UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Legoland Discovery Centre Birmingham

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Merlin have officially submitted plans for a new Legoland Discovery Centre to be located in Birmingham.

The new attraction will be located in the Barclaycard Arena (close to the Birmingham Sealife Centre) and will occupy existing retail space which was developed when the Barclaycard Sponsorship of the arena began but has never been used, as well as space currently taken up by the basement car park level (which would mean the loss of 140 car park spaces).

The centre is expected to include a 4D cinema, games and rides, similar to the Manchester Discovery Centre, although precisely what type of rides will be included is not yet clear. The centre will open 10am-6pm, seven days a week (with the exception of Christmas Day), and create up to 30 full time and 10 part time jobs.

If approved it is expected to be a significant boost for tourism in Birmingham, particularly for the family market. It will also help the regeneration of the west of the city. It will also complement Birmingham Sealife Centre offering two attractions to visit within close proximity.

If approved, it is anticipated the new attraction should open in 2018.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Legoland Discovery Centre Birmingham

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:42 pm

My prediction is that Birmingham will become a new merlin cluster, I'd love a dungeons to come to Birmingham - as Birmingham does have a very rich history!

With the Legoland Discovery Centre, I can imagine on concert days that area will be hellish.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Having taken a look at the actual planning application, and more specifically the 'GENERAL ARRANGEMENT - PROPOSED LEVEL 1' document (can't directly link as it seems to expire), the following attractions/facilities seem to be included;

• LEGO Factory Tour (with preshow)
  • Dark Ride - potentially Kingdom Quest Laser Ride as at LDC Manchester, with inclusion of Court Jester minifigure on plans
  • MINILAND
  • LEGO Friends Olivia's House
  • LEGO DUPLO Farm
  • Merlin's Apprentice Ride
  • Physical Play area - potentially something similar to LEGO Fire Academy/Construction Site at LDC Manchester
  • LEGO Racers: Build & Test including Earthquake Table
  • Creative Workshop - potentially Master Model Builder as at LDC Manchester
  • LEGO 4D Cinema
  • Birthday Rooms
  • Cafe

Stan.H wrote:
My prediction is that Birmingham will become a new merlin cluster...

There is a 'Cluster Office' shown on the plans, possibly suggesting that those are Merlin's intentions.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Interesting that the idea of a cluster should be mentioned. Don't forget that Warwick Castle is only a short distance away by both train and car and so is ideally placed for families to visit whilst they are in the area. It really wouldn't surprise me to see Merlin offer a three attraction combi ticket for Birmingham Sealife, LDC, and Warwick Castle. It also plays nicely into Merlin's short breaks strategy in that they will potentially market a short break to include a visit to the Birmingham attractions on one day, a trip to Warwick Castle on another day with a stay at Warwick Castle's lodges overnight.