UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:58 am

Here is the entire quote, from page 20 of this months Group Travel Organiser magazine:

'DRUNKEN BARRELS'

Staffordshire theme park Drayton Manor is introducing a new ride for the 2006 season. Called the Drunken Barrels, the new ride, due to open in June, offers groups the chance to ride around in a spinning motion in a recreated Bavarian beer barrel. Discounted rates are available for pre-booked groups of 12 or more people.

---

No indication of indoor or outdoor attraction.

MostMagicalCat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:07 pm

heading down to dmp on the 7th april, for a spin on g-force, hopfully taking my daughter on, but not sure if she is able
on the website it lists "project x" at 1.3 meters, i am prusiming that was g-f's code name, but does this inicate that g-f's hieght is 1.3 m, or is this info out of date.
hope u can help
thanks
[

AstroDan

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Sadly it seems that the new Drunken Barrels ride will take its name from the Intamin product of the same name.

http://www.ridetrade.com/r_products_roundrides.htm

Gutted - that looks like a load of rubbish compared to Breakdances.

Williscroft

Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:06 pm

Yer thats what its been said to be for quite a while now, the drunken barrles ride off the intamin website. I also whish it was a breakdance but hay its something a little different and if themed nicley i think to could look quite good up there :)

Anonymous

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Drayton Manor UPDATE
This Saturday i went down to Drayton to take some photos to see if there was any major changes before the 2006 season starts. . .

Shockwaves painjob is coming on slowly and i doubt they will get it finished in time i mean come on Drayton youve only got 3 weeks left and they havent even painted the lift hill yet. . .

But ohh whats this?

They have painted Stormforce 10's drops the same colour as shockwaves sky blue track before they have finished a job that needs doing more why start painting another ride before finishing another, but then again Storm Force 10's drops do need painting because they need to get rid of that dirty green algie you can see while the water is not flowing!

Before & After Stormforce 10's drops were painted

Image Back to Shockwave. . .Just on the bend of the drop you can see were the they have got upto its not far enought if you want to get it done in the next 3 weeks!

Now for Cyclone pictures. . .Oh wait a sec Its gone

Theres nothink there but a big hole and couple of JCB diggers, I didnt know they had to dig a hole this big just for a small intimin drunken barrels they must be gettin a differnt ride anyway didnt Collin Bryan (manager director) or dmp say at one of the coaster meetings it will be a
'spining Huss thingy', anyway heres some more pictures of the dupsite. . .Enjoy!
[url=http]Image[/url]ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Spaced Cyclone pictures out so as not to stretch the page.
Cheers Stoky :D

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:35 pm

They will be digging a hole so the ride platform sits at ground level. The trench will most likley be for the lifting mechanisms. Also, they may want to lower the ride just to make sure it doesnt peak over the tree tops or anything.

Williscroft

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:46 pm

Looking good, think StormForce 10s drop looks nice and fresh, i always get to the park arround 9:30 so see the green crap all the time before the water starts flowing lol, this should make a nice change.

Ive never known a coaster take so long to be painted though, i bet the Big One could of been painted alot faster.

I thought that whole was already there from cyclone, im shure i remember looking down through the platform and seeing a whole with stones in it :? Maybe , maybe not. :D Opening day very soon :D

Williscroft

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 pm

Sorry about the double posting but this topics been dead for a while and theres new information. On the new 2006 Drayton Manor map it now says the hotel will be arriving in 2008. Wounder if this is due to money problems or just delays in the construction.

This has probably also put their other plans back a year or so like Stormalongbay and the log cabins. Ahh well im shure Drayton Manor will have a few decent rides added before the hotel opens now :D

MostMagicalCat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:31 pm

heading down to dmp on the 7th april, for a spin on g-force, hopfully taking my daughter on, but not sure if she is able
on the website it lists "project x" at 1.3 meters, i am prusiming that was g-f's code name, but does this inicate that g-f's hieght is 1.3 m, or is this info out of date.
hope u can help
thanks

sorry to repeat myself, any ideas.please?
[

Williscroft

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:37 pm

Yes Project X is G-Force and on the new Drayton Manor website it says "G-Force - 1.3 metres" so you should be having a great ride :D Hope you have fun :)

MostMagicalCat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:40 pm

Yes Project X is G-Force and on the new Drayton Manor website it says "G-Force - 1.3 metres" so you should be having a great ride Hope you have fun

thank you my friend, may the force be with you
[

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:06 am

This has probably also put their other plans back a year or so like Stormalongbay and the log cabins. Ahh well im shure Drayton Manor will have a few decent rides added before the hotel opens now

Stormalong bay is not planned to open untill 3 to 4 years after the hotel opens, and it is actually confirmed by the park that a 4d cinema will be installed into the park within the next few years and is very much likely that it will go next to Buccaner Burger Bar, i also read a few months back that people thought the new park staff room would be going where the 4d cinema will go, but this isnt the case, there is no way DMP would waste a space like that which is essentially 'front of house' (where the public are) if a new staff room was to be built it would probably go behind Pirate Adventure as there is some space there, but as it stands i dont think there is a staff room problem, as each dept has its own staff room with Catering staff room inside the T-shop, Rides staff room inside Pirate Adventure, and games Staff room behind Central Plaza. And finally, G Force, im unable to say if they have added a second train to the ride because i dont know, but they are having problems with the quieter wheels as when they put them onto the trains, the trains slide along the track. Also apocolypse is having extensive testing daily as this can be clearly seen from where ever you can see Apocolypse in Tamworth, which is alot of places. Thats all for now folks!

Williscroft

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Does that mean Apocalypes is having problems or something ? Im visiting the park on saturday (me b-day wahooo) and it wouldnt be the same without a ride on Apocalypse. Hope they have added the second car to G-Force as its strange waiting in a station for a car to finish and come back in lol. I remember someone going to the zoo in the winter and a staff member telling them they had put the second car on so fingers crossed :)

Glad the 4d will be happening soon as theres no realy type of show other than the circus to watch and get a break from the rides so that will be a nice addition. Drayton Manor was on ITV News yesturday btw and it is now the midlands 2nd most popular paid for visitor attraction :D

Anonymous

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Could the apocalypse testing be down to regular check ups its been a bad winter this year they could just be over testing it for when it opens this saturday?
Looking forward to see G-Force with its 2nd car on (fingers crossed) but cant wait to hear what they have done about the 'noise problem' roll on saturday!

Edit: Has anyone herd the adverts on galaxy radio station about Drayton Manor opening it counts down the days lol must be some major sponsership deal as they say the countdown in every break lol

Williscroft

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:11 pm

Im hoping its just the normal testing as ive been waiting so long to get back on it :) I wounder if they have started construction on the Drunken Barrels ride yet as they only have 3 months till the end of June roughly and its ment to be opening sometime in june. :)

Anonymous

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

lets hope so, im looking forward to riding it even thought its a family ride i hope its in the dark or with special effects lights maybe even useing G-Force's type of inside themeing would be a good idea?

Anonymous

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:51 pm

First of all: Sorry For double posting!

But I went Drayton Manor yesterday and not much has changed here’s a list of what’s been done over the closed season:

G-Force Still no second car even thought there was work being done on the maintenance track but there’s no way they will fit 2 cars into that area, they have fixed all the lights in the rides q line but no music only the bass is played? They have changed most of the wheels on the car but there’s still a noise problem with it I reckon its going to be one of those unfixable jobs

Shockwave they have still only painted half was up the curved track but they have painted all the inside of the que line a fresh white and cream and brown looks allot tidier but they still need more light in there. There was no new front on shockwave still the old one . . . So that must have just been a rumor.

They have had a tidy up in action park they have painted the outside of splash canyon que, planted some new plants and bark chipping making it look allot tidier. They have also put 2 new games stalls one were you shoot targets and water sprays etc and they are still building what looks like its going to be a car or racing game but something to fit into the theme area around the back of shockwave.

Storm Force 10 This was on and of all day they seemed to be having a problem with the weight of the boats and were the tires push it along kept stopping because of to much weight and boats getting jammed at the top of the last drop it closed for a wile then re-opened later but only 4 to a boat or 2 to a boat if you were an adult.

All rides were open on the day and it was quite busy for an opening day the new ride (drunken barrels) has had its footings put in and the wild west shootout has had some of its unwanted que lines taken out and new metal one put in painted brown and a new block paving they u must be joining it with the new ride as they are both having a wild west themeing to it ill take some pictures next time I go!

That’s all folks 'Over & Out' lol

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:32 pm

G-Force Still no second car even thought there was work being done on the maintenance track but there’s no way they will fit 2 cars into that area,

The maintance track on most rollercoasters is only designed to accomodate one train, as there is really no point in putting two trains in the maintance shed, when the ride only has two trains, they would just switch them over.

Williscroft

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:56 pm

Yer the park did look a lot fresher arround the action park area. Shockwave was alot nicer to Q for as you wernt in a dark thin box any more, its nice and clean and bright. I was disapointed with G-Forces Q-line as the lights are now working and the music was playing but all you could hear was the bass. So the opps could probably hear that and think the music was loud enough but it was quite anoying :(

Pirates adventure has had a bit of a clean up but some scenes havent had any change, like the UV one they have left all the litter in it that people have thrown in.

Excalibur needs fixing as its falling apart. All the sounds were out of time. The effects no longer work like the dragon in the water or the lady of the lake. The elephant kingdom roof has broke probably in the wind and it hanging off. And in the part with the dragons no of them worked, no moving dragon and no fire breathing dragon :(

Other than that the park is looking great and it seems like it will be yet another great season. What happend to the second G-Force car btw :?:

thorpecrazy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:23 pm

Official press release and an artists impression of the new Drunken Barrels ride added here: http://www.themeparks-uk.com/drayton_ma ... s_new.html

Looks like it will be quite fun, if a little odd choice for the park.
[url=http://www.ThemeParks-UK.com\" target=\"_blank]www.ThemeParks-UK.com[/url]
your guide to UK theme parks