UK theme parks from another point of view!

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Also ive herd rumors that there may be a launched coasting coming in a few years behind Apocalypse has anybody else herd this?

It could be true, 2005's new ride was going to be a launched dueling X-car where buffalow is called Barnstorm, but due to bad communication issues between the park and the designer we ended up with G-force over the otherside of the park,

Williscroft

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:30 pm

lmao, so your trying to say the park asked for a launched dueling coaster at one end of the park and one day G-Force just turned up on site.

Would of been a much better coaster and i hope the park keep the launch idea in their minds as that would realy make the park special :D

Wounder what they will open next year now, quite excited now knowing that they had that sort of ride in mind :D

Anonymous

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Omg.your joking that would have been ace i would of loved to see the plans for this ride (if there ever was any) the thought of a launched X-Car coaster would have been great, then again the thought of the X-Car lap bars on a launched coaster :shock: I dont rekon they will install another big attraction to the park for another few years now :x But hey heres hopeing :wink: anyway back to the point how do you know all this info?

draytonmanorplus
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:12 pm

The Launched coaster was going to go over the lake, i didnt know it was going to be dueling though. It would of been a better coaster.

Williscroft

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:30 pm

Im not so sure it would of been better as when sitting towards the back of G-Force with only those short bursts of speed the lap bars close so tightly making your ride very painful. Just think what it would be like with all the presure from the launch, it would make it a even more painful ride i feel.

It was said they were going to replace Shockwave with a launch so it seems like the park are realy after what all the other top parks are going for right now. We still could end up with another type of launch coaster in a few years. :D

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Drayton: Drunken Barrels

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:10 pm

Thought you might like to see a construction pic from Wednesday.

Looks like some quality themeing!

Really enjoyed my visit, loved G-Force and generally the whole new vibe Drayton seems to have developed in the last few years. While there I bought a book on the history of Drayton which makes great reading. Their first coaster was a Jetstar in 1981- never knew that!

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Where abouts is the ride situated Smeg? And anyone know what type of ride this is? Is it just Tea Cups with nice themeing or wha?

Steighvo
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:04 pm

Its replaced Cyclone. Which Thorpe now have i do believe? So its opposite the entrance to Apocalypse, next to the golden nuggets shoot out.

Pretty sure there is already a topic about this ride somewhere. It also shows what the ride is.
Touch my beans... said the man!

Alex.
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:13 pm

"mrstu" wrote:
Where abouts is the ride situated Smeg? And anyone know what type of ride this is? Is it just Tea Cups with nice themeing or wha?

Its like teacups but the platform tilts up, I also imagine it will be a bit faster than regualr teacups but im not sure.

Williscroft

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:30 pm

Finaly :D Some pictures, i would of gone and got some my self but my pass ran out in April and if i end up getting a job there in a few weeks then i would of been pointless re-newing my pass. Thanks alot for the pics.

Looks like its another great Drayton Manor themed attraction. People say Drayton Manor is crap but they have some great attractions and some of them themed extremely well (Maelstrom, Stormforce) and this seems to be another one to add to the collection :)

I can see this being a fun little attraction to go on with your mates. Its basicaly a teacup ride that you spin but the platform lifts up at the same time :)

Spendleb
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Anyone know when it opens?

Williscroft

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:46 pm

Well on the maps it says that its due to open the end of this month :) But that all depends on weather it's ready or not as it looks like theres still a bit of work to get done.

Spendleb
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:48 pm

no chance for the 26th then when we visit for the first time :-(

Williscroft

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:52 pm

I wouldn't say no just yet, 26th is pretty much the end of the month and they have well over a week untill the 26th. The actualy ride seems to be installed and it looks like just finishing off themeing the attraction now and cleaning the area up. Give Drayton Manor a ring and check though as they may know something.

What i like about Drayton's rides is that alot of the queues are sheltered and this seems to be another attraction where the queue is indoors. :)

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:51 pm

Wow, apart from G-Force, their themeing seems to be getting better and better! For me they're getting closer and closer to beating Thorpe.

This is great! I now have great faith in the Hotel and Waterpark if they can do this to a minimal flat ride. Fantastic work, I'm actually really impressed! I think Drayton Manor will eventually become a tiny version of the former Alton Towers.

Coaster Neil
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:22 pm

Individual rides already have as good theming as Thorpe park, it's areas as a whole which could do with improving. Theming on flat rides a Thorpe seems decidedly average and I don't think any of their flats rival Maelstrom. With a couple of exceptions such as Quantum they don't even match the theming on Pandemonium. Tidal Wave has brilliant theming, but Tidal Waves seems to be an odd one out rather than a rule and is probably no better better themed than Storm Force 10. Apocalypse is better themed than Detonator (although the cattle grid does led the side down) and the rapids at Drayton manor are atleast as good as the Rumba River Rapids. It would be nice to see Thorpe Park raise their game theming wise. I know they're doing all right and they're atleast as good as Flamingoland, but theming is hardly Europa park, Disney or Phantasialand standard. That's my thought anyway.

Personally I think the Drunken Barrels should be a good solid ride. It won't exactly cause Alton to start watching their back, but it certainly puts to shame American Adventure's two year spending strategy.

Going rather off topic how's theming coming along at Pleasurewood Hills? We've heard a lot about how over the next Grevin and Cie are focussing on theming and landscaping and wondered whether this had any substance.
Neil Wilson
[url=http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=780005374&ref=profile\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/prof ... ef=profile[/url]

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:56 pm

Completely agree.

What let's Drayton down for me is Action Park. The area is so amazingly cramped and small, and G-Force doesn't exactly help. The themeing is vaguley consistent, but the actual themeing doesn't seem to have a theme, it's just the same style and such. And what bemusses me is StormForce10, one of the most popular rides which is advertised in Fishermans Wharf, has an entrance right in Action Park, making it even busier. An entrance in the opposite direction would've been much better. Oh well, it owns the UK's best themed flat, Mealstrom (even though DMP may beat themselves with this.) For a UK park, their themeing is up their and is putting rivalling Altons currently, all they need is the egde of definate areas and the park will have everything Thorpe does and pretty much equal the former.

But Ariel Park has so much potential. It makes no sense as an area theme, but the indivigual rides are each really well themed, it houses some entertainment, and such has a general vibe IMO better than any of Thorpes areas. And it's so great to see it grow! Hopefully their next major coaster will replace the Buffalo in the parks nicest area, and will make great use of the lake, to make a coaster that'll finally and deservingly put them on the map.

Williscroft

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 pm

Finaly, some other people that have the same views on Drayton Manor as me :D

For me i see Drayton Manor as a mini thorpe park. Even though i havent been to Thorpe. The reason i compare the two is because from pictures they both give me the same amusment park feel rather than a magical place like Disney, Alton or Phantasialand.

I have to say that from what i can see this ride is going to be themed better that the last two at Alton. StormForce 10 and Maelstrom are themed extremely well. when pandemonium was installed i was dissapointed with the theme. I like the actualy ride with the clock type theme attached but i felt the controll box and the enterence looked tacky. However i am realy impressed with thr look of the Drunken Barrels.

If the park keep on going like this i can see the Hotel being a huge sucess. I mean people who are their on business meeting etc will use it throughout the year and if they price it rightly im sure many people will stop over the holidays ect. Cant wait for more pics :D

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:10 am

Drayton's themeing is superb and as I've said their seemed to be a great atmosphere on park. The staff we're allr eally friendly - and this friendiness came naturally unlike Alton where occaissionally it seems forced.

I really like DM, and hope the Hotel finally puts it on the map as a serious contender in the Theme park stakes.

G-Force
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Wow looks amazing, Drunken barrels is set to open in the last week of june or the first few weeks in july. ill let you know when i get the exact date from drayton.

This shall be a great investment for drayton and shall bring more family's into the park.
R U Ready TO Experiance The Force Of The G