. The UK is crying out for something huge - and PBB is the only place that could really compete in size with the Americans. Yet, inspite of their gate figures (or at least, publicized gate figures) - they do not. Indeed, I would even suggest that the average price paid for admission to PBB is higher than the likes of Alton given the relitavely few 1/2 price offers around for the park.

So, in a nutshell - I really hope the park have something huge planned down the line - something that will actually mean that Alton and the rest have to stand upand be counted. For competition is vital!

:)

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:56 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
Blackpool is a park that is built to be big and brash. Forget major theming - just build huge monsters that will get the public talking again. I dream of the day that Blackpool build something epic again. Something that only they could do.

Believe me Dan, you are not the only one who is thinking like this.

I really do hope one day Pleasure Beach go and do something totally unexpected, a bit like with PMBO, shock the coaster industry and announce the next 200ft+ coaster.

I dont think this country will ever boast a world record for the tallest coaster again, but one thing I do think is possible for Pleasure Beach, go for the european record.

I know alot of enthusiasts would complain, but I would love to see a 300ft or above Intamin rocket (Stealth-esque) at Pleasure Beach. Personally I think the public would love it.

Will it happen? We can only hope it does happen one day!
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

AdamJ

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:55 pm

"Scott""][quote=""AstroDan" wrote:
Blackpool is a park that is built to be big and brash. Forget major theming - just build huge monsters that will get the public talking again. I dream of the day that Blackpool build something epic again. Something that only they could do.

Believe me Dan, you are not the only one who is thinking like this.

I really do hope one day Pleasure Beach go and do something totally unexpected, a bit like with PMBO, shock the coaster industry and announce the next 200ft+ coaster.

I dont think this country will ever boast a world record for the tallest coaster again, but one thing I do think is possible for Pleasure Beach, go for the european record.

I know alot of enthusiasts would complain, but I would love to see a 300ft or above Intamin rocket (Stealth-esque) at Pleasure Beach. Personally I think the public would love it.

Will it happen? We can only hope it does happen one day![/quote]

I personally don't think PMBO will top PMBO, I know I've slated the park so many times, but it's the first park I ever went to, and it still means a lot to me. Personally, I'd like to see something smashing the speed record. Forget height, they got PMBO to capture people's eyes, and ofcourse Ice Blast, but I'd do it like this..

1. Build a ground hogging, 150+mph rollercoaster. Manufacturer either Intamin or Premier (if they can fix the launch system on Ring Racer). Max height should be around 120ft, where it'd feature an element the same to the tall turnaround/spiral area on Ring Racer, based on the land of the Maze, or near to it.

2. Remove Ice Blast. Install a Star Flyer ride, approx the same height as Ice Blast, 48 seats (single and double seating).

3. Completely renew Valhalla. Fix all effects, maintain the whole lot of the ride and remove all lasers/non-themed effects from the ride. Re-position the ORP system.

4. PMBO. I'd completely repaint it, top to bottom, close it if needs be, just to get it like the day it opened, sparkling and brand new. I'd also, if costs can be kept optimal, re-profile the track, get it silk smooth, and also consider a new set of trains, maybe made by Permier or Chance Morgan.

5. Alice Ride Area. I know this one will cause rants, but I'd remove Alice Ride, Trauma Towers/Tagada, and the shops facing Ghost Train etc. I'd install another coaster or 2 flat rides here. Coaster in mind would be either a fairly descent capacity Eurofighter or Xcar, or an Intamin Family Coaster, using their Tire Propelled Launch system (as seen on Jet Rescue and Mick Doohan's Motocoaster). Flat rides, I would choose a Huss Giant Frisbee and/or Zamperla Giant DiskoCoaster (a.k.a Kobra (Chessington) and Edge (Paultons).

6. Lower entry price. Yes, £5 seems too much, well, to my parents :lol: so I'd say lower it to £2, this is what Pleasureland Southport used, and seems applicable and would be more appealing. I'd also take the main Wristband price from £30 to £27, this could be a nice positive push from PBB, to boost entries of Wristband purchasers. If needs be, increase it by year back to £30, this could happily work out.

7. Clean-up on Rides. I'd clean up the majority of the rides, mainly focusing on Goldmine, Steeplechase, River Caves, and the Woodies.

That's all I can think of, and I think they're probably my best ones yet.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:16 pm

To be honest if there's nothing of substantial cost installed within the next few years there will be serious questions raised, especially after the £5 charge has been introduced to raise some capitol. With Merlin moving into the area it would be so nice if they bought the park. I for one would like to see the park survive with new owners than close due to the stubbornness of the current one.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm not too keen on the idea of Merlin getting hold of PBB, it would leave them with a near monopoly on UK parks, leaving only Drayton as serious competition - pretty much everything else is either small or remote. As Dan said, competition is important.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm

"John" wrote:
I'm not too keen on the idea of Merlin getting hold of PBB, it would leave them with a near monopoly on UK parks, leaving only Drayton as serious competition - pretty much everything else is either small or remote. As Dan said, competition is important.

Would you prefer the closure of yet more parks? :?
*Honest Cint!*

John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 pm

No, but I don't think PBB are in immediate danger any more, they've tightened up their spending and seem to be heading back towards profitability. I imagine it'll be a few years before their finances fully recover, but I expect them to make it, though it will probably be a long time before we see investment on the scale of the 90s/early 00s.

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 pm

"Spike" wrote:
To be honest if there's nothing of substantial cost installed within the next few years there will be serious questions raised, especially after the £5 charge has been introduced to raise some capitol. With Merlin moving into the area it would be so nice if they bought the park. I for one would like to see the park survive with new owners than close due to the stubbornness of the current one.

How do you know that the £5 charge was introduced to raise capital? I know they said at the time that as a free admission park they felt there were too many people walking around and using the toilets / producing litter without spending anything at all and hence being a drain on the park's finances - but that's not what you are saying.

It's not like the parking charge that was introduced at Alton Towers to help fund a relief road. Now that plans for that road have been shelved, I have seen no suggestion of that charge being removed - yet no 'serious questions' have been raised, and there are advanced plans to start charging similarly at Thorpe Park and Legoland Windsor.

Blaze

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:54 pm

I wouldn't want Merlin to take over. Blackpool isn't about theming or anything like that. Blackpool has always been a place for rides.

It is sad to see them not being able to spend money anymore, but they have a huge dilema. If they build more, they will go bankrupt. If they don't, people will stop going, and they will become bankrupt.

Hopefully their finances are back on track now, they seem to be steadily making the place look nicer, and for all we hate Amanda, all the modernisation ha not ruined the atmosphere of the park and all the additions seem to be well chosen and fit in. Blackpool has a nack for picking the right attractions, nothing seems out of place or as if it does not belong and must be commended for it.

Can you imagine PBB without Ice Blast toweing up in one corner and PMBO rising out from the other? Even Bling and Infusion, the newest big attractions, seem to fit well and belong.

I really like Blackpool, it has a unique atmosphere and setting, and for the sheer amount of rides can not be beaten anywhere in the UK. They just need to make the park nicer to be in, as sometimes the atmosphere turns bad and the park can sometimes feel broken, old and depressing.

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:19 pm

3. Completely renew Valhalla. Fix all effects, maintain the whole lot of the ride and remove all lasers/non-themed effects from the ride. Re-position the ORP system.

I've got a better idea, remove it and replace it.

Its more hassle than its worth.

I'd also, if costs can be kept optimal, re-profile the track, get it silk smooth, and also consider a new set of trains, maybe made by Permier or Chance Morgan.

Nah, why lose the character of it? Its never been the smoothest coaster on the market and never will be, re-track when neccesary but not for the sake of making it silky smooth.

Regards Merlin taking over Pleasure Beach...no thanks! [-X

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:44 pm

I still think valhalla could be/could have been a brilliant ride, its just undermined by a series of major problems. I also think that a lot of people don't notice these problems until they've been on it several times - I used to absolutely love it but now I notice the faults more and like it less and less each time I go on.

That said, I still think removing valhalla would be a big mistake unless they had something really big to replace it. It seems to be one of the most popular rides at the park (a recent poll by a Blackpool newspaper agrees). OK so it runs on low capacity - but if people didn't like it they wouldn't join the queue when its spilling out the entrance.

This leaves the park in a bit of a dilemma with what to do with the ride. They can't leave it SBNO as its too popular, they probably can't afford a worthy replacement but they don't want to run it as it costs so much :|

Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Having not been for ages last time i went they were only running 8 boats, when i think the ride was designed to run with alot more boats than that! The concept of the ride is good but it is far too wet, you dont follow any story throughout the ride and ride costs far too much to run at a decent capacity due to the cost of the fire everytime a boat goes past. Saying that i have only been on it a few times and apart from how wet you get i did really enjoy the ride, what other faults do you think the ride has?

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Having not been for ages last time i went they were only running 8 boats, when i think the ride was designed to run with alot more boats than that!

Valhalla was designed to run 25 boats. The maximum you will see it run on now is 12 boats.

On a pay-per-ride basis it worked wonders for Pleasure Beach and the cost of running it was covered, however now wristbands take priority and cover pretty much every ride, the cost of Valhalla isnt covered at all and is considered by many as a hinderance to Pleasure Beach's finances by most people except for Valhalla fans lol.

Plus, its not exactly easy to SBNO the only 'big' water ride at PB which is right next to the parks entrance.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member

Pleasure Beach - A View Of The Future (If Only)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm pretty sure most enthusiasts are guilty for it. You lay there trying to sleep or daydreaming about how you would change a park if you had a shot at it and lots of money.

It's no secret that I don't like the Pleasure beach as much as I used to and it's often branded down to me stupidly boycotting the park because of past incidents. Well it's not a silly boycott, if it was then i'm a very strong willed person to live 5mins down the road and still not visit when i can. There lyes the problem, the park is 5mins walk down the road and yet I choose not to buy a season pass even if it's just to wander down and get a few rides and feed my adrenaline needs. The reason for this is not some petty boycott it's purely because it's lost it's charm and passion for me which is sad on occasion.

There's alot of talk about Alton losing "The Magic" and that the "Magic is back" well I wasn't really privy to this era of loss but I can understand it as I feel exactly the same with the Pleasure Beach. I have been visiting this park for over 20 years, I lived, played and hung around this park as a kid and so it holds some of the best memories of my life in there. I don't take the discission lightly to suddenly start avoiding the park, I just don't feel what i used to feel for the park. What maybe perceived as cheap shots is actually pure frustration at watching your childhood park being slowly destroyed.

My comments about wanting Merlin to purchase PBB were, again, not out of spite but wanting the park to grow from strength to strength and with it's current owners the park is degrading slowly but being covered up with paint and pretty things. Would I be sad to see it fall out of the Thompson family hands? yes, but I would prefer that than see the park fall into a state of disrepair and eventually closure.

Which leads me onto the reason for this topic and my "Vision of the future"

On a purely hypothetical basis of me purchasing the park under Merlin and the direction I would take it. True RCT3 style. Yes, my ideas maybe a little "out there" and in some cases a little far fetched but if you haven't already closed this topic bored then I will for the first time share my vision. :D

2010 - PBB Is purchased by the Merlin/Blackstone group and the park is headed up by myself. 2010 Season is spent evaluating the park from top to bottom and also the clear out of the Space Invader dome but keeping the dome. Implementing a new staff training program to be used through the 2011 season.

2011 - Installation of the first thrill ride in the Space Invader dome. A Huss Mark 2 Top Spin ie Talocan installed in the dome and themed using the latest in screen technology and themed around a black hole using wind, lighting and Charlie Style screening to create an immersive thrill ride heavily themed. possibility of licensing the ride to be themed around Dr Who as a means of creating interest but not definite.

Sadly the closure of Big Dipper and starting removal for project "Trident" There would no doubt anarchy among enthusiasts over it's removal but the layout has been changed a few times to not really warrant it's ultimate classic status.

2012 - In the big Dippers place would be a modern woodie but keeping some of the historic elemets of Big Dipper. The station would remain the same as to the blue onion on top. the ride will start exactly the same as dipper, turning and entering the tunnel only this time upon exiting the tunnel you immediately ascend a lift which rises all the way (as high as possible with the current technology) to the Big Ones lift before plummeting near vertically (El Toro styley) into the already existing tunnel under the South Entrance. the ride would then crest and drop diagonally replicating the same style of drop dipper uses behind big blue before twisting and turning in itself like Troy over and around Steeple Chase and on the site currently occupied by the Go-Karts (which would be removed) the ride would then return similarly to as it does now but instead of coming down the home stretch it viers off behind infusions Maintenance shed and occupies the mass of empty land at the base of the Big one before returning into the station.

The ride would be themed around Grecian style Olympics but as I'm crap with names I have no idea what it would be called. lol

2013 - Smallish investment and replacement of Ice Blast which is no longer unique and it's battered and broke basically. In it's place Europes tallest Freefall Intamin tower around 350ft. This one would be a disk version drop as oppose to individual cars. Half would be standing half would be sitting.

The removal of impossible and arcade next door begins.

2014 - Construction of an indoor dark ride. The entrance and Indoor queue line would be in place of Impossible and the arcade and the actual ride would be housed on the car park behind FY4 and Bowladrome. Not quite sure on what type of dark ride maybe an Intamin family coaster heavily themed and would stand as a good bargaining chip with Intamin having bought a tower ride from them the year before.

Noahs Ark to also get complete re-theme and back working.

2015 - Keeping with intaming and part of the 3 year deal a complete over haul of Valhalla changing some scenes and basically replacing most of the broken areas or temperamental areas with new technology making it once again the worlds best dark water ride.

Lick of paint for the park in areas which is needed and complete refurb of the Ghost Train also with new cars scenes but sticking to the traditional feel rather than going the way of Duel.

Removal of the Grand Prix begins.

2016 - Beaver creek to get complete re-theme with a few new kids rides either in house theming or sponsored theme like Thomas Land.

Track replacement for the Big One including new trains and re-paint.

Removal of Avalanche

2017 - On the site of Avalanche and Grand prix would stand a new steel inverting Coaster. Not quite sure on make and model as technology will have advanced at this point but a World First is a must. Station situated where current Grand Prix one is.

2018 - General park face lift and Trauma towes to be turned into a live action maze and new Tagada installed for the ending.

I know it's very "out-there" and possibly not achievable in the time scale i have set but if the PB was to be taken over by a company which can pump money into and keep the place looking fresh then I'm all for it. I'm not suggesting Merlin because they own Towers but because of the sheer investment then can put into a park and keep the PB as good as it used to be. There's no denying the park has fallen drastically in recent years and whilst it still has it's die hard fans there are many which it has lost.

I will never hate the place, but visiting somewhere where you know things could be done so much better and a place which has lost it's charm, image and vision is heartbreaking. Only time will tell with what happens and I prey for the day the park re-gains it's "magic"

Sorry if I bored you and congrats if you managed to stick through all this till the end :lol: but it's something I've always wanted to post but never got round to it. :mrgreen:
*Honest Cint!*

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Pleasure Beach - A View Of The Future (If Only)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:19 pm

it all sounded quite nice until I read:

2016 -
Removal of Avalanche

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - I have a real soft spot for avalanche!

Spike
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:35 pm

"caffeine_demon" wrote:
it all sounded quite nice until I read:

2016 -
Removal of Avalanche

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - I have a real soft spot for avalanche!

Avalanche occupies a mass amount of valuable space along with Grand Prix. I too like Avalanche but what could replace it could be monumental.
*Honest Cint!*

Madzieee
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I get sad when they demolish old rides. Please give them to the people who are doing up Dreamland, Margate instead, it will make me happy with your plan :). I don't live too far away, I was going to go today but because it's Tuesday so not open I went to the Sandcastle instead.