UK theme parks from another point of view!

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:15 pm

Also, in terms of developments inside the park, the little MG Ralley hut opposite the log flume is now complete and in operation and was doing quite well yesterday. I think it will stay in nthe park for a while as its clearly making them a fortune. The new hut fits in much better with silver city than that table with poster behind it did

Ah! That's what it is! It was well on the way to completion last week so I'm not suprised it's now finished. It isn't the same ghastly shade of green as the toilet block though, is it? Like that sort of colour fits in with Wild West theming!

Even if the MG Rally goes, I'm sure they can fit a few arcade games in there :wink:

darrenhosker
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:39 pm

"colin_p" wrote:
Twice?

Yes, what I mean is that the line was altered once before the AA opened in 1987 and into the current circuit in 1989.

The Britannia Park line ran from where the Yankee Clipper now stands to approx where the Spaceport Halt is now. The line was cut short by the AA to make way for Silver City and the log flume. Their line started at the point where the adventure playground now stands (the station building is still there), the loop was retained at what is now Spaceport, and the line extended to what is now the siding. The station building here stayed in place until very early in the 1998 season, before being demolished to make way for the tent.

The 1989 rebuilding obliterated all that was left of the Britannia Park line. This is very much a potted history- I once wrote a much fuller one! I'll try to upload the map of the line to the site in due course.

EDIT: I have now uploaded the diagram for the Britannia Park line, and I've also re-done the photos as I wasn't happy with the way they looked!

Whats your site address?

Dazza

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:54 pm

Whats your site address?

It's lost in one of the posts up there somewhere! But here it is again:

http://www.miniaturerailways.fotopic.net/c248496.html

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:05 pm

Darren no offense but could u please remove your sig as it is too big for this forum it streches it.

And has anyone seen the AA vid on Coaster Force?
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:12 am

no whats it about???
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:09 pm

It's just the park in a video go check the website out in CF-TV

http://www.coasterforce.com
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:55 pm

"colin_p" wrote:
I cant understand that bit of yellow round the bottom of the aztec kingdom building as you walk up the hill from silver city. Did they decide to paint some and then get bored or something.

IIRC there used to be a painting on the end of the building where that ghastly sign is now, it was a view down a canyon and was quite well done. I think it fell off a couple of years ago :lol:
!

Yes I know about that. It didnt fall off, it was just removed because it was concidered structurally unsafe. You can still see a bit of it around the edges and its really faded. But what I was saying is that I cant understand why they painted just the bottom bit yelloow as you can still see part of that old picture.
Also, I like that big new sign which has recently been added to the area of the aztec building where the picture used to be. Its a shame AA never get new rides because they could advertise them there. Imagine an advert for something like Nemesis Inferno: Coming in 2005 being there. It could be seen from all round the park and would definately make people return, or they could advertise fireworks events on there

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:31 pm

Hey guys, a while a go some of you may remember i commented on that i had come up with a short term development plan, that i was considering sending off to the park. Its an alternative way of spending the £15million earmarked for the proposed holiday village development.

Well this is basically what i had in mind.

Year One
  • Redevelopment of Space Port area of the park. This is enthasise the Space/Future theme more positively and clearly. With all existing buildings and attractions receiving a refurb and new themeing added to the area.
  • The superkarts attraction would also be rethemed into a Moon Buggy type racing attraction, keeping the existing track and cars (with a repaint) and adding some new features around the track, such as rock formations, etc, etc
  • A major new thrill ride based around a mission to another planet, preferably Mars, the actual ride would be a Mondial Topscan set into a heavily themed plot.
  • The Fort St Lawrence area of the park would also receive a general refurb, although this area is generally in good condition.
  • The River Rapids would be refurbed also, with general clean up, and added theming, including new rock features to emphasise the "rocky mountain" part of the ride.
  • A "Splat Attack" attraction would also be added to the ride, where non riding guests can use water guns to shoot passengers on passing boats. This would be a pay per use attraction.
  • A new Jungle Adventure ride would replace the Vintage Cars in Aztec Kingdom, and new themeing added to the area. The Rocket Ride would also be relocated to Space Port.

Year Two
  • JCB World removed/relocated to make way for major redevelopment of that space.
  • The Alamo area would be greatly extended onto the old superkarts area, which would see in the installation of a well themed maze, large family flat ride - possibly a Sombrero (Drayton Manor) type ride as this fits the Alamo/Mexican theme. New retail and catering facilities and amusements will also be included.
  • extensive themeing will be built into the new area extension and then comtinued into the existing area which will receive a general clean up.
  • The Twin Looper would also be returned to its former glory, with the loops being repainted back to an off white color, and the ride area landscaped.
  • A new main entrance facility would also be built, nothing to big, but deffinalty more permanent and welcoming.

Year Three
  • The Waterfront area would be refurbished and improved and the New Orleans Mall fully utilised.
  • Snake Island would be extended with land reclaimed from the lake, and a family coaster installed, the Tennessee Tenticals ride would be removed. The coaster would be something of a similar scale to Spinball Whizzer and would have a Storm at sea theme.
  • Silver City completly refurbed, and improved, including the Nightmare Niagara flume ride

Year Four
  • Five general attractions installed across the park. Including a new Rocking Tug ride to the Waterfront, a small thrill ride to the new Alamo area, and new attraction to Aztec Kingdom to replace the ageing Carousel and a climbing wall to replace the Helter Skelter. A junior drop tower ride (Fabbri jungle drop tower) would be added to Silver City.
  • Redvelopment of the Aztec area would be completed with complete refurb of the moutains interior.

Year Five
  • A major new attraction would be installed this year. Whether it be a new large thrill coaster, possibly a B&M flying or inverted. The scale of the development would depend upon success of previous years developments.

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:17 pm

Sounds really good, it'll be nice for AA. Not sure on the B&M coaster.

But i'll add that to my 2006 UK tour i hope i'll do
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:33 pm

I dont know about your ideas around the alamo. If you look from the top of the twin looper lift hill youll see that there is actually loads of empty space far past the old Indy Karts area. A whole new area of the park could be built here, not just a ride. In terms of the new orleans mall, the reason it isnt utilised is because if it was itd make no money. In 1987 it was full of shops and cafes but was really unpopular. The only 2 shops Ive seen open during my 6 visits this season have been Stolen Goods and the joke shop. This is the first time Ive seen stolen goods open for years and this was in the middle of July (one of their busiest times) and it was still empty. I personally think it needs demolition.
Could you link me to a picture of sombrero at Drayton Manor as Ive never seen it.

Martin1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:40 pm

that does sound good but would aa actually listen to you if you did it? it would be good if you did send it you never know it would be fantastic the park if they did it

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:59 pm

It could not be done with Ventureworld as they could not possibly invest that amount of time money and effort into the park. Its a great plan all in all and Id like to see it happen but under Ventureworld it just isnt possible. Maybe send it to tussauds and see if they fancy taking over AA.
If they did a system could operate like down south were one could be a family park and one a thrill park (American Adventure and Alton Towers being the 2 parks in case you hadnt guesed)

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:03 pm

well havent they already got that for example, thorpe/and alton anre both kinda thrill parks and chessie is the family one.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:04 pm

well havent they already got that for example, thorpe and alton are both kinda thrill parks and chessie is the family one.

bigblade40
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:14 pm

thats why they said 'Like down south' !!!! :D
bigblade40

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:40 pm

What I meant was that in the south there is one thrill park and one family park. In the north, we have one Tussauds park only which is sort of a thrill and family park- a bit closer to a thrill park really. If Tussauds took over AA (which I doubt they will), Alton could be marketed more as a thrill park- like TP and AA could be marketed as the family park like Chessington.
So Tussauds would have 4 theme parks- 2 thrill, 2 family. An even balance.

Sazzle

Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:17 am

How we can wish, eh? Tussauds could inject massive amounts of much needed funding into AA, maybe concentrating on flat rides and the repainting/restructuring of some (apparently) 'themed' areas.

As optimistic as I generally am, I can't possibly see Tussauds EVER touching AA. Bring on the day when I am forced to eat my humble pie - I gladly will! The park simply does not hold enough potential for an international company like Tussauds to even consider investing in. This has been said before (by the groups themselves if I recall correctly) and I'm not altogether sure AA has increased its potential... Quite the opposite infact!

An even balance could be good for Tussauds, though the majority of themepark goers are those seeking adrenaline! The audience for family parks is generally a fair bit smaller than that of thrill parks, though I admit the intended audience types are different again, and so cannot be compared.

The thought of AT having a sister park less than an hour away could also have some unforeseen affects on them. Families with children could well begin to drift over to AA - leaving AT with lower gate figures, possibly meaning the popularity (at least with families) could be snatched away. Not good for AT!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Back to AA - anyone seen this 'rocket themed coaster' yet? I've not had chance to go as I've only just managed to drag myself back from the East Coast (riding the likes of MC and JO [ouch] :P).
Last edited by Sazzle on Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:36 am

yes its a frog hopper ride. looks pretty tacky.

Emmaly
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:53 pm

While browsing ATA I found this:

I was there that day, and it looked as though they where testing it.

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:26 am

Hey that's quite cool, nice thememing too never knew u could do that before
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3