UK theme parks from another point of view!

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin to take over Blackpool Pleasure Beach?

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:17 pm

same situation as drayton manor... a great family run park who will refuse to sellout - individual theme park sometimes offer better experiences, just a shame they don't have the same level of investment behind them!
Image 2014

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:38 pm

I never would go the pleasure beach again if Merlin took over. I think they would scrap the entrance ticket and charge a entry price instead. That would save on staff costs as they wouldn't need any by the scanners. They would also add fast track on everything. All the shows would get closed down.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 am

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I never would go the pleasure beach again if Merlin took over. I think they would scrap the entrance ticket and charge a entry price instead. That would save on staff costs as they wouldn't need any by the scanners. They would also add fast track on everything. All the shows would get closed down.

BPB do kinda offer fast tracking, although I do think Blackpool's version is better, allowing you to queue for a ride whilst going on a smaller ride or going for dinner! It's fair as they have still waited their turn, they've just paid to not waste their time in a queue. Its something I think AT should adopt and replace Fast tracking with. I personally also prefer the pay once at the gate so that wouldn't bother me, and although I don't watch them, I think shutting down the shows could be a bad idea (even though Blackpool is full of them) but I would prefer rides in their place (some of them)
Last edited by stealthsmiler on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEALIFE
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:21 pm

I think if the price was right BPB would sell. With anything really, say if you saw a brand new car you wanted and got offered it at an outstanding price would you really turn it down? I don't think so. Despite it being family owned or not Pleasure Beach has really lacked investment over the years and with such things as Nickelodeon and W&G its going to be sometime before they can really pull back in the crowds.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:58 pm

It would be good of they took over BPB as the MAP needs more northern attractions. I also think they could really help BPB, I just hope they wouldn't remove the woodies! I am however all for selling off The Big One and getting a better coaster in its place (something with inversions).  BPB needs to have big investments as it's in a good spot for getting hign number of guests but lacks the good rides(with a few exceptions), and people would rather travel to AT (unless you live on BPBs doorstep, but even then, some would travel). Get rid of the stupid Steeplechase and get a decent coaster there.

rosco1982uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 pm

A quick look at the BPB Ltd accounts tells you that for the last few years it has been anything but rosy for them.

They don't have the funds to purchase anything substantial and without purchasing anything substantial, they won't get crowd levels up.

Being a seaside park, it NEEDS the weather. If we get two months of sustained sunshine in the summer, they will do well. If not, I expect plenty of SBNOs in the near future as staffing is cut back.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:36 pm

So the park deteriorates due to lack of funding and then Merlin buys it cheap, invests a bit of money and TLC and It would be brill, a B&M or two and theyre good to go, new coasters to advertise, number of guests increase, makes money but best of all added to the MAP. and TBH the woodies surely wont have let, seen as they're closer to 100 than 50, and the sea air cant be good for the wood. So if Merlin removed them I suppose it wouldn't be such a big deal really. They would just have to replace them.

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:37 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:

BPB do kinda offer fast tracking, although I do think Blackpool's version is better, allowing you to queue for a ride whilst going on a smaller ride or going for dinner! It's fair as they have still waited their turn, they've just paid to not waste their time in a queue. Its something I think AT should adopt and replace Fast tracking with. I personally also prefer the pay once at the gate so that wouldn't bother me, and although I don't watch them, I think shutting down the shows could be a bad idea (even though Blackpool is full of them) but I would prefer rides in their place (some of them)

By your description this sounds like the legoland queuing with the little pod that you scan at queue entrances
EDIT: * if they haven't scrapped it yet and replaced with fastrack

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Rollermad wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:

By your description this sounds like the legoland queuing with the little pod that you scan at queue entrances
EDIT: * if they haven't scrapped it yet and replaced with fastrack

Well it basically queues for you. Tells you what time to go to the ride so that you can go have dinner or ride a smaller ride rather than queue two hours for The Big One. You would still wait two hours, you could just do something else rather than stand in queues.

EDIT, yes its pretty much exactly the same thing

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:59 pm

From my point of view I could see Miss Thompson selling up .. the Park is going slowly down the Toilet. There have been no new big rides since 2000's Valhaller (not including rebrands)

The Question would more be: would Merlin take over the park? Maybe if the price was right, but maybe not the park has and always will be restricted by its size very little room to do much with.

The Woodies, well they can't go, I looked it up as yet they are not grade 2 listed but the Grand national is one of only three Mobius loop coasters left in the world and the only one in Europe so that at least is not going anywhere.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:51 pm

The biggest problem is not the pleasure beach but Blackpool itself. In 2000,2001&2006 we had good lads weekends away where we would go the pubs and clubs in the evening and during the day go the pleasure beach,play crazy golf and the other attractions in Blackpool. We last went 4 years ago and no plans to go back as most of the bars we went to had closed down or burnt down. We ended up just going for the day having dinner in wetherspoons near the pleasure beach and getting home for about 11pm. If it wasn't for Butlins I wouldn't have even been on holiday to a seaside town since.

Jamie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Master_feedback wrote:
From my point of view I could see Miss Thompson selling up .. the Park is going slowly down the Toilet. There have been no new big rides since 2000's Valhaller (not including rebrands)

The Question would more be: would Merlin take over the park? Maybe if the price was right, but maybe not the park has and always will be restricted by its size very little room to do much with.

The Woodies, well they can't go, I looked it up as yet they are not grade 2 listed but the Grand national is one of only three Mobius loop coasters left in the world and the only one in Europe so that at least is not going anywhere.

The park is not going down the toilet in any way!
Last year was the start of a big comeback for the park. Wallace and Gromit (a big, £5.3 million pound investment) firmly established the park as a fantastic family destination, and there is talk from the park themselves about a thrill ride and big new coaster in the coming years.

Last November, the park trialed a late opening (MIDNIGHT!) and they were packed - this has led to there being 3 or 4 late opening days today - not to mention 8/9pm closes in the summer and October time.

The park has been very busy so far this season, which is only a good sign.
They are not going down the pan, they are going up!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 pm

Did Nickelodeon Land not see new ride installments? I know they aren't big rides, but surely it was a big investment.

danny_davies
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

I would love to see BPB rejuvinated I think there is massive potential there with world class rides such as Valhalla and The big one already there! (If you have not been on Valhalla it's amazing!) It also has classic woodies like the grand national and the big dipper which are still a good ride.

I would like to see another thrill ride somewhere in the park - maybe replace Steeplechase. In this spot I would put a rolleroaster similar to the smiler (quite compact) or another dark ride (abit like Valhalla)

However this isnt possible atm as they do not have the funds and that is why I wouldn't mind Merlin taking over as it enable new rides to be built and it would be given a bit more TLC! I would like them to keep the modern theme though.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 pm

It lacks a good B&M. And I agree about Valhalla but not the Big One, i found that really boring after the first drop.

danny_davies
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:14 pm

I think the Big One is good as it is an iconic part of Blackpool and it is one of the few mega coasters in England; also it is quite fast on the second drop and I like the inclined turn.

Yeah a B&M would do BPB the world of good and it would give them a new coaster to advertise as they haven't had one for years now. I don'k know where it would go however

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:22 pm

On Steeplechases site, looking on Google Maps, they would have quite some room to play with, they would just have to weave it in and around the other 3 coasters. Steeplechase is boring and painful. And I agree TBO is an Iconic part of Blackpool, it just looks so much better than it is.

danny_davies
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Yeah the steeplechase site would definately be my choice as it is jerky and not very thrilling at all. However it gets through riders quite quick with three lanes and 4 horses on the track at a time.

I agree that it looks better than it is but at the end of the day, visitors and the public will see the ride and think 'I want to ride that' and therefore it brings in more customers whereas a ride like Infusion might be better (its not) but because the GP cant see it they wont want to go in as much! I know that whenever I go to Blackpool I always look for the big one!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Yes, i dont think they should waste money taking it down and it deffo is a good way of drawing in the crowds but Valhalla is the best ride on the park IMO, and is exactly what AT lacks

danny_davies
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Yeah Valhalla is probably my favourite ride in England - the theming is amazing and the drops are good too!

If only Alton could get a ride like that instead of the flume!